Has anyone had a lorry transported? Is it hi - NOW BODGE 50 HORSEBO11OX THREAD (Now with added turtles)

Mr_Bo11ox

• 1 month later...

Just a thought [B4 bed]

..... cool avatar .... through thick and thin [reality and Beige 'handbags @40 paces' discord] that Smiling TWAT has pervaded your every post!

Beyond Parody....

I know, I know... Politics is kept to the DarkWob.

Just luvvinn his grinning pie-target!!

Keep It Up m8

Some great efforts going on there to sort this old truck properly. My sympathies for the cab floor, very similar state to that LDV that I did. I persuaded the owner to leave the interior mat out in the end as the cab still leaks and they hold so much water it's ridiculous, it weighed a bloody tonne when we dragged it out. Yes it's louder but at least the rest of it didn't dissolve within 6 months of doing the job.

Keep up the good work :-) 

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Any recommendations on spot-weld drills?

I’ve just got a 6mm and 8mm ‘Dormer’ brand spot weld drill. I’ve had them for years and amazingly they both still seem to work as well as they did when they were new. I seem to recall when I bought them they came with a note saying that when they were worn out, they could be sent back to Dormer and exchanged against some new ones, but they show no sign of going blunt. I guess they never get hot so the heat treatment on ‘em lasts well as long as the metallurgy is good in the first place. They’re one of my favourite bits of gear when getting involved in this sort of stuff, you think ‘how TF did I manage before I got these’!

I am thinking of splashing on a set of hammers and dollies as my next tin-bashing investment, there’s quite a nice ‘Kennedy’ branded one on ebay for about £60 that’s winking at me, its gonna have to wait till next payday though. I love adding to my tin-bashing armoury. I have this vision of myself in a few years, when my professional qualifications and knowledge (diesel engines) are completely worthless, travelling round in the truck with all my tools on board, welding up old cars for people in exchange for food/diesel/peace and quiet.

I'll have a hunt for a set. Probably the brand has been bought out and now selling overpriced inferior stuff from Asia. 

There is a PRICECUT15 promo code on eBay at the moment on selected sellers. There are a couple of tool sellers that take the code. So you might find that those dollies and hammers are covered by it. 

I've just gone overboard and splashed out on one of those Makita LXT grinders + couple of genuine batteries. I bloody hate getting tangled in mains wires when cutting + grinding in awkward places. Not cheap but then that promo code knocked off almost £40 off it and they were the cheapest sellers of the stuff on eBay too. 

Payday at the end of the week for most too...

Chuffing hell, that's a fuckton of work and no mistake. Your powers of clairvoyance around this time last year were strong...

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:19 PM, Mr_Bo11ox said:

I do like these Dodge 50's, and the idea of having a Perkins engine is very appealing but I reckon they have all got rotten cabs as well as the old 'zero service parts availability' issue!!! I kind of want to build a house in it not piss about doing a 6-month weldfest so this is probably a bad choice.

Glad to see you're keeping going with it, mind - I suppose at some point it'll be hole-free and, once drowned in Dinitrol, should hopefully last a bit longer than the original biscuit-tin-grade steel.

+1 on the longevity of Dormer drill bits. My grandfather (ex-Mackies engineer) made me up a full set of HSS bits from his workshop for my 16th birthday - they were the only brand he recommended. Although some of the tiny ones have broken and been replaced, the majority are still going strong all these years later. 

14 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

A breif horsebo11ox news update...

Dropped a bollock there, I could do with some captive nuts along that edge to nip down the engine cover with and I have not added any. I'll have to try and do it from underneath.

rivnuts are for winners in situations where they need to hold really fucking tight. only need to drill from one side

If it just needs to hold in place then big acme screws and a smoll hole in the floor, let them cut their own thread

Loving the thread

I've got a stash of HDD magnets for the flat panels when needing an extra pair of hands...…… they're incredibly strong for their size…… There's always a HDDD dying somewhere in your social circle. I've got the 'proper' ones too - but tend to use het smaller HDD bitches in preference. sadly - I think I have several on the chassis of various cars I've worked on, as i stick 'm close when busy and of course forget to take the damn things off afterwards………..

Good looking work there Bo11, it's a shame you've found ask that extra to do but at least some of it can be pulled out and fettled 'on the bench'. You'll reap the benefits sorting all those little holes out now, they're the ones that become untraceable leaks once you're on the road, ask me how I know!

Keep it up!

I actually passed one of these in the village at the weekend - green but otherwise very similar.  I wondered if it'd also been converted into a camper as it was coming down from the coast and the giffer at the wheel (75 if he was a day) didn't look the horsey type.

• 10 months later...

Every time I see this I marvel at how tiny the front discs are.  To be fair I always thought the brakes were pretty decent on the two later 50s I had (the early one was on drums all round which were thunderously shit).

Good luck with the fettling - sounds like the scuttle is going to be a pain in the arse, although probably more feasible than trying to remove and refit a Mercedes gearbox single-handedly.