Dollywobbler's Foxy little number

dollywobbler

Head is fused to the block

:shock:

Fuk!  How hot did that get?  I've never heard of a head actually fused to a block before!

Also:

Assume a Rover V8 could fit into a Fox if it can fit into a Kitten.

That V8 doesn't really actually fit though, does it.

The frightening thought is that the engine is a boggo 3.5 on carbs, so probably 150 to 160hp or so. If the basic engine is in, it could be swapped out for a breathed-on 4.6 or similar with 300hp.

Or we go electric...

Home built electrics usually use lead acid batteries and have poor performance from their recycled components, typically struggling to cover 40 miles on a charge.  You live in a hilly neck of the woods, making even 40 miles range look a tad optimistic.  More batteries will only partially address the problem while adding weight and probably needing beefed up suspension and brakes to cope. The amount of work to convert to electric power should not be underestimated either. Any ICE which will fit is much a much more practical proposition. Other opinions are of course available  :-D .

Head is fused to the block of the original engine,

Don't believe that patter for a minute. Seller is talking balls.

Heads can be an absolute cunt to remove (I've had more than my fair share) but if approached correctly, can be shifted.

More likely is that the bastard thing is corroded itself to the studs.

Again, put me down for the boat anchor if you don't want it. ;)

Just found this little anecdote on the redpowermagazine.com which you might find "helpfull" regarding your stuck cylinder head!

MTO 123 MTO

Posted July 19, 2012

On 7/19/2012 at 12:35 AM, hagan said:

When i was a kid my dad had a irrigation well drilled and the welder man out working on the rig had a wisconsin engine that he flooded and dad said to take the plugs out and light a match at the plug holes. He said no, he would put some accetelene in the carb! He did and dad had grandpa, hired man and i stand back and he cranked it over about 2 turns and it blew the head, carbuetor and intake off and it went over the fence and landed in the water at the lake about 100 ft away. he waded out and got the parts and threw it in the back of the truck and went to town.

Just saying, if your desperate like :)

I am. They don't have a great rep. Electric Classic Cars are nearer, and know their stuff, but their conversions are top drawer, so not cheap. I'm certainly not interested in a half-arsed EV. It needs at least 100-mile range, rapid charging and an actual heater. Which means it's going to be very expensive sadly.

Aren't a lot of EV machines running 48V?

You can get fairly decent 48V stuff for golf carts in terms of heaters and such. (1.2kW would certainly take the Welsh chill away, especially if it's run up for a while before you unplug it to leave.

I am. They don't have a great rep. Electric Classic Cars are nearer, and know their stuff, but their conversions are top drawer, so not cheap. I'm certainly not interested in a half-arsed EV. It needs at least 100-mile range, rapid charging and an actual heater. Which means it's going to be very expensive sadly.

Shame. I saw a Vindicator they did some years back that looked ok at the time.

An electric powered Reliant Fox drove across the roundabout in front of me the other day I kid you not! It had something splashed down the side indicating that it was electric but I can’t find any details online about it yet.

OH HAI!

DgtF_cQXcAIjQhZ.jpg

Collection mission was fairly straight-forward, if rather hard work. The video will make it look a breeze, as it will contain very little detail, but the heat made it a real challenge. Even just manoeuvring the trailer had us dripping buckets of sweat. At the farm, we decided it'd be easier to remove the trailer from the tow car (a filthy Nissan X-Trail 2.2 diesel with HubNut sticker), so more manoeuvring! However, pushing the little Fox onto the trailer, sans engine was easy peasy. Chap had even taken the dizzy out of the dead engine ready for me. I'll go back for the remnants at some point.

I must admit, I'd been lazy and only lashed opposing corners of the Fox to the trailer. That became a problem when my pal accidentally clipped a large rock hidden in some grass on a tight turn. Thankfully, the Fox didn't quite come off the trailer! It did shake quite a lot of dirt out of it though...

Then it was just a case of getting back to mine, moving an Invacar with no exhaust and moving a Dacia that really doesn't like starting so the Fox could nestle in to its new home.

DgttivhXkAIny5V.jpg

I doubt I'll have much of a chance to do anything at all on this car for quite a while - there are many larger priorities. However, I'm already loving the driving position and (Volvo I think) aftermarket front seats. Now, I need to find an engine, or see if the old one can be revived. As it has been heat-seized, I'm not hopeful...

What an interesting little thing.

Bloody glad I timed the Invacar collection when I did - trying to do that this week would have killed me I reckon!

Congratulations on getting it home.

I'd make a point of dissecting the existing engine before putting major efforts into finding another. Always a lottery with engines that have been overheated like this - it should be pretty obvious if it's beyond hope though once you get into it pretty early on.

Guest Hooli

Can you make up a lifting 'thingy' as I've seen done with Jag V12s. It was roughly a plate that bolted to the cam/rocker (can't remember) mounts/cover mounts & had holes for the head studs so you could wind the head off using nuts on the head studs.

Summink like that anyway it was ages ago & I didn't look too close.

A sharp cold chisel and a lump hammer are perfectly acceptable head removal tools!

If its any comfort I've never had a Reliant engine I couldnt get the head off!

Thats including a number of ancient 600's and 700's that had been abused and sat festering in a lockup garage for 25 years untouched.

I actually think many people who have trouble getting the head off are doing it while working in a tight 3 wheeler engine bay, Which makes the whole thing much more difficult.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost zero progress with this one, due to many other ridiculous happenings. However, I need to get plotting before it just grows into my driveway. So I gave it a wash.

DiamqBEWAAAgGuG.jpg

That's better! Well, apart from the fact that the seal between the rear body and cab roof clearly leaks. Oops...