Dollywobbler's Foxy little number

dollywobbler

This will be of no help whatsoever but I see, on a regular, basis a 

red A reg Fox van round where I am. I dislike it because it's older

than my heap and I want to be driving the oldest daily in my hood yo.

I am hell bent on making mine last longer. It's all down to my

determination to be bottom dog.

Could you not hoist the car up with the engine crane and straps, then move engine into place. Drop car down and then use the crane to help line up?

Is this chassis based? I.e. take the body off first, get everything setup on the chassis then drop the body back on.

I had to put the Pontiac up on stands to get the engine crane to clear all the bits underneath. Just check your overhead- you may be able to shorten the chain on the crane by hooking it through a different link if not.

Does the owner of the crane have a leveler bar to go with it? Makes the lift up/over/tilt down significantly easier, even with a lightweight* engine like that.

Phil

*All things are relative

I had to put the Pontiac up on stands to get the engine crane to clear all the bits underneath. Just check your overhead- you may be able to shorten the chain on the crane by hooking it through a different link if not.

Does the owner of the crane have a leveler bar to go with it? Makes the lift up/over/tilt down significantly easier, even with a lightweight* engine like that.

Phil

*All things are relative

No leveller bar. 

To be honest, the biggest problem at the moment is I've had about 600 suggestions across social media and on here for how to proceed. Trying to decide what counts as useful info and what doesn't is tricky, but there are certainly folk with more experience of these engines in this chassis that I'm minded to pay attention to. Mrs DW might have her own thoughts, so we'll see what happens. 

That said, I'm mid-way through rebuilding the Skoda's rear wiper, so that might have to be priority number one tomorrow.

It's impossible to say without being there seeing it in person and the struggles/what the issues are, but having seen the last video, the thought that went through my head when i saw how it was all mounted was "that'll be a pig to get in".

It looked kinda like the mounts themselves were angled in off the chassis rails? So simultaneously getting the engine angled into the bay, those to fall into place and getting the gearbox to align and slide on i could imagine great ballache.

I think if it were me tackling it (and i could be wrong, but just floating the suggestion out there), i'd have the car on stands for extra height and access, both engine mounts off on the engine side (the actual brackets unbolted) and be focusing on getting the engine in the slot and gearbox lined up. From there the mounts could probably be put in place with the engine still supported on the crane, mounts bolted onto the chassis and finally to the engine, using the crane as the aligner.

I'm no reliant expert, probably the opposite infact, but certainly done more than my fair share of cramming things into tiny engine bays and getting them all to line up!

11816099_10153084336945669_1225182123107

The rear gearbox mount on that was a real pig to align, ended up having to swing the whole engine/gearbox assembly on one loosened mount and a floor jack just to get the bracket to line up and tighten the whole lot up in stages, one mount at a time (out of 3).

Have redone my attachment points on the engine. Bit concerned I may not have enough slack in the chain - ie for tilting - so may have another go.

I've also removed the offside front wheel, so hopefully the hoist can now actually go as far as I need it to. I will soon have Mrs DW on hoist duty, because you can't align the engine and lower the hoist on your own. So, one more attempt at fitting it to the gearbox inside the car. If it isn't going to happen, I'll pull the gearbox out. Oh and one rear wheel is jacked up so if we get close, we can turn that wheel to turn the gearbox and hopefully align the splines. Wish us luck!

Have redone my attachment points on the engine. Bit concerned I may not have enough slack in the chain - ie for tilting - so may have another go.

I've also removed the offside front wheel, so hopefully the hoist can now actually go as far as I need it to. I will soon have Mrs DW on hoist duty, because you can't align the engine and lower the hoist on your own. So, one more attempt at fitting it to the gearbox inside the car. If it isn't going to happen, I'll pull the gearbox out. Oh and one rear wheel is jacked up so if we get close, we can turn that wheel to turn the gearbox and hopefully align the splines. Wish us luck!

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk