Dollywobbler's Foxy little number

dollywobbler

Assistance has arrived. Picking up a diaphragm clutch plate this weekend, so hopefully next week, I can have another go at engine/gearbox interface. Plan is to pull the gearbox out, mate the two, then stuff them in with hoist assistance. Plan to get the rear wheels up on the ramps to assist with dangle angles - new hoist has a leveller bar.

D2Ao-K9XgAABfKE.jpg

Ian.

There are many things in life that bring me joy. Fluffy kittens, the purr of a cat, a good meal, clean sheets on the bed, motorbikes.

And 4 wheel Reliants.

There is a Kitten in a yard I pass on the way to Blackburn and its winking at me - thank god I have no money. For now I will have to be sated by your Fox.

Crack on.

A friend (well, a random internet person whose brother I've known for years) came over to lend some inspiration and assistance. His choice of wheels was a good start.

D2mPUHIXgAAoxyp.jpg

We assembled my new hoist (which had CRAP instructions), got the engine into the bay with only minor damage to one finger (mine) and after several hours and many cups of tea, finally got the engine and gearbox to mate. It just would not slot into place. Until it happily did.

D2mPVO0X0AAqOv5.jpg

We plumbed in just enough to get it to briefly run. Success! Still a LOT to do. The wiring makes less and less sense every time I look at it. Still no gauges or ignition lights, and can't get the electrics to work at all without running an HT lead between the starter solenoid and the battery. Still, actual progress!

Good stuff.

I know it sounds scary, but i'd be tempted to do away with almost all the wiring around the engine bay and start near enough from scratch. (at least around the whole battery and charge side), beyond that, It's not like you're needing to worry about sensors and computers, just the basic of power to the correct lights, power to the starter and having the alternator feeding back to the battery.

A lot of the issues likely to be earth related, fiberglass body means hidden earths on the chassis or a lot going back to the negative battery post to earth.

Found an earth wire that should be connected to the timing cover. That's now in place and I have lights. No ignition light, but the dash lights at least work. 

Initially, the earth wire was connected very wrongly indeed...

Latest video contains smoke!

Hopefully nothing damaged...

• 2 weeks later...

More Fox news.

Yes, the carb heat shield was the wrong way up. It now isn't. Sounds sweet though!

Today, I thought I'd quickly fit the alternator. HA! One of those utter F8ckers of a job, where access is from above and below, but still crap. Then I spied that the adjuster bracket was the wrong way around. It's held in with a water pump nut. The nut didn't come undone but wound the stud out. There's not enough room behind the pulley for the stud to come all the way out. FFS! Stopped for lunch.

I've threadlocked the stud, so I'm hoping that'll hold and the nut won't when I have another go. What a sodding palaver.

The Loctite trick worked! So I've been plumbing the cooling system in. I've managed to lose the stubby pipe that comes off the block and is part of the heater pipework. This is very annoying as I can't complete the circuit without it, and I don't have any way of just blocking it off. I know I have the part - I've seen it with my own eyes, but not since probably October. AAAARGH. Literally minutes away from being able to fill the cooling system and actually have a drive of the sodding thing. Much angers.

I believe the phrase is GET IN!

D3z_3qWWkAEY377.jpg

Bloody marvellous. Cooling system is a bit rigged up and currently excludes the heater, while the fuel tank is a bottle of Sprite at the moment. But, it ran very merrily for a goodly while and is quite hilariously brisk in first gear. I really do need to refit the mirrors though! Reversing is terrifying.

D3z_3qWWkAEY377.jpg

Bloody marvellous. Cooling system is a bit rigged up and currently excludes the heater, while the fuel tank is a bottle of Sprite at the moment. But, it ran very merrily for a goodly while and is quite hilariously brisk in first gear. I really do need to refit the mirrors though! Reversing is terrifying.

Great stuff.

Semi off topic, but every time i see your fox's number plate, i think of this

alan-alanalaaan-alan-alan-alan-alaalalan

D3z_3qWWkAEY377.jpg

woo congrats :)

now remember this one will need an MOT before you go buzzing around the welsh countryside  :mrgreen:

I think you would find a Tite Reach wrench very useful in that situation with the alternator Ian.

Here's a link to Amazon but I believe they also have a UK outlet called Trustparts. As Hubnut Channel I would think you warrant a free one for review :-)

Also a video here:

Andy

After a few days of CANNOT BE ARSED, I managed to rediscover my mojo for this one. 

Yesterday, I fully plumbed in the cooling system, and all initially seemed well. However, it was behaving like the 'stat wasn't opening. Rad stayed cold, until I turned the engine off. Then it got toasty.

Whipped the stat out this morning, and it was all fine then. Tested the stat, checked out, refitted it trying extra hard to ensure no airlocks. Had 'help.'

D4h4EkvXkAABW0N.jpg

Seems to be ok. Gauge was high, about three-quarters, but the infra-red thermometer showed no scary readings. Rad was still oddly cool - 30-40 degrees, but nonetheless, it didn't seem like it wanted to overheat, so maybe that'll do.

I also plumbed in the fuel tank (temporarily, I need to add an inline filter) and all seems fine there. Sloshed ten litres in, which proved that the fuel gauge isn't accurate either. I also have no indicator warning light and I have an oil pressure gauge, but can't see where that plugs into the engine. I've found a likely looking wotsit in the engine bay.

But, it's been good fun to bomb up and down the driveway, enjoying the ridiculous turning circle. 

Jobs to do:

Bonnet hinge repair/bodge, then refit nose panel.

Fuel filter

Air filter (found the screws today)

Tidy up wiring (yeah, like that'll ever happen)

Ignition timing

Get all indicators working.

Attach exhaust properly (I think a strap needs to be hooked up)

Check front suspension (feels like something is a little loose).

Maybe actually pull the drums off for a look at the brakes.

Replace windscreen, with new seal

Re-attach door mirrors. Might need riv-nuts or something for that.

Blimey. That list seems reasonably short!

If things worked out in a way to make it viable I'd be more than happy to lend a hand trying to convince the electrons to go where they're told.

Not that I imagine sorting the electrics will be too much of a challenge once you have a wiring diagram to hand... it's probably not much more complex a loom than that on TWC.

Really is an interesting little car though, looking forward to seeing it out and about... won't be long now at this rate.

Loose suspension...highly likely to be the tie rod bushes,if you look at the front chassis crossmember,you will see two studs with large washers sticking through either side,there is a bush either side of the chassis that the strut from the lower wishbone goes through.the originals were a weird foam like composite that by now will have crumbled to nothing,new aren't available but a poly bush alrernative is.Every Fox I've had that hadn't been apart needed these changing.

Thermostat,I always got air locks with new stats until I drilled a 5mm hole in the flange of the stat,acting like a bleed valve (original stats used to have a hole and pin for this purpose). Gauges are only a rough guide,make sure the heater is plumbed in and on,it provides much needed extra capacity.better to check all hoses are uniformly warm.rad cap-7. Stat- 88 winter,82 summer.Do not run without a stat.

10 years ago now,but national mobile windscreens still had new ones (Fiat 127)

Fuel filter should go near the tank on the chassis,don't put one in the engine bay...

Door mirrors were fitted using plastic inserts and self tappers,can still get these at hellfrauds.

Jobs to do:

Bonnet hinge repair/bodge, then refit nose panel.

Fuel filter

Air filter (found the screws today)

Tidy up wiring (yeah, like that'll ever happen)

Ignition timing

Get all indicators working.

Attach exhaust properly (I think a strap needs to be hooked up)

Check front suspension (feels like something is a little loose).

Maybe actually pull the drums off for a look at the brakes.

Replace windscreen, with new seal

Re-attach door mirrors. Might need riv-nuts or something for that.

Blimey. That list seems reasonably short!

Don’t forget the blower motor needs fitting!

It is really starting to take shape now, should be done in a jiffy.