Dollywobbler's Foxy little number

dollywobbler

Engine cranes are the way forward.

Slings and bars are the way to A&E.

I think my works safety campaign is finally sinking in. I become more and more risk averse as I get older.

The 20 year old me would be thinking of a way to use fire to move the engine, or maybe a skateboard.

Or move the car near the bench and just shove the engine off the edge and hope it lands in the engine bay.

Look after your back.

Ian for crying out loud use a bloody engine crane, lifting engines will bugger your back in permanently if you aren't careful, I used to think it cleaver lifting MT75 Transit gearboxes on my todd, and by hell did I pay for it later on. For the sake of about £30, that is better than the chiropractor fees you could well end up needing afterwards 

outa curiosity how much does the lump weigh? (and how does it compare to an invacar engine?)

my best guess is DW plans to rope in Mrs wobbler and use the cross bar thing, like they did with the spares invacar as mentions here, so I dont think he will be doing it all on his own chaps.

Lifting sling and bar should achieve that. Main advantage is we can drop straight, using the knees. It worked when we yanked the engine out of the spares Invacar last year.

(but yeah crippling your back is a bad idea ask me how I know! LOL)

Wheel fox out, ask your friend with the telehandler (who unloaded TWK & TPA) to pop over and lift it in  :-D

Another +1 for borrowing/hiring an engine crane or hoist. Hoiked a few engines in and out in the past, it's not fun using a pick-axe handle or scaffold pole with strops, even when there are 4 burly rugby players lifting an engine in or out.

Now, I've never used a hoist before. What do they actually attach to?

Normally the hooks on them go into lifting eyes that you bolt to the cylinder head, manifold, or even the rocker cover securing studs. They may have a pair they can lend you with it. Alternatively a good strong strop wrapped round the lump biased more toward the front slightly as you need to drop it in at an angle, may take a little trial and error to get the right position.

The hoist may also have a levelling beam from the end of the crane that you can adjust the angle it dangles using a ratchet & appropriate sized socket.

I would suggest removing the carb is a good idea to prevent damaging it or getting in the way of the strops or chains, and giving you a little more room from above to see where you need to swing the engine to etc.

FFS. I do not like cars where you can't remove the front bodywork in minutes!

D0BxCwoWkAE3O1P.jpg

Even with the crane, I still can't get the engine in. I came close, but it is nigh on impossible to get any wriggle room to get it onto the gearbox. Have had an exhausting couple of hours trying to make it happen, but have given up for the night. 

Now contemplating pulling the gearbox out instead, mating them and trying to insert from beneath with the Fox on ramps. My only concern is whether the engine will actually go through the chassis.

EDIT - that pic taken before I removed the carb. Sensible advice.

There are only mounts at the front, as the gearbox shares the load at the rear. Guess it's just a case of finding anything solid-looking to bolt to and not the dipstick tube.

Post up some pictures of the engine ( both sides, back and front) and we can see if there is anything you can attach to:)

Does the jib extend out further if you've not already got it to its maximum reach ergo raising the enging the most? As you've stated it's around 55kg so I doubt it's going to put too much strain on things.

I have extended it more, but am having real trouble with the bottom arms. The front wheels of the Fox just get in the way.

Has to go in from above from what I remember, when these were built the body was dropped onto the rolling chassis.it will be awkward with the box in place,for a start it will be nigh on impossible to line the input shaft with the clutch doing it this way round.

Yeah, it does sound like it isn't possible from below. It does look too tight.

Post up some pictures of the engine ( both sides, back and front) and we can see if there is anything you can attach to:)

Managed to solve that. I think.