One Shite in Bangkok - '89 Corolla.

Guest Conan

That is a bloody impressive turn around!

Looks a tidy repair, what components were repaired and replaced?

The bumper and front wings were repaired. The bonnet and lights are brand new Taiwan pattern part. The lower front trim is from dismantler.

The driver side wing is especially impressive. You couldn't tell it was damaged!

EFA  :mrgreen:

as others have said, very impressive repair/turn around time

and im glad to see its back :)

Bloody hell, that was fast!

I reckon a load of UK body shops wouldn't even entertain working on that, too much risk of having to do work outside of fillering/fitting new panels...

I think the majority of the work was in the radiator support but it ended up okay. Crash bar isn't very much damaged at all.

Plenty of people willing to work here because there's so many skilled workers trying to make a living doing job for very little amount. Typical third world situation. It does help running chod for peanuts though.

The Thai Corolla rides again!

The headlamps and indicators on this model remind me of the last of the line Hyundai X2 (after the Pony name was dropped)

It does! Although there's not much shape you can go with late 80's early 90's design so I'm not surprised.

EFA  :mrgreen:

as others have said, very impressive repair/turn around time

and im glad to see its back :)

Sure. 60£ a ticket and the winner pay for the shipping and imports themselves.  :P

How the hell I've missed this, I do not know.

Great thread, great car, and a belated welcome Conan!

I live in Thailand during the winter (mostly in Chiang Mai), normally this is when I have time to catch up with Autoshite, but I've been so busy for the two months since I arrived this time. I have just a month left before I head back to Yorkshire.

I'm currently in Vientiane, Laos on a visa run, driving my new* shite car back over the bridge to Northeastern Thailand tomorrow. I then have some things to take care of in Isaan before the two day drive back to Chiang Mai. 

I've had a clearout of my inbox Conan, pm me if you're heading upcountry any time soon!

How the hell I've missed this, I do not know.

Great thread, great car, and a belated welcome Conan!

I live in Thailand during the winter (mostly in Chiang Mai), normally this is when I have time to catch up with Autoshite, but I've been so busy for the two months since I arrived this time. I have just a month left before I head back to Yorkshire.

I'm currently in Vientiane, Laos on a visa run, driving my new* shite car back over the bridge to Northeastern Thailand tomorrow. I then have some things to take care of in Isaan before the two day drive back to Chiang Mai. 

I've had a clearout of my inbox Conan, pm me if you're heading upcountry any time soon!

Thanks!

I'm supposed to go up there on 11th but something came up so I'm not quite sure yet I'll be able to do it. It'll be sometime between 11th and 18th. I'll try to make it happen though. It'd be nice to have more smol shite meet over this part of the world.  :D

Yaas!

My brother-in-law lands in Chiang Mai on 16th Jan, so I'd like to be back there by 15th, it'd be great to meet you. 

I presume you'd drive the Corolla up?

It's no biggie to drive in a day if your car's reliable. I've done it quite a few times (and the car was usually reliable :-D  )

From memory it's near enough 700km.

One thing always bugged me on this car. It's a thing Toyota always did back in the day and it's annoying as hell. I'll let Mr. Brown explain.

https://youtu.be/b2XdXoCl0rU?t=33

The same situation is with the Corolla. What is weird is that NONE of the E90 generation Corolla sold here have it, not even top of the range model. Which is weird because as far as I know it's standard on the whole range elsewhere in the world. Luckily, being such a common car, it's not difficult to remedy.

post-26170-0-76195500-1546921632_thumb.jpg

15 quid. I will fit it when I can source a new three spokes steering wheel for it.

It may seems like a very tiny thing. But details maketh car alright?

side thing:

looking at your photos I noticed the steering wheel was on the right (hand) side of the car

for some reason I thought Thailand had LHD cars but doing some googling shows this is aint the case

defiantly a case of TIL :)

(guess this makes the prospect of importing UK Chod much easer?  :mrgreen: )

side thing:

looking at your photos I noticed the steering wheel was on the right (hand) side of the car

for some reason I thought Thailand had LHD cars but doing some googling shows this is aint the case

defiantly a case of TIL :)

(guess this makes the prospect of importing UK Chod much easer?  :mrgreen: )

We are Right Hand Drive indeed!

The imports of used car has been officially banned since 1975. Because people used to imported used Mercedes Benz from Hong Kong and sold them as new. Those were so popular that official distributor of Mercedes Benz had to lobby the government to an end of that.

Feel free to export our chods over though. Plenty of classic JDM that hadn't been scene taxed yet. They're mostly rust free! 

We are Right Hand Drive indeed!

The imports of used car has been officially banned since 1975. Because people used to imported used Mercedes Benz from Hong Kong and sold them as new. Those were so popular that official distributor of Mercedes Benz had to lobby the government to an end of that.

Feel free to export our chods over though. Plenty of classic JDM that hadn't been scene taxed yet. They're mostly rust free! 

wow that no imports thing is asinine...

so does that mean someone put their balls on the line to illegally smuggle an invacar into Thailand?  :mrgreen:

wow that no imports thing is asinine...

so does that mean someone put their balls on the line to illegally smuggled an invacar into Thailand?  :mrgreen:

It's much easier when it doesn't have to be on the road.  ;)

There used to be a few loophole. And if imported for off the road use then no one is going to stop you.

It's much easier when it doesn't have to be on the road.  ;)

ahh I figured as much  :mrgreen:

the no imports rule sounds similar to the 25 year rule they have in the US which was also brought about due to auto makers lobbing against grey market imports too IIRC.

really glad no such crap exists in the UK (AFAIK!)

excuse me while I go look up Thailand's auto industry and see what home grown chod i can fantasise about importing to the UK someday :)

ahh I figured as much  :mrgreen:

the no imports rule sounds similar to the 25 year rule they have in the US which was also brought about due to auto makers lobbing against grey market imports too IIRC.

really glad no such crap exists in the UK (AFAIK!)

excuse me while I go look up Thailand's auto industry and see what home grown chod i can fantasise about importing to the UK someday :)

Your option will be limited to this and that. Toyota Soluna and Honda City.

post-26170-0-48798500-1546924535_thumb.jpg

post-26170-0-26859500-1546924540_thumb.jpg

The Soluna is a rebodied Toyota Tercel. So you can think of it like a 4-door version of the Paseo. (Like 4 Series Gran Coupe yo).

Honda City is based on the EF Civic. Despite that, none of the parts would fit apart from the engine. We had one until a few years ago.

They're worth about 1500-2500 quid right now depending on condition. Import both and become the king of obscure shite!  :P

(They're available in few other markets too).

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I went to Toyota Day. Which was more like the gathering of various Corolla shite. Quite fun.

post-26170-0-51455400-1549289731_thumb.jpg

It was held at "Klong 5 Raceway" Which is exactly like Santa Pod except it's in hell. The temperature peaked at about 35°C. And for about 7 quid you get 2 runs on the Quarter-mile track. With an offer like that I couldn't resist, could I?  :D

post-26170-0-73284300-1549289639_thumb.jpg

First run I shifted early and launched smoothly. Second run I spin all the way to 2nd gear. In the end I ran somewhere around 16.9-17.1 secs. Which is pretty shite all things considered. But I do get a nice picture!

If anyone is wondering. I still have the Watanabes. It's been swapped with my mate's set of Enkei for his car show. I'm getting them back this Saturday.