dollywobbler

Dollywobbler's Foxy little number

Bedford HA wheels,Reliant bought the surplus stock from GM when ha production ended. Fat rubber can rub the front arches of leaf springs,fox bodies are mounted either slightly too forward or slightly too back,if yours is slightly forward the front wheels should clear.

check the temp sender,there are at least three types out there that match different gauges,regal type,70s/80s type,and post 96.

main thing to do is remove the rear drain plug on the block and rod the silt out the back if the liners. Thermostat needs a bleed hole in it or air locks can happen.heater must be plumbed in as it adds much needed capacity.dont worry if you brim the rad and it blows some out,they all do this,the correct level is just above the fins. 7psi cap.

Mine is slightly too far back. I reckon the wheels might rub the front arches on a bit compression with just the wrong amount of lock.

Sender is fine. Gauge looks trustworthy now.

The rear drain plug simply snapped off, so that was the end of that. Stat does have a bleed hole, heater is plumbed in.

Not that you've got time now,but brick acid or calgon have been used in the past to clear the scale out the block when the bolt has snapped.

ref the sender,,reliant even issued a service bulletin to say the temp reading was only a guide and so long as it was near the middle that was ok.

I made it to Bromley, but with the temp gauge running high pretty much the entire time, and the coolant has gone all mucky again. Oh, and all the oil vanished. By the time I reached Wiltshire, there was just a drop touching the bottom of the dipstick...

I've a horrible feeling the head gasket has gone. Going home on Monday is going to be interesting...

Here's the first stop at Leigh Delamere after a complete sod of a bridge crossing. M5 backing up on the M4 and M48 closed equals nightmare!

IMG_20190622_163936_999.jpg

I made it to Bromley, but with the temp gauge running high pretty much the entire time, and the coolant has gone all mucky again. Oh, and all the oil vanished. By the time I reached Wiltshire, there was just a drop touching the bottom of the dipstick...
I've a horrible feeling the head gasket has gone. Going home on Monday is going to be interesting...
Here's the first stop at Leigh Delamere after a complete sod of a bridge crossing. M5 backing up on the M4 and M48 closed equals nightmare!

IMG_20190622_163936_999.thumb.jpg.526a527ce37f15a135dc7b440650a4f5.jpg
A shame if it is OMG HGF but having just caught up with progress on the Reliant I must say you've achieved a hell of a lot in a short space of time.

Maybe it's hinting at that electric conversion you mentioned

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Yeah, he thought it was, but decided it was crap fuel as the second engine he tried was the same. I have not seen a hint of blue smoke from the exhaust. Unlike an Alfa Romeo 159 I saw today...

Probably Put 2-stroke mix in his tank. Hope Foxanne makes it back in one piece after Bromley

The weekend in brief.

Pretend this is Saturday morning. It was actually Friday evening, but she looked much the same, only with a bonnet.

D9muY8bXoAE5vOP.jpg

Leigh Delamere. Bonnet off again as I tried to work out how all the oil had vanished. Radiator was full of mayo again.

D9qmfJZX4AAbc2w.jpg

She was driving well though, and despite the temp gauge sitting far too high, she felt ok so I just kept going. 60mph (sat nav, 65 on the speedo due to my new tyres) felt very comfortable, so we just did that for hours. Epic queues across the Severn Bridge and parts of the M25, but no steam detected. Proceeded with caution. By Bracknell, the oil was below minimum again... I added the last of my oil.

Bromley Pageant was achieved. This was about seven AM. Outlaw118 very kindly brought me some 20w50 oil, as I could not find any for sale at this classic car show. DISAPPOINT.

D9uWpPZXsAEmvpP.jpg

Foxanne went down a storm and many people came for a look at my dreadful paint. Most thought it far better than they expected. 

This morning at my lovely AirBNB. I topped up the oil yet again, though it had only dropped as far as the minimum this time.

D9z6mIPXkAAKsDT.jpg

Plucking up courage to tackle the M25. At one stage, we managed 70mph in the fast lane! 

D90FXVYW4AA0uD7.jpg

Banbury. Had to top the oil up again - another litre. That was 2 litres gone in 187 miles...

D90ng-7WwAAi4na.jpg

Wales. She was still overheating, so I went Roadkill and left the bonnet off. This brought the temp gauge down a bit, but only over 50mph. I think that comfirms the rad as key culprit. Handily, a new one arrived today! Three-row as well. Dead posh.

D91jCw2XkAACBSX.jpg

However, I made it home! On getting home, I revved the engine hard and noticed acrid blue smoke. Ah, that's where the oil was going then! I shall fit the new radiator, flush the coolant and see how she goes (at some point). In less than two weeks, I'm off on my jollies in the 2CV, so I can't promise any further progress on the Fox. 2CV now needs to be the focus! So, she made it, with issues, but none that ever brought her to a halt. I'm saying that's pretty good. She buzzes along merrily enough. Noisy, naturally, and all of the revs, but these Reliant motors are so sweet. I did 70mph along the A5 again, just to prove she can comfortably do it. Kill or cure!

The ride is bouncy as hell, so I suspect new dampers would be a good idea. Perhaps new bushes up front as well as she reacts very badly to potholes. Otherwise, she's quite a jolly little thing.

very happy to see she made it there and back under her own power despite the fact she goes through Oil like I go through hot chocolate :mrgreen:

so is oil leaking into the coolant system or is the mayo just from crap left in the old radiator? I was just wondering as you dont want to clog up your shiny new radiator with crap if it is leaking into the cooling system!

I thought it might be head gasket, but gave her a right ol' spanking today to see if that made things worse. It didn't. So, could well be crap lodged in the old radiator, which was the one fitted when it catastrophically overheated with the previous engine (and owner). 

Yeah... it's astonishing how long the cooling system components can be shedding oily gunk for following a HG failure.

If not head gasket though it does beg the question as to where the oil's going...with those volumes vanishing I'd be looking at the PCV oil separator first probably.  Rings being so worn as to use that much I'd have expected to result in notably low compression and poor performance...but she seems peppy enough in the videos...

Really does seem a cheerful little thing...

Is it really bad that I'm looking at these and thinking "that would be great for carrying the dog around..." Now?

I have -1 spaces available...Need to sell at least the Lada before I can even think about getting any more cars...and already have my eyes on something anyway!

I would suggest valve stem seals; quite possibly they've dried out from lack of use or are just knackered. After you've been to Croatia, see if you get any blue smoke on a cold startup, normally a sign they've worn.

As Zelandeth says also check any breather system the engine has, could be a blocked hose, or even the cap itself is clogged if it has a mesh or valve in it.

Have a horrible feeling I've reached the end of the road with this one. I don't get enough pleasure out of driving it to justify it being such a pain in the arse to work on. So I don't think it'll be coming to Chumleigh. Quite what I do with it, I'm not sure. I doubt it's worth much, it has HubNut painted on the sides of it and it is still putting oil into the coolant. Bah.