Dollywobbler's Foxy little number

dollywobbler

Even with some of the struggles edited out, it brought back memories of my single handed removal and replacement of a Volvo 66 engine many moons ago.  Access was superb but I first had to construct, using old fence posts, a gantry which straddled the car.  Lifting was by chain and a scissor jack on top of the gantry cross beam, pegging the chain with a bar whilst the jack was worked up and down to achieve the necessary lift distance.  An engine hoist would have been so much easier, though the Fox engine looked extremely awkward to fit even with one.  Provided that one has much tea and a resident clear thinking assistant you have shown that the nearly impossible can be done at home.  Well done. Let's hope that the engine and gearbox are good enough to stay there now. 

Not got much done today due to various distractions. Did get the clutch connected up. Very light pedal. I'm hoping that's how they are and that the clutch is actually doing something... I have to return the hoist tomorrow, so if something is amiss, it'll be gearbox out this time.

Did try getting the exhaust connected up, but I seem to be missing the right bolts. Being imperial, I have nothing in my random assortment that will fit. I think I must return to foreign cars after this, with their sensible metric systems.

When i did a seicento clutch properly for the first time, i genuinely thought i'd done it wrong because the pedal was probably the lightest pedal i've ever felt, after months of straining and feeling like i was going to snap something every time i pressed the clutch, i damn near put the pedal through the bulkhead even giving it half effort!

Congrats on getting the engine in DW.

When i did a seicento clutch properly for the first time, i genuinely thought i'd done it wrong because the pedal was probably the lightest pedal i've ever felt, after months of straining and feeling like i was going to snap something every time i pressed the clutch, i damn near put the pedal through the bulkhead even giving it half effort!

Congrats on getting the engine in DW.

I have that reaction virtually every time I get back into either the Xantia or the van and go for the clutch after driving the Lada for any real distance...

I decided to do a little test to make sure the clutch is disengaging. It isn't...

ARSE!

Reliant clutches are generally quite fierce by modern standards, more akin to an ON/OFF switch for drive, and need to be adjusted properly for the best action.  Did you conduct the disengagement test at the bell housing lever or was it via the pedal?  Connecting the pedal will give the best feel for what is or is not going on.  Mine is ancient and rod operated.  It is very sensitive to wear in the various pivots, rigidity of brackets or bent rods. Presumably later Reliants have a cable operated clutch.  I can't recall my Rialto's clutch layout. I cannot imagine that Reliant went all sophisticated and hydraulic for the Fox.  No doubt further fiddling will enable you to come to a diagnosis which can be cured with the engine in-situ. 

"I shall have to buy a Morris now."

"That's not how it works!"

Soon as I heard that on the video I snorted out loud and got some funny looks from the other half.

Then I pondered the potential hilarity of us all sending dollywobbler Morris parts in the post as all it takes is 'Hubnut' and a stamp apparently. Then I realised we would all probably send him random Morris parts and not stay model specific.....

I adjusted up the clutch. No joy as yet, but I have got a pedal that is starting to feel more like a pedal, so that's progress.

I had started trying to wire up the engine for a trial run, albeit still with no cooling system, but after a brief cough of starter, I'm just getting the clack of the solenoid now. Might be a lack of juice in the battery, so it's on charge while I have some dinner.