dollywobbler

Dollywobbler's Foxy little number

5 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Thanks folks! Had a bit of a break, then did a bit more fettling, then went for another drive.

17th June 2019

D9SkAxyXYAEjW2E.jpg:large

18th June 2018

D9SkLqZXkAULVC8.jpg

you do a good job at rescuing and recommissioning fibreglass cars :) (love the hubnut in white on the side of the body LOL)

(did that lorry ever find its contact lense? :mrgreen: )

1 hour ago, Skut said:

Well done on pass. A30 35 wheels same fitment and size as an Imps are they not. 

Imp is 12" A30/35 are bigger 14" if my memory serves me right

17 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

so proper mini wheels will work

The offset is quite a bit out. Would need about 3/4" spacers on the back or else the tyres would be rubbing the leaf springs.

Today, I put about 50 miles on the Fox, including a trip to the new unit to replace diff and gearbox oil. So nice to have working space around the car! The Fox is a big hit with the birds too...

D9WWmwOUYAAiT-C.jpg

The diff seemed to have no oil in it whatsoever, while the gearbox definitely took more than it dropped. Worth doing then!

She's not going too badly, but I still need to try and set the ignition timing properly. I have at least three strobes, and can't currently find any of them...

60mph is just about possible, but it's hard work, and the temp gauge sits right at the top of 'I'm not scared just yet' when pushing on. Some tweaking to do I think. On the plus side, you don't really need to slow down much for bends it seems, even on shit tyres...

22 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

The diff seemed to have no oil in it whatsoever, while the gearbox definitely took more than it dropped. Worth doing then!

no oil in the diff? good thing ya checked!, could of been a nasty surprise (especially if the diff sized solid or something at 60)

have to say the fox makes a nice engine noise :)

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

no oil in the diff? good thing ya checked!, could of been a nasty surprise (especially if the diff sized solid or something at 60)

have to say the fox makes a nice engine noise :)

Yeah, I've had that happen in an LDV Convoy, it was "exciting" to say the least.

We're not actually 100% certain if the gearbox seized first and detonated the diff or vice-versa...a significant portion of both wound up strewn over about 1/4 of a mile of the A90 just north of Dundee however.  The total lack of oil on the road was quite obvious and most likely was a major factor we think.

These engines in my experience are nippy,eager little things and it's the overall gearing that limits their speed rather than their modest CC/BHP.

Could it be running a bit weak on the fueling side of things too.

Did the MOT guys give you a paper copy of its test emissions result ?

It was just within emissions limits, so definitely not weak. However, I have just discovered that I'm only getting about three-quarter throttle with the pedal mashed into the floor. That'd do it! Timing tweaks this morning have improved matters, but I am now trying to work out how to rid myself of free play so the throttle pedal actually does what it should.

I'll see what I can do. Probably not today, but no rush.

More importantly, I did remember that I entirely forgot to grease the propshaft while I conveniently had the Fox in the air for the transmission fluids yesterday. That has now been addressed. New tyres should arrive tomorrow.

With the throttle now actually opening fully, this is a car transformed! Sounds proper GRRRR and has a decent turn of speed for a little'un. Thank goodness I spotted that before setting off. I guess it was in Eco mode before...

Today began with tyre swapping - once I managed to locate the tyres. Had them shipped to my local garage, but they just abandoned them at something looking a bit like a garage because it had a petrol pump outside...

These are 155/80 R12s to replace the 145/70 R12. Gets me a few more MPH per RPM, has the speedo under-reading nicely and should benefit ride if not handling. BIG profile!

D9kuVKVX4AEK1L2.jpg

Then came back home and gave the ol' girl an oil change. It was quite black, presumably because there has been a lot of choke-use and not so many miles.

D9lJdEQXkAEafM1.jpg

Yesterday's video action if you care for such things.

So, that's it. I just need to cram everything I can into the Fox, with the long journey to Bromley starting tomorrow (not today as I'd originally planned). Temp gauge still a little high for comfort, so I reckon a new rad is going to be needed at some point. I hope I don't encounter that point over the weekend...

Looks tremendous fun. As the bonnet is detachable you could always take it off Roadkill style to lower underbonnet temps if desperate enough. As you say not much reason to buy one over a Metro van new other than longevity. Still a body that has no theoretical lifespan versus a body with a 7 year lifespan is better value long term. 

The hoon back home looked fun. Hopefully the new boots make the journey to Bromley a little more relaxing. Distinctive looks + Peppy buzzy engine + musical gearbox = vehicle with character in droves.

Re: wheels - pretty sure the wheels you currently have on Foxanne are AustinRover era Mini 12 inchers with original size tyres for a base/City model. Maybe you could get away with a nice set of wheels from a Mini?

31 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Awesome stuff :)

I remember in one video you mentioned the fan belt being a bit loose, and as such it was slipping somewhat, did you end up tensioning that up? :)

Yes. Finally did that the other day. Can't remember if I filmed it...

19 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

The hoon back home looked fun. Hopefully the new boots make the journey to Bromley a little more relaxing. Distinctive looks + Peppy buzzy engine + musical gearbox = vehicle with character in droves.

Re: wheels - pretty sure the wheels you currently have on Foxanne are AustinRover era Mini 12 inchers with original size tyres for a base/City model. Maybe you could get away with a nice set of wheels from a Mini?

Wheels are apparently Vauxhall Viva HA, though it wouldn't surprise me if they've been replaced by Mini wheels. I did note that the clearance to the front panel is not great with the new rubber...

Having got the Fox packed, I actually had some free time. So I decided to do something about this.

D9mRDLJWkAAOO9t.jpg

That's typically where the gauge would sit if I had the temerity to exceed 50mph. Not great.

Found some flushing fluid, which is handy, as I'm fresh out of cola. Icky!

D9mRKexXUAAzXAX.jpg

Then went for a test drive up the Shitefest Cymru test hill, fully laden, foot to the floor.

D9mRUtpW4AAQ0Gi.jpg

That's better! It did go slightly higher than that, but only slightly. Result!