One Shite in Bangkok - '89 Corolla.

Guest Conan

Guest Conan

Welcome!

Thank you! Also for validating my introductory thread!

Only a true shiter would swap a Merc for a Corolla and be really happy about it. Welcome!

I guess gaining 30 horsepower, losing 300kg and have another 2 gears to play is a happy thing!

Interesting story and nice cars! Welcome!

Thank you!

Welcome.  Good to hear your story.  I lived in Thailand in 1970-1971, when I was just a small boy.  Are there many other older cars around?  We'd be pleased to see some pictures if there are.  Thanks.

Thanks! I'm quite interested in all aspect of motoring in Thailand, of course. Including from present up to 1950's.

As for older cars, we do tends to keep them around for a bit as the yearly inspection is so lax and this is a third world still. I know a few friends with some real chod as well (1969 Peugeot 404 that's still a daily, anyone?)

I'll gladly share some of the experience I've had and some pictures. In this thread would be alright?

The car's only done 200,000km exactly. Which is quite low for an old Corolla I guess. Also about 30,000km less than the W124 was despite being a tad older.

I also happen to own a future-shite 2011 Corolla. But with only two I'm not Corolla hoarder just yet, correct?  :lol:

Welcome, you have certainly joined the right web community. The idea of replacing the original engine with this one without upgrading the brakes has to be truly admired!

Look forward to posts of some of the 'shite' that's currently running around Thiland, I haven't been there since the late 90's.

Guest Conan

Welcome, you have certainly joined the right web community. The idea of replacing the original engine with this one without upgrading the brakes has to be truly admired!

Look forward to posts of some of the 'shite' that's currently running around Thiland, I haven't been there since the late 90's.

The stopping power itself is enough as the car has uprated brake servo. It's the idea of the brake being a solid disc in a wee little diameter clamped by a single piston is the issue. It's probably going to fade quite quickly in a few hard stops.

I think it's good to share some of the chod I know, right?

post-26170-0-67014900-1528292225_thumb.jpg

This is my friend's Corolla. It's a 1985 Corolla DX with 1.3 2A motor. This is the car I learnt manual transmission with. It doesn't have power-steering so driving it in town is an exercise in pain and suffering. This thing was rear ended hard a year ago yet the owner was determine to get it back and now it's better than even before the accident. (The guy also owns a 1993 Audi Ur-S4)

post-26170-0-99935200-1528292346_thumb.jpg

'79 XJ6. All original apart from the engine which has been swapped for Toyota 2JZ for reliability and parts availability. The swap is done to be reversible back to original if wanted. This is also almost a daily for it's young owner.

post-26170-0-94062800-1528292534_thumb.jpg

Here's the 1969 Peugeot 404 I mentioned. It was laid up for 8 years before getting recommissioned and use again recently. It's now the owner's daily.

post-26170-0-45986300-1528292808_thumb.jpg

A brace of big Peugeot. 504 and 505. The 504 is all original apart from 505 2.0 engine conversion. The 505 is a 2.0 done up like a V6. They're both in absolutely immaculate condition.

post-26170-0-10792200-1528292879_thumb.jpg

This picture is almost like actual 1995. (The plates on the S4 and Accord are period incorrect)

post-26170-0-24598700-1528292942_thumb.jpg

Here's a 1991 Honda Accord. Lowered and modified. It now has 200hp H22A engine. I like the car old but with potent power under the bonnet. Haha.

There's more but these are the ones I can get picture of right now.

Guest Conan

Yes please, lots of pictures would be welcomed. Nice cars you have there, welcome in.

Thanks!

I was mildly interested until you said engine swap, then I was very interested, I like that 'sleeper' thing, more info please.

'Welcome aboard', as they say on those cheesy coaches.

I'll post more picture with more details tomorrow. (It's already dark.)

The previous 2 owners were very meticulous and adamant with maintaining and modifying the thing as a sleeper. So it has some nice upgrades (including the Black Top 4A-GE from  '98 Sprinter, it's still on OBD1) but overall a very original look on the outside. I intended to keep it that way.

Thanks!

Pictures would be welcome and this is your thread so put 'em in here.  I might be able to find some taken in Thailand in 1970 myself and if ok with you, I will add them here.

I'll be glad if you join in the fun of third world shite spotting and sharing!

Hey, great to see some fantastic international shite on here!

Welcome along, and more pics would be very welcome - both of your Corolla and any other daily drivers you might see on the streets...

Thank you. I'll definitely do that!

That accord. Woof.

It's an Automatic but pretty potent none-the-less. Pretty much a Prelude SiR by this point haha.

Jag with a Toyo engine. That makes a lot of sense! Love the 404 too.

I can tell you that the owner still got it's original 4.2 lump around somewhere. But it's been a long enough suffering to keep it running. It's a one family car.

The 404 is an excellent drive too, even though there's rust everywhere. (It looks much nicer in picture).

@Tadhg Tiogar, thanks! And yes indeed. Unless you're on 2 wheels.

I saw KruJoe a week or so ago, he's busy with work & life at the moment but I'm sure he'll be back to talk about Thailand with you sooner or later :-)

He only tends to be in Chiang Mai from December to aound March though, so he won't be there when you visit.

Guest Conan

I saw KruJoe a week or so ago, he's busy with work & life at the moment but I'm sure he'll be back to talk about Thailand with you sooner or later :-)

He only tends to be in Chiang Mai from December to aound March though, so he won't be there when you visit.

That's very much understandable as the weather around Chiang Mai at the moment is half way lava and hell.  :P

Welcome, Conan. Superb Corolla.

I'd like to visit Thailand some day. :)

Thanks! Yay for more tourism. Haha. I'm sure you'll very much enjoy going shite spotting here.  :) 

Wow thats amazing! Top chod that doesn't rust away!

Welcome, I'm sure dollywobbler as our resident Japanese journalist will get interested when he wakes up/recovers from his trip!

Thanks!

I wonder if the metallic burgundy Fiat Argenta is still biffing around Rangnam? I used to see it a lot when I worked there about 5 years ago. Never managed to get a pic of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my car spotting circle we did spotted a very tidy Fiat Argenta still running around. We thought it might be the only one still left. But I can't remember if it was burgundy.

post-26170-0-25797500-1528363456_thumb.jpg

Here's one. Photo shamelessly stolen from the internet.

Your W124 looked stunning, shame you had to part with it. Without the side repeaters it looks very smooth.

You'd be surprised at the length people go through to get the fenders drilled for side repeaters. My W124 was a bit of a ten footer though. Definitely looks much better in picture haha.

Both of those cars look amazing. The Corrola looks especially handsome in a fine Autoshite racing colour. Well bought and welcome in fella.

Thanks! And yes, it's very gloriously gold.

Peugeot yum yum!

Welcome to the forum my friend.

"Mr Cats and Mr DW to the beige telephone please. Your next adventure awaits."

Thanks! Hey now the car is gold, not beige!  :P (The V5 equivalent listed it as BROWN.)

Absolutely astounding work :D

I'm 100% on board with that Corolla, everything about it.

Why is it that Watanabe RS8s look so good whilst Minilites look so bloody awful?

Thank you! And I'm not really sure why Watanabe looks better than Minilite. Maybe it's the Japanese refinement of the design?

Anyhow, thought I might show you guys some more detailed pictures as promised.

post-26170-0-78177000-1528362607_thumb.jpg

post-26170-0-65742600-1528362617_thumb.jpg

The engine is a 4A-GE 20 Valves Black Top unit of course. Full factory JDM spec on this one so it's 165hp and maybe 2 torques. In order to swap in this engine a few other works have to be done. Including fuel tank replacement with one from the injection model (including injected specific sender), new brake servo, and new steering rack (from the Corolla BZ, quite quick ratio). I also believe the radiator is bigger than stock but still only 1 fan, the car runs quite hot as it is but not overheating. The engine is factory individual throttle bodies.

The gearbox on this is a 6-Speed close ratio. No-LSD. The final ratio is 4.529 so at motorway speed this thing quite literally scream at 3,900rpm. But obviously acceleration in whatever gear is pretty much as you wish as long as you keep the rev higher than 4000rpm.

Apart from aftermarket air filter and full exhaust from the manifold to the back. This motor is completely standard.

post-26170-0-13116500-1528362939_thumb.jpg

*Gratuitous no rot shot*

post-26170-0-40093400-1528362971_thumb.jpg

The inside is also pretty much standard. Apart from bangin stereo for me tunes. And also the need to convert dashboard to GTi spec. The bonus of which is useful extra gauges such as oil pressure and volt meter. I love this cluster.

post-26170-0-28241500-1528363067_thumb.jpg

My dad think the seats aren't original. And he may have a point, this might have been swapped from a JDM donor car. (dad for scale).

post-26170-0-18754500-1528363106_thumb.jpg

Keep fit windows!

Thank you murray head for the thread!

Having visited Thailand once a few years back (well outside of Bangkok) I was quite interested in the specification of vehicles for hot climate.. no heater matrix, no heater controls, no vents to the windsceen or to the feet, just a big dial for the AC that goes from cold to colder.

I tried having a drive. The RHD-ness of everything was nice and familiar, but that was about it. My host over there, who spoke precious little English was trying to give me instructions in Thai. About the only thing I could guage was the tone of his voice.. when it went up about three octaves, I realised we might be in a bit of danger!