Tell me about the suitcase/Douvrin engine...

Fabergé Greggs

What’s the deal with the suitcase engine?

Can it do big mileages? Is the chain ok forever?

I’m looking at a car with 190,000km. It’s on the continent and so I can’t check it out before committing to buy..

Does the shared engine/gearbox oil make it more or less susceptible to being knackered?

I've had quite a few 205s Sambas and Visas with the 954,1124 and 1360 versions of the suitcase Douvrin engine.If well looked after they will go on for big milages. The timing chains can rattle a bit and you'll hear a bit of chatter from the transfer gears, but in general they are long lived.

Head gasket failure is a bit of a sod to sort out, due to the engine layout. Didn't know about the liner issue, but certainly reinforces that checking that the oil and water aren't mixing is essential. That said, PSA petrol engines can develop creamy deposits if not thoroughly warmed up anyway, so a bit of mayo isn't necessarily a sign that all is not well. 

Also,the clutch is an engine out job.

IIRC that's only true on some models. I think the first motion shaft, along with the gear train that takes drive down to the gearbox can be retracted with the Engine/Box in situ on some models.

Stand to be corrected on that though, as I'm going on 10+year old second-hand information!

One thing I do remember about suitcase engines though is to check the plug extraction tool is still present on the bulkhead, and that the plugs can be removed. Siezed in plugs *can* be an engine out job as they are hugely recessed into tubes in the head, and said tubes are completely inacessable.

Great engines when on form though. Willing and revvy, not too heavy on fuel.

IIRC that's only true on some models. I think the first motion shaft, along with the gear train that takes drive down to the gearbox can be retracted with the Engine/Box in situ on some models.

Stand to be corrected on that though, as I'm going on 10+year old second-hand information!

One thing I do remember about suitcase engines though is to check the plug extraction tool is still present on the bulkhead, and that the plugs can be removed. Siezed in plugs *can* be an engine out job as they are hugely recessed into tubes in the head, and said tubes are completely inacessable.

Great engines when on form though. Willing and revvy, not too heavy on fuel.

Yes,I suppose there would be room to get the transfer casing off in a BX.Definitely not in a Visa/104/LN/Samba.The 205 is wider so a possibility?