Stanky's Celica - provisionally sold

Stanky

Booking a slot in the maelstrom that is AS, just in case we run out of posts this week or something.

Hold on tight for a rollercoaster of a ride on a modest budget with literally some of the ingredients you might have enjoyed in other people's collection threads, rehashed into a pale shadow of others originality. I'm taking a big gamble here, taking on a car with an almost 12 month test with zero advisories, awarded to a 90s japanese coupe with a petrol engine, 114 newfangled horsepower transmitted via 50% of the wheels. Previously owned by several forum members who've looked after it for some while.

big gamble eh?

TL;DR - fat bald man travels short distance to buy reliable car

Here is a taster of just how much of a high roller I really am

post-5525-0-34861000-1528230051_thumb.jpg

Thats right, £16 big ones to travel in luxury* for over 2 hours, crossing 2 county borders and taking in a scheduled stop in the recently-featured-in-the-news and hopefully freshly decontaminated city of Salisbury, then onwards into the West Country to collect my steed.

Tax and Insurance are sorted, MOT is in place, pocket money is stored safely in my, ummm, pocket? and pez money is squirrelled for the obligatory petrol station shot.

Only one sleep left, then trip to the dentist, then call the hospital about rearranging something and THEN muvva-flippas, I'll be shaking AS to its core with my kerrrrr-azee quest.

Stay tuned for moar action. maybe even with photos if I can work out how to make tapatalk work.

Thanks Holbeck! A* seller, would buy from again, especially due to the BONUS free pez can liberated from a bin in the vicinity of the car. My inner Mr Trebus spotted it as Holbeck reversed the Celica out of the garage and on closer inspection is seems fuel-tight.

Decent metal 5l can in go-faster red for free. Brucey Bonus. Its now in the garage, having just got home.

Car drives really well, handling is lovely and taught, gearshift is very precise and engine is happy to rev. It took me about 2 and a half hours to cover the 120 odd miles home, there are an awful lot of roundabouts on the A35 and A31! 

Eldest_daughter_Stanky has been out to inspect and is impressed that it 'has a rear wing daddy, so its a sports car' which I'll go with! Everything works, is logically laid out and its a nice place to be. Jobs to do extend as far as a wash, clay and potentially t-cut some of the pogweasel-y bits and get the front wheels balanced as there is a bit of vibration through the wheel at 70-75mph, I popped into my local tyre place as I got to Fareham but they were just shutting up shop for the day, I'll get it done at the weekend.

How recent is the rusty bleb on the driver side sill? I'll probably wire brush it, then whack some rust converter and primer on it this weekend and get a rattle can of toyota red to go over it with. Does anyone know if this gloop that toolstation sell actually works?

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p97400

thanks for tuning in everyone, I'm a happy boy with the new car! Nice to meet you Holbeck and have a ride in another fine ex-Vantman Saab! 

You beat me to it , I am contemplating getting shot of my mx5 for something with a bit more room .... but then again roof down is a bonus .

I'll come and have a look next time I'm down.

Yep let me know next time you're down this way and you're more than welcome to take it out for a spin and see what you think. Not the last word in outright power but is lovely and sharp handling wise and is fun to zoom about in. I'm taking it to work tomorrow and going the back way deliberately to give it a bit of a spin on some good roads.