Has anyone had a lorry transported? Is it hi - NOW BODGE 50 HORSEBO11OX THREAD (Now with added turtles)

Mr_Bo11ox

i used to work for a company that converted new vans (mainly fiat ducatos) into mobile workshops for the hydraulic hose industry, we would send our standard van leaf springs to Joneses Springs in Wolverhamton for "uprating".

The refitted  "uprated" springs would last about 2 weeks before they would gradually  flatten out and the Van would end up with the rear axle sitting on its bump stops

So, in short, an engineering firm that doesn't. 

"It's the right shape, what more could you want?" sounds very Chinese manufacturing knockoff, doesn't it?

I'm sorry they decided their work was adequate- if they don't have the correct spec for a set of springs surely the answer is "sorry mate but we don't have the correct spec for those springs so we wouldn't be able to match the load rate.", surely?

I understand trying to drum up business in these times but it's not like they're making something that doesn't have to conform to proper standards. The state of the country ect ect.

I would look at airbags though- if nothing else you can bring them down to about 15% for when the khazi is empty and ramp up the pressure when you're carrying a new collection of gilt effect Royal Doulton model houses, just as an assist but if nothing else get the curvature of those springs set correctly to match? I guess it comes down to how it drives and the C&U book.

5 hours ago, goosey said:

i used to work for a company that converted new vans (mainly fiat ducatos) into mobile workshops for the hydraulic hose industry, we would send our standard van leaf springs to Joneses Springs in Wolverhamton for "uprating".

The refitted  "uprated" springs would last about 2 weeks before they would gradually  flatten out and the Van would end up with the rear axle sitting on its bump stops

Ours are back on and looking nice and high, hopefully they don’t flatten out. It is a fairly light car though.

What I used to do in the days when leaf springs were plentiful.

Obtain 2 extra main leafs. cut the eyes off   longer than half way down the end eyes. just as it starts to curl up

Leaving main leaf on van, remove centre bolt, fit extra main leaf under main leaf, adding remaining  leafs, possibly leave short bottom leaf out.

Thus you have a double main leaf. All you need is a couple of half decent main leafs.

That's pretty poor service TBH, even after you've tried to give them an opportunity to fix it. If you get your dough back, might be worth holding on until you get the back of the van finished so you actually have an axle weight to work to as a specification.  In all honesty, there could be so much variation in rear body styles that  it's unlikely that there could be one spring that is right for them all. If you are going to get springs made, you may as well wait until you have a good final weight with all the fixtures and fittings in there.

We have 'self weigh' weighbridges over here which are handy to easily get axle weights, just press a button and drive over the plates. I'm sure there will be similar there. 

• 2 months later...

nice news on springs, but i'd still look at fitting Air bags..after driving HGV's for a living, the difference between springs and bags is night and day.

My old Scania had air bags and was like driving a Cloud, even loaded, plus 9+ years and close to 450k KM and never had one pop or even leak

On 1/21/2021 at 12:00 PM, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Quick update on this, not a lot is happening TBH mainly due to abysmal weather and also all my spare time is being used up renovating the bathroom in my house. Thats nearly finished though thankfully.

One bit of actual news is that the truck is now back on its wheels, sitting on springs that give more or less the right ride height.

I took the 'new' springs to Midland Motor springs in Notts and asked them to increase the camber from 3.5" to 5.5". They did that, charging me £150 for the job.  I then brought the springs home and waited till @cobblers was really desperate for his axle stands back, before I fitted em in the pissing rain, almost squashing my leg to f*** under the axle while i was on. To my huge relief they look much more like it, a decent few inches of clearance between the tyre and the arch, and some decent curvature remaining in the springs under static load. I've still got quite a lot of bongo car mags in the back as well although I have got rid of about half of the full stash so far.

Then in the best news of the whole friggin story, my credit card dispute was concluded in my favour and I got the full £400 refunded onto my credit card last night! So fucking chew on that Owen Springs!!!!

Anyway I'm gonna spend some of that on a few new door seals & other bits from Rock Auto, plus a couple of new rear axle bump stops and valve extensions & whatnot. Still have to change the screen too, I am gonna call in an offer of help from @Ian_Fearn on that if we ever get out of friggin lockdown. Cheers!

Truck.jpg

Serves the Zebedee"s right for trying to have your pants down

Owen to their CBA level of customer service.  

Given another firm managed to fix the issue, you just gotta wonder why Mr Owen couldn't keep up with the Joneses.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Not entirely horsebollocks related, but a couple of months ago the snowplough over the hill posted on FB that their snowplough had been vandalised - two windows smashed and the fuel tank punctured.

May be an image of outdoors

May be an image of 1 person

I pointed @Mr_Bo11ox at the post and he straightaway volunteered some spare glass he had.  With a bit of too-ing and fro-ing @task very kindly picked up the glass when he was on his way up for visit chez_L1 the other week, and we took it along.

IMG_20210620_152049.thumb.jpg.fd1d8e7e13b72ca644303a28a1a7a5b8.jpg

Despite this being 'baby' bertha, it's a beast.  Thanks again to Boll and Task for stepping up to help out a random community service.

This reminded me I've had a piece of Seat Ibiza glass in my shed for about 4 yrs that I liberated for Mr B in return for some welding he did on the Rover 220 SLI during my custodianship of it, no idea if he still has his Ibiza but can't bear to tip it. anyone need a rear drivers window for a 3 door MK1 Ibiza  :) ?

On 7/6/2021 at 12:04 PM, task said:

Kind of @loseroneto arrange it all and help out the service!

Brilliant to read that you all got involved, and hope that karma somehow does its thing to the perps. 

That snowplough certainly looks like it's lived, but does it actually have much mileage on the clock?

16 hours ago, omegod said:

This reminded me I've had a piece of Seat Ibiza glass in my shed for about 4 yrs that I liberated for Mr B in return for some welding he did on the Rover 220 SLI during my custodianship of it, no idea if he still has his Ibiza but can't bear to tip it. anyone need a rear drivers window for a 3 door MK1 Ibiza  :) ?

I think N*gel B*ckle has a Mk1 Ibiza...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...