Dollywobbler's Foxy little number

dollywobbler

Thankfully, my pressure washer is mostly gathering dust...

Yacht varnish is one idea, but I don't want to lose the matt effect I've gone for. I've got one tin of aerosol matt acrylic sealer, which I might try. It'll take a few of them to do the entire car though, and I might actually have to mask bits of it off.

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I'd better not paint the roof white then...

Second coat is looking much better. Ditched the roller, went for a brush.

D7gb7evXYAAYKUN.jpg

Oh yes paint the roof white, that would be a really fun subtle nod to an early Mk12 Invacar that only pretty me and Egg would get anyway :mrgreen:

Yeah, here's the thing. So far, the paint job has cost me about £15 - and I've still got three quarters of a tin of paint left. This is a question of just how cheaply you can paint a car. Start using proper, actually-suitable paint and it starts getting very expensive. I think I'll for a few cans of clear matt lacquer and a darned good waxing and see how that fares.

Mind you, I must remember that I haven't painted the canopy, bonnet or mirrors yet...

35 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Yeah, here's the thing. So far, the paint job has cost me about £15 - and I've still got three quarters of a tin of paint left. This is a question of just how cheaply you can paint a car. Start using proper, actually-suitable paint and it starts getting very expensive.

I think this paint job cost me around £15

39800792070_7284403253_z.jpgRJC_1104 by srblythe, on Flickr

39800799620_d0a1fb1b05_z.jpgRJC_1091 by srblythe, on Flickr

40716944505_35e529273a_z.jpgRJC_1098 by srblythe, on Flickr

I used a generic hammerite knock off through a spray gun. It was a little bit more durable and just as inexpensive.

Doesn't emulsion have a very low UV resistance? What does blue turn to if you mix yellow into it? ;)

I'd wager my luck a bit more with a can of narrow boat paint or similar. Alternatively bulk buy a load of cheapish Rustoleum painters choice rattle cans (same stuff Vulgalore used). That's the intension with the 1100 when it's time comes for painting. 

Ooooph, takes me back to the days of Cannons re-paint.   I only ever used Cannons re-paint under the wheel arches, it gave a colour match and being quite a soft enamel, it provided good protection against stone chips.  When it got a bit shabby, one just wiped it down with petrol and gave it another coat.

i never painted any of the main body shell innit though.  I did once help someone undertake a quick prep and wipe down with petrol before squirting some knacker lacquer over it, looked OK from several feet away.   

If it doesn't work out, you can always 'bare metal........errrr bare plastic'  it again and run over it with something like single pack coach enamel.  I've seen a few cars painted in the single pack coach enamel.  A very reasonable finish can be achieved with good prep, a really good quality brush and good technique.

I can understand the not liking of the wheel barrow green, did it once belong to a gardener ?

Certainly not the right paint to use but it will be interesting to see how it holds up with use. 

The paint wasn't great anyway so it's not really much of a loss.  I certainly would not spend any money putting clear over it. 

I used Montana black graffiti paint on my samurai and that covered really well and dried to a decent finish. 

IMG-20190503-WA0010.jpeg

Dodge - aye, the 305 looks good, but I'd need to factor in the cost of spraying equipment, so it wouldn't be £15. I also don't have anywhere suitable for spraying other than outside.

I field-tested some paint overnight, and the finish seems ok. Have some matt sealer now which I'll use in the most delicate areas (seeing as they only had one can on the shelf). Also got some matt black for the black bits, as they're shite too.

Seems unlikely...

I cracked on with sealer, but Aberystwyth yielded just one can of the stuff, so I ran out (hence why the door looks a different shade).

D7lGAWuXoAEC3dY.jpg

Got the matt black out on the bumpers. Looking alright I reckon. Now need to decide what to do with the hardtop, because I'm thinking too much blue might be a very bad thing. Black maybe? Or do I try and track down a cab back so I can keep it a pick-up? That seems a little restrictive in terms of load space.

3 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Seems unlikely...

I cracked on with sealer, but Aberystwyth yielded just one can of the stuff, so I ran out (hence why the door looks a different shade).

D7lGAWuXoAEC3dY.jpg

Got the matt black out on the bumpers. Looking alright I reckon. Now need to decide what to do with the hardtop, because I'm thinking too much blue might be a very bad thing. Black maybe? Or do I try and track down a cab back so I can keep it a pick-up? That seems a little restrictive in terms of load space.

looking good so far :)

BTW I noticed in your recent videos, that you tend to use the selfie camera for recording your videos, just curious what thats about? (is it so you can easly see what the camera is seeing via the phones screen?)

I ask because normally the back camera on Phones is of much higher quality then the selfie camera, and I was thinking especially with your focus issues in the 2CV lock video, if you used the rear camera things may focus a bit better etc :)