Shiters To Be Banned From Glasgow...Smiles Better

UmBongo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-44481390

Older cars face Glasgow city centre ban

Older cars will be banned from Glasgow city centre in four years time after councillors agreed to extend a low emission zone (LEZ) to all vehicles.

An LEZ will apply to 20% buses from the end of 2018, rising to 100% by December 2022. Cars will need to meet the strict standards from the end of 2022.

After that date petrol cars made before 2005 and diesels built before September 2014 will not be allowed in the zone.

The council said it was "forging a path towards cleaner air".

But environmental campaign group Friends of the Earth Scotland said the timetable lacked ambition, condemning people to illegal levels of air pollution for years to come.

The policy to extend the zone to all vehicles will now be subject to an "economic appraisal" and a consultation exercise over the next 12-18 months.

Anna Richardson, city convener for sustainability and carbon reduction, said: "Improving the quality of the air we breathe is a key priority for the city and so I'm proud to stand behind this progressive policy that will see Glasgow introduce Scotland's first low emission zone by the end of the year.

"Partnership working has resulted in substantial improvements to air quality however it remains a public health concern.

"The LEZ will make significant reductions to air pollution in the city centre and when fully implemented, will cover all vehicles by December 2022. This will ensure we achieve the improvements in air quality our city deserves."

I work in Glasgow and would never drive in the city, it's crazy so I can continue to drive old chod elsewhere and unaffected.

Whilst I don't disagree with improving things for future generations, I am a bit skeptical about what is driving these proposals. Seems like its a 'quick win' when Glasgow has far more pressing issues that are probably much more difficult to deal with. Homelessness, drink, drugs, poverty, violence, housing, the list goes on.

As a Glaswegian..............I couldn't give a monkeys. I only go into Bills Tool store and I can take wife's roller skate Jazz. They are quite right as my old C5 is a filthy thing, but those fuckin' buses man.....

Leeds is planning a very tight LEZ zone shortly with anything not Euro5 being stung to enter the city, this really screws up an old employer of mine, as his yard is slap bang in the middle of the zone, and so is one of First's 2 depots in the city, First have heavily invested in the fleet with a fair few euro6 motors, but Tetley has sod all vehicles that are euro5 barring the leased BMCs which were all converted a year or so ago, Das Reichbussen use mainly Euro5 buses in to the city, but it will spell the end of smaller operators, cab drivers are up in arms over it too

'shop closing?'

'people loosing their jobs?`

`high street closing and Amazon taking over?'

Then fuck you let's ban old cars from various city's and make the place even worse! We can say it's for the environment but if you pay us some money, as that cures everything, you can still drive about.

Bit poor, can't afford a new car? Like old cars? Fuck you!

Tbh I can see why people think this is a good idea but really it isn't. It's essentially a restriction on a few when really air pollution needs tackling at a global level.

'shop closing?'

Then fuck you let's ban old cars from various city's and make the place even worse! We can say it's for the environment but if you pay us some money, as that cures everything, you can still drive about.

Tbh I can see why people think this is a good idea but really it isn't. It's essentially a restriction on a few when really air pollution needs tackling at a global level.

Local air pollution is a big problem in cities.

I wonder one hidden incentive is reducing congestion for the wealthy few.

Make park and ride car parks and the transport to the city and back free, it might work.

How many average 'working people' commute into major cities?

Every trade you can think of except possibly labourer into London or other cities everyday. Don't even think about taking a bag of sharp pointy things on public transport. Nobody actually lives in city centres and does a manual job, as a rule there's no storage space or secure parking.

By 2022 what do they expect the average age of the car fleet to be in Glasgow, I bet most would be compliant and producing massively more particulates....

How many average 'working people' commute into major cities?

In Tyne and Wear, enough that a competitive multi modal public transport system cant handle peak demand. Cars are the only choice for a lot of people as theres not enough seats for bums at peak times and timetables are reaching saturation.

'shop closing?'

This, could not have put it better myself. Its just yet another tax.

My office is on Cowcaddens Road, a busy arterial route in and out of the city. There are a large number of older cars on this road, quite a lot are shiteworthy too so that rules them out.

There are also a lot and I mean a lot, pre Sept 2014 diesel taxis. What are the owners/ companies supposed to do there??