Dollywobbler's Foxy little number

dollywobbler

Was it the same before you adjusted the clutch?  Perhaps the actuation arm or thrust bearing is catching on something e.g the clutch plate assembly.  Unless you spot something obvious and fixable from the outside, the delightful Fox is going to give you further gearbox and/ or engine removal practice.  Apart from pivot pins dropping and catching on rotating bits or allowing misalignment of the actuation arm, I can't visualise anything else which would cause the problem at the moment.  I'd be surprised if you've managed to assemble engine to gearbox/clutch yet somehow knocked the clutch plate out of alignment.  Normally they won't go together properly if that happens i.e. bolts seem to be unduly difficult to tighten and one is forced to investigate.  A video spread over several days with tea and grapes to help retain your sanity would nevertheless be most welcome :-D .  

That's the annoying thing. I hadn't tried to turn the engine before pissing about with the clutch, as I didn't have enough oil in stock to refill the engine, so didn't want to turn it. I'm going to try freeing off the front engine mounts and loosening the bellhousing nuts/bolts (there's a mixture) and see if anything suggests itself before parting everything entirely. The gearbox was turning just fine before we fitted the engine, as was the engine.

Favorit estate has gone. Will TWC tow the crane back to your place?  Thought not.  Reliants can be so awkward when it comes to major engine work.  The Foxache may become a battle of willpower.  Good luck with the heaving.  Rather you than me. 

Yeah, that's f*cked.

D0vHfwgWwAAS_Z4.jpg

Guessing it got biffed when trying to fit the engine.

Had help from the ladies - Mrs DW and my best mate Andi. A strong pairing. George the cat supervised.

If I can salvage the clutch, I think I'm going to have to remove the gearbox and mate it to the engine outside the Fox. I think it should be possible to lift the Fox and fit the engine/box from underneath, though I will need to remove the front anti-roll bar. As has been pointed out, I no longer own a vehicle capable of transporting an engine crane, and don't want to buy one just for one job. 

Wasn't that the clutch kit you were warned not to fit because they can be a bit rubbish?  I'm sure you mentioned that in a vid.

For fitting, would it be easier to leave the engine in, jack up the rear, remove/disconnect the propshaft and install the gearbox that way, then reconnect/refit the prop?

Wasn't that the clutch kit you were warned not to fit because they can be a bit rubbish?  I'm sure you mentioned that in a vid.

For fitting, would it be easier to leave the engine in, jack up the rear, remove/disconnect the propshaft and install the gearbox that way, then reconnect/refit the prop?

I think the chance of disaster is so large that no, that isn't an option. Not sure I fancy trying to wiggle a gearbox on while it's on my chest.

Just bend the duff spring back into shape, it'll be grand. Just don't touch those finger nuts (not unless you put the back exactly in the right place as it'll affect how square the cover plate is)

Doesn't it look like those nuts may need to come loose a bit to have half a chance of getting those springs back into place? One looks like its making a bid for freedom already.

(Also every chance if they do make a bid for freedom, they'll never get back into place again!)

A lot will depend on that spring springing back to shape when forced back to where it should be.  If it has been permanently distorted then a new spring may be required.  Your usual detailed photos/videos of each phase of attempted clutch repair will help to get it sitting properly if bits have to be undone.   

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh. Finally managed to get some time in the garage, but that just confirmed that this clutch is f*cked.

D1i9F76WkAEJQoY.jpg

I feebly tried straightening that spring out, but one of the coils has been pulled tight, so it ain't coming back. Clutch written off. Now contemplating whether to upgrade to the later diaphragm type. 

Cheered myself up by ordering myself an engine hoist. Cheaper than I expected!. £223.97 from SGS Engineering for a 1 ton crane and a load leveller (which WILL be needed). I could have got a two-ton one, but I think I'd rather try to encourage myself away from attempting engine swaps on anything bigger! A 1 ton is still overkill in this application really.

I have a confession DW.....I have just this past weekend gone caught up on approximately 6 months worth of videos and reviews (some of which I still need to watch) and it has been fantastic! 

I was watching one of the early videos on the Fox and something caught my eye.....no not your cluttered garage LOL BUT does that say SGT on your number plate? In which case these are the original dealer plates. 

NOW.....SGT.....Stands for Station Garage Taplow. I grew up less than a quarter of a mile from here and over the years have known and my family known quite a number of people of whom have worked here. I even did my work experience at this garage back when I was at secondary school for a week. I was then asked back as I was seen to be such a good valeter to valet the brand new cars to go out to the customers....

Anyway, I digress. Station Garage Taplow (a franchise owned by the Langton Family) originally run by Alan Langton .Many many many years ago this garage sold Silk and Triumph motorbikes before becoming a Reliant dealership (I have tried and tried to locate photographs but alas have been unsuccessful). They have always been 'performance' orientated and tended to aim for folk interested in buying Scimitars - in fact you can see one in the background of the second black and white photo (not sure if I've spelt that correctly). As time went on and Reliant died out, they took on Morgan, Lotus, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Alfa Romeo. I even rented space at the back of one of their storage lots for my own cars back when I first got into trading...

As is the story all too often this happened ( they have since relocated to the opposite side of the railway tracks in new buildings purposely built for them but no longer a dealership. Simply an independent workshop that has reused the SGT name. Very sad, I believe Alan Langton lived upstairs above the dealership!

Tony Tappin was the chief tech in charge of the workshops and he was a relic from the Reliant days.

Scroll to page 4 in this link - http://www.taplowsociety.org.uk/twiki/pub/Newsletter/NewsLetter101/Newsletter-101-screen.pdf

A few pictures for you now.....

post-24460-0-55275700-1552502815_thumb.jpg

post-24460-0-80906900-1552502828_thumb.jpg

post-24460-0-99621100-1552502843_thumb.jpg

post-24460-0-59091700-1552502853_thumb.jpg

post-24460-0-81405400-1552502863_thumb.jpg

post-24460-0-84892400-1552502873_thumb.jpg

post-24460-0-64527000-1552502911_thumb.jpg

but that just confirmed that this clutch is f*cked.

I feebly tried straightening that spring out, but one of the coils has been pulled tight, so it ain't coming back. Clutch written off.

It's just the spring that is fucked, not the whole lot.

Get on the blower and speak to

http://www.fleetwayclutches.co.uk/

Tell them what you have done and see if they will furnish you with a replacement spring / replace it for you.

A whole new clutch is a rather drastic step.

It's just the spring that is fucked, not the whole lot.

Get on the blower and speak to

http://www.fleetwayclutches.co.uk/

Tell them what you have done and see if they will furnish you with a replacement spring / replace it for you.

A whole new clutch is a rather drastic step.

Thanks, but my friendly Reliant Owners' Club chap has offered me a diaphragm cover assembly, which should work with the carbon throw out thingy and the brand new clutch plate I now have. 

I have a confession DW.....I have just this past weekend gone caught up on approximately 6 months worth of videos and reviews (some of which I still need to watch) and it has been fantastic! 

I was watching one of the early videos on the Fox and something caught my eye.....no not your cluttered garage LOL BUT does that say SGT on your number plate? In which case these are the original dealer plates. 

NOW.....SGT.....Stands for Station Garage Taplow. I grew up less than a quarter of a mile from here and over the years have known and my family known quite a number of people of whom have worked here. I even did my work experience at this garage back when I was at secondary school for a week. I was then asked back as I was seen to be such a good valeter to valet the brand new cars to go out to the customers....

Anyway, I digress. Station Garage Taplow (a franchise owned by the Langton Family) originally run by Alan Langton .Many many many years ago this garage sold Silk and Triumph motorbikes before becoming a Reliant dealership (I have tried and tried to locate photographs but alas have been unsuccessful). They have always been 'performance' orientated and tended to aim for folk interested in buying Scimitars - in fact you can see one in the background of the second black and white photo (not sure if I've spelt that correctly). As time went on and Reliant died out, they took on Morgan, Lotus, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Alfa Romeo. I even rented space at the back of one of their storage lots for my own cars back when I first got into trading...

As is the story all too often this happened ( they have since relocated to the opposite side of the railway tracks in new buildings purposely built for them but no longer a dealership. Simply an independent workshop that has reused the SGT name. Very sad, I believe Alan Langton lived upstairs above the dealership!

Tony Tappin was the chief tech in charge of the workshops and he was a relic from the Reliant days.

Scroll to page 4 in this link - http://www.taplowsociety.org.uk/twiki/pub/Newsletter/NewsLetter101/Newsletter-101-screen.pdf

A few pictures for you now.....

Great stuff!