Dollywobbler's Foxy little number

dollywobbler

These engines in my experience are nippy,eager little things and it's the overall gearing that limits their speed rather than their modest CC/BHP.

Could it be running a bit weak on the fueling side of things too.

Did the MOT guys give you a paper copy of its test emissions result ?

It was just within emissions limits, so definitely not weak. However, I have just discovered that I'm only getting about three-quarter throttle with the pedal mashed into the floor. That'd do it! Timing tweaks this morning have improved matters, but I am now trying to work out how to rid myself of free play so the throttle pedal actually does what it should.

I'll see what I can do. Probably not today, but no rush.

More importantly, I did remember that I entirely forgot to grease the propshaft while I conveniently had the Fox in the air for the transmission fluids yesterday. That has now been addressed. New tyres should arrive tomorrow.

With the throttle now actually opening fully, this is a car transformed! Sounds proper GRRRR and has a decent turn of speed for a little'un. Thank goodness I spotted that before setting off. I guess it was in Eco mode before...

Today began with tyre swapping - once I managed to locate the tyres. Had them shipped to my local garage, but they just abandoned them at something looking a bit like a garage because it had a petrol pump outside...

These are 155/80 R12s to replace the 145/70 R12. Gets me a few more MPH per RPM, has the speedo under-reading nicely and should benefit ride if not handling. BIG profile!

D9kuVKVX4AEK1L2.jpg

Then came back home and gave the ol' girl an oil change. It was quite black, presumably because there has been a lot of choke-use and not so many miles.

D9lJdEQXkAEafM1.jpg

Yesterday's video action if you care for such things.

So, that's it. I just need to cram everything I can into the Fox, with the long journey to Bromley starting tomorrow (not today as I'd originally planned). Temp gauge still a little high for comfort, so I reckon a new rad is going to be needed at some point. I hope I don't encounter that point over the weekend...

Looks tremendous fun. As the bonnet is detachable you could always take it off Roadkill style to lower underbonnet temps if desperate enough. As you say not much reason to buy one over a Metro van new other than longevity. Still a body that has no theoretical lifespan versus a body with a 7 year lifespan is better value long term. 

The hoon back home looked fun. Hopefully the new boots make the journey to Bromley a little more relaxing. Distinctive looks + Peppy buzzy engine + musical gearbox = vehicle with character in droves.

Re: wheels - pretty sure the wheels you currently have on Foxanne are AustinRover era Mini 12 inchers with original size tyres for a base/City model. Maybe you could get away with a nice set of wheels from a Mini?

31 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Awesome stuff :)

I remember in one video you mentioned the fan belt being a bit loose, and as such it was slipping somewhat, did you end up tensioning that up? :)

Yes. Finally did that the other day. Can't remember if I filmed it...

19 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

The hoon back home looked fun. Hopefully the new boots make the journey to Bromley a little more relaxing. Distinctive looks + Peppy buzzy engine + musical gearbox = vehicle with character in droves.

Re: wheels - pretty sure the wheels you currently have on Foxanne are AustinRover era Mini 12 inchers with original size tyres for a base/City model. Maybe you could get away with a nice set of wheels from a Mini?

Wheels are apparently Vauxhall Viva HA, though it wouldn't surprise me if they've been replaced by Mini wheels. I did note that the clearance to the front panel is not great with the new rubber...

Having got the Fox packed, I actually had some free time. So I decided to do something about this.

D9mRDLJWkAAOO9t.jpg

That's typically where the gauge would sit if I had the temerity to exceed 50mph. Not great.

Found some flushing fluid, which is handy, as I'm fresh out of cola. Icky!

D9mRKexXUAAzXAX.jpg

Then went for a test drive up the Shitefest Cymru test hill, fully laden, foot to the floor.

D9mRUtpW4AAQ0Gi.jpg

That's better! It did go slightly higher than that, but only slightly. Result!

Bedford HA wheels,Reliant bought the surplus stock from GM when ha production ended. Fat rubber can rub the front arches of leaf springs,fox bodies are mounted either slightly too forward or slightly too back,if yours is slightly forward the front wheels should clear.

check the temp sender,there are at least three types out there that match different gauges,regal type,70s/80s type,and post 96.

main thing to do is remove the rear drain plug on the block and rod the silt out the back if the liners. Thermostat needs a bleed hole in it or air locks can happen.heater must be plumbed in as it adds much needed capacity.dont worry if you brim the rad and it blows some out,they all do this,the correct level is just above the fins. 7psi cap.

Mine is slightly too far back. I reckon the wheels might rub the front arches on a bit compression with just the wrong amount of lock.

Sender is fine. Gauge looks trustworthy now.

The rear drain plug simply snapped off, so that was the end of that. Stat does have a bleed hole, heater is plumbed in.

I made it to Bromley, but with the temp gauge running high pretty much the entire time, and the coolant has gone all mucky again. Oh, and all the oil vanished. By the time I reached Wiltshire, there was just a drop touching the bottom of the dipstick...

I've a horrible feeling the head gasket has gone. Going home on Monday is going to be interesting...

Here's the first stop at Leigh Delamere after a complete sod of a bridge crossing. M5 backing up on the M4 and M48 closed equals nightmare!

IMG_20190622_163936_999.jpg

I made it to Bromley, but with the temp gauge running high pretty much the entire time, and the coolant has gone all mucky again. Oh, and all the oil vanished. By the time I reached Wiltshire, there was just a drop touching the bottom of the dipstick...
I've a horrible feeling the head gasket has gone. Going home on Monday is going to be interesting...
Here's the first stop at Leigh Delamere after a complete sod of a bridge crossing. M5 backing up on the M4 and M48 closed equals nightmare!

IMG_20190622_163936_999.thumb.jpg.526a527ce37f15a135dc7b440650a4f5.jpg
A shame if it is OMG HGF but having just caught up with progress on the Reliant I must say you've achieved a hell of a lot in a short space of time.

Maybe it's hinting at that electric conversion you mentioned

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Yeah, he thought it was, but decided it was crap fuel as the second engine he tried was the same. I have not seen a hint of blue smoke from the exhaust. Unlike an Alfa Romeo 159 I saw today...

Probably Put 2-stroke mix in his tank. Hope Foxanne makes it back in one piece after Bromley