Shiters To Be Banned From Glasgow...Smiles Better

UmBongo

Was reading an old Auto Excuse in the quacks this morning, and they are saying roughly 1/3 of all used cars 'sold' have a ton of outstanding finance, basically people who can no longer afford the PCP illegally sell something that belongs to the finance company, this country, ffs!

It used to be that a finance company wouldn't chase a private buyer of a vehicle with a small amount outstanding.

I wonder how many PCP cars will mysteriously self combust, get stolen or just vanish before the return date when they have gone massively over the milages?

Ideal time to get into mileage correction* via Facebook?

Been to Glasgow a few times and it's a nice city but not one you really want to drive through particularly as I can just remember being almost constantly stuck in traffic.

However there was a lot of housing near the centre, mainly tower blocks which could house many people therefore many cars. And while there are some very affluent areas of the city, there's some very poor parts as well where people maybe struggling to make a living and need an older car to get to work etc, is a big bloody place as well.

From my observations the people there in general are really nice and chatty however there were loads of drunks, drug addicts, and what appeared to be very ill people there. I remember a program saying that there were parts of the city that had some of the lowest life expectancies in Europe?

Surely those matters are more important than stopping older apparently more polluting cars into the city centre?

Been to Glasgow a few times and it's a nice city but not one you really want to drive through particularly as I can just remember being almost constantly stuck in traffic.

However there was a lot of housing near the centre, mainly tower blocks which could house many people therefore many cars. And while there are some very affluent areas of the city, there's some very poor parts as well where people maybe struggling to make a living and need an older car to get to work etc, is a big bloody place as well.

From my observations the people there in general are really nice and chatty however there were loads of drunks, drug addicts, and what appeared to be very ill people there. I remember a program saying that there were parts of the city that had some of the lowest life expectancies in Europe?

Surely those matters are more important than stopping older apparently more polluting cars into the city centre?

Not connected at all.

In no way could air pollution be related to anybody's health.

Fine by me, the Locost was registered in 2005...

is it.

from the mot manual

Kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1998 must have either Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) or Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA).

You must test kit cars or amateur built vehicles to the limits in the vehicle's registration document (V5c). If the V5c doesn't show any limits, you must test it to the limits based on the date the vehicle was first used.

so cat test for the emissions

Whoooh!

I have an excuse never to go to Glasgow again!

This is just a small part of the insanity of the anti-car mob.

If they get to go ahead with this shit there are so many junctions in Scotland will be closed off.

Broxburn main street being one of them (I will have to go 7 miles to get to the butchers instead of the current 4 miles) so less* pollution obviously.

Wierdly TFL were on Facebook a little while ago trumpeting their saving the kids message for introducing the ULEZ, when I noticed it there were 400 comments the majority of which were negative, by the time had typed a comment there were another 70, oddly it doesn't appear a popular idea. The post is now gone so I guess they don't want public input upsetting their money making schemes....

Whoooh!

I have an excuse never to go to Glasgow again!

This is just a small part of the insanity of the anti-car mob.

Glasgow is a fine, fine city. The people are at least as good as anywhere else in these little islands we live on.

What's anti-car about reducing the pollution spewed into the air we all breathe? I just don't get it, even ignoring the fact that EVs have glorious steam engine style torque and 2cv-beating levels of mass centres.

I'm in favour of electric motors despite their lack of 'soul'. I've grown up and grown to love a warbling Audi five, wuffling Rover V8s, whining German inline sixes and vibration-low boxers whether rasping Alfa flat fours, whirring Cit twins or blatty fours.

Interesting-sounding engines are mostly long-gone (some oversized Audi went by this afternoon with a ridiculously emphasised exhaust note, totally fake even though it had some massive V8/10/12/16 slc), bring on the electric motor and let a car be defined by something other than its powerplant, I say. Like, possibly, suspension.

is it.

from the mot manual

Kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1998 must have either Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) or Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA).

You must test kit cars or amateur built vehicles to the limits in the vehicle's registration document (V5c). If the V5c doesn't show any limits, you must test it to the limits based on the date the vehicle was first used.

so cat test for the emissions

Registered in 2005 but on a Q plate so tested as per pre 70 something. No need for fog light and various shiz like that, if you can see it from the other side of the garage when it's running it's passed the emmisions test ;)

It's kinda moot anyway, I'd not be likely to ever take it into Glasgow

I think all this crap is a bit of an agenda .. imho yes im going to sound like a loon but there you go, And re. the point about people in the 60's biking everywhere well i think an awful lot of people lived close to their workplaces and i dare say public transport was a thousand times better!

Public transport in Glasgow was pants in the 1960s; the only electrified suburban lines were the blue train from Helensburgh to Airdrie via Queen St and the Cathcart circle, the others were mostly Beechinged. The clockwork (not yet)orange didn't run late and neither did most of the buses, and they binned the trams.

Public transport in Glasgow was pants in the 1960s; the only electrified suburban lines were the blue train from Helensburgh to Airdrie via Queen St and the Cathcart circle, the others were mostly Beechinged. The clockwork (not yet)orange didn't run late and neither did most of the buses, and they binned the trams.

Whenever i think of commutes of old an image of men in flat caps all leaving cowley pops into my head, Its similar to this photo theres a better (slightly later) one somewhere online cant find it ATM though

post-20453-0-57888700-1529111007_thumb.jpg

We had a tram system in grimsby at one point but in my grandads day most people could easily walk to work from somewhere in town.. we had paper mills,a pigment factory, an ice factory,sprawling fuck off fishdocks,huge food factorys in the centre of town commutes were likely quite insignificant back then,

Now.. all the work is on immingham docks (horrible horrible shit hole) scunny steelworks or some chemical plant on the humber bank.. People dont want to live in the town center so now we have everyone living in these outlying villages and doing a massive commutes everyday.

If the same legislation was enacted here all the guys driving to work in tatty W reg focus saloons would be bolloxed. Yet the PCP crowd would continue to rent emission test cheating Aldi A4's

Reduction in exhaust emmisions fuck all! And terry from birdseye is now on the dole.

I'd love to reduce air pollution but until we properly invest in cycling infrastructure in this country or start giving out EV's for free then all this ULEZ is a farce.

I've only been to glasgow once.. Did a weeks work on cambuslang steel works (well heat treatment).. 

I'd never been to Scotland before and the first person i spoke to was a giffer asking me if the reeking bog in ASDA was free! 

Yah a friendly bunch though was all sound lads on site and breakfast was nice in the digs.. Food was... well, Fried! 

I couldn't get over the literal WALL of full fat :( irn bru in most supermarkets though!

Its like a bigger grimsby i saw plenty of bagheads.. and like here many signs of very industrious past.

Don't forget the research that shows that the implementation of Euro 6 is very hit and miss, and the data shows that Euro 3/4 cars can be better for NOX than a brand new Nissan Qashqai. 

I think this is one of the key reasons behind cancelling 'scrappage'* schemes: basically they could make matters worse.  So many new cars are built to pass the standards on lab test and the emissions control systems hardly work in actual use.

I'm in favour of banning all cars from town centres.  Pedestrian areas can be really good.

I'm sure they all would. For years they redesigned working road systems to cause queues & stop you getting anywhere. Now they just close them off so empty buses can chug about & homicidal taxi drivers find more victims who think it's a pedestrianised area.

I was involved in some discussions about the creation of a bus lane along a section of road into/out of a small town centre with the local transport planners. This involved a site meeting where the actual route length was walked to look for any conflicts etc, when we had completed the survey I asked the planners what was the specific purpose of effectively closing a section of the road to traffic when not one bus had passed us while we were there? His answer was to piss off the motorists sitting in their cars stuck in one lane with busses passing them in an effectively empty lane that they can't use in the hope that they will switch to the bus. Wonderful, create more pollution in one of the top 10 most polluted towns in the UK on the vague hope that it will make some people change.

Don't forget the research that shows that the implementation of Euro 6 is very hit and miss, and the data shows that Euro 3/4 cars can be better for NOX than a brand new Nissan Qashqai. 

I think this is one of the key reasons behind cancelling 'scrappage'* schemes: basically they could make matters worse.  So many new cars are built to pass the standards on lab test and the emissions control systems hardly work in actual use.

I'm in favour of banning all cars from town centres.  Pedestrian areas can be really good.

Hasn't this already happened as the change from diesel to petrol has made the CO2 output rise, which has a target for reducing, so as ever tackling one problem has made another that nobody thought about?

Maybe the treasury also has a hand in this as petrol cars do use more fuel over a given distance than diesel so overall fuel sales will rise meaning more cash into the treasury without any tax changes?

Whenever i think of commutes of old an image of men in flat caps all leaving cowley pops into my head, Its similar to this photo theres a better (slightly later) one somewhere online cant find it ATM though

attachicon.gifarticle-2383876-0000B20400000CB2-399_634x666.jpg

We had a tram system in grimsby at one point but in my grandads day most people could easily walk to work from somewhere in town.. we had paper mills,a pigment factory, an ice factory,sprawling fuck off fishdocks,huge food factorys in the centre of town commutes were likely quite insignificant back then,

Now.. all the work is on immingham docks (horrible horrible shit hole) scunny steelworks or some chemical plant on the humber bank.. People dont want to live in the town center so now we have everyone living in these outlying villages and doing a massive commutes everyday.

If the same legislation was enacted here all the guys driving to work in tatty W reg focus saloons would be bolloxed. Yet the PCP crowd would continue to rent emission test cheating Aldi A4's

Reduction in exhaust emmisions fuck all! And terry from birdseye is now on the dole.

I'd love to reduce air pollution but until we properly invest in cycling infrastructure in this country or start giving out EV's for free then all this ULEZ is a farce.

Interesting that you mention the steelworks in Scunthorpe, I can remember works leaving time there when there was absolute congestion around the works entrance and the surrounding roads, not with cars but with cycles, literally hundreds if not thousands. It was the same at both the Normanby park works which employed nearly 10,000 as at the larger Appleby/Frodingham works which employed slightly more. They also bussed in workers from South Yorkshire and other more distant places which meant jobs were available outside of the local area with low or no cost transport. So many cycles were used that there was at least one employee on site whose full time job was cycle repairs for the workers.

Today there are less than 4000 employed in total on the one remaining site and the number of cycles used is very low, numbers low enough that you don't really notice them, the vast majority are private cars.

The products were also moved in the main by rail as were the raw materials, trains still bring in the raw materials but the output is now using road transport in the main.

A few weeks ago I was waiting at the traffic lights outside the steel works alongside a lorry loaded with steel bar. The steel has labels on it Product of Kuwait, amazing really.

With the M8 as it is, there is the biggest pollution problem for Glasgow. Are they going to include the M8 in the ban?

If they do then the kitten killing monsters will have to avoid the M8 and go around Glasgow, creating longer journeys and more pollution, but hey it won't be in the centre of Glasgow.

If the M8 is not included then I don't see it making any difference. The daily traffic jams will continue to pollute and kill kittens.

What about LPG vehicles? They are currently LLEZ exempt but not ultraLLEZ.

BTW I get a massive £10 a year rebate on my road tax for having LPG. That's only 120 years to recoup my investment......

Glasgow is a fine, fine city. The people are at least as good as anywhere else in these little islands we live on.

What's anti-car about reducing the pollution spewed into the air we all breathe?

Yes Glasgow is a fine, fine place*

- as long as I never ever have to go to that grimy godforsaken horrible city again.

(Could apply the same to Edinburgh and all cities BTW)

I've only been nearly killed there twice - once by a bus and once by a taxi.

The Anti-Car crowd sighted their Pollution monitoring equipment at Edinburgh Haymarket so it gets a good blast of DMU output every time one of the DMUs pulls out of the station

- but it is only the road vehicles that pollute according to them.

Guest Hooli

I was involved in some discussions about the creation of a bus lane along a section of road into/out of a small town centre with the local transport planners. This involved a site meeting where the actual route length was walked to look for any conflicts etc, when we had completed the survey I asked the planners what was the specific purpose of effectively closing a section of the road to traffic when not one bus had passed us while we were there? His answer was to piss off the motorists sitting in their cars stuck in one lane with busses passing them in an effectively empty lane that they can't use in the hope that they will switch to the bus. Wonderful, create more pollution in one of the top 10 most polluted towns in the UK on the vague hope that it will make some people change.

That is exactly the thinking I always see displayed in the schemes. Other stupidities such as removing bus stop laybys & putting an island alongside them to cause more traffic is another perfect example of the same fuckwitted 'thinking'.

Odd how they never connect it with the town centre dying as no-one can get there anymore.

They will move the goalposts again.

Right now it's "vehicles which are Euro N will be allowed".

People are working hard on roadside drive-by emissions testing, though - basically a gatso camera, but for exhaust emissions. So you buy your Euro 6 car now but later on it's banned because the Euro 6 test was a fiddle and the vehicle actually emits 3x as much as the official test stated.

Has air pollution got worse since the early 90 to late 90s? I have asthma and mine has got much better. Might not be related just asking the question.

Agreed. I am also skeptical about it. Sure there is poison in exhaust, and we should look to reduce and eliminate it over time, but people lack perspective. 100 years ago every building had a coal-burning fire in it in winter, if not several; the smoke was so thick that everything was turned black, and people died much younger. There is still stuff to improve but most people could make much bigger improvements to their physical and mental health by binning sugar, alcohol, Facebook, and the TV set...