Has anyone had a lorry transported? Is it hi - NOW BODGE 50 HORSEBO11OX THREAD (Now with added turtles)

Mr_Bo11ox

1 hour ago, binhoker668 said:

Actually, I take it all back.  You only achieve true* shiter status if you...........DO IT ALL AGAIN.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/horsebox-renault-dodge-50-series/254566579385?hash=item3b4559bcb9:g:3okAAOSwhtNej2yk

"STARTS PERFECT"

You just know from the fact it is surrounded by so much shite they can only photograph a 15 degree portion of the front corner it hasn't moved in 10+ years

Yeah it looks quite a nice job that doesnt it. Mine must owe me a figure close to his bid price as well, and yet mine is still sat on the drive un-MOT'd, looking like shite and with the conversion at 0% completion!!!

I think mine is slightly longer in the body than his, and I think I prefer the box design on mine with the curvy front but I would still give that a robust 7.7/10 I think. (Also I would advise any potential buyers to inspect the scuttle carefully)

46 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

How much weight must be in that though with all that wood, tiles, stove, tins of Marvel and so on.

Looks lovely though

The thing with Dodge 50s is that the performance* seems to be exactly the same whether they are running empty or at maximum GVW, so weight of fixtures and fittings isn't too much of a concern.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I've been slowly pottering along with this thing, I'll knock up an update this weekend. I see Photobucket has ballsed up half my photos again, what a hopelessly unreeliable site that is. I just logged into my paypal and fathomed how to cancel my annual payment to those clueless shitheads.

8 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

I find that one of the joys of shiting in the 21st century, is that you can order exactly what nuts and bolts you need off eBay and they arrive 2 days later for like £3.

if you listen carefully you can hear @Zelandeth laugh/cry in the distance

but on a serious note, seriously awesome work, really awesome to see it all come together :) top work! :)  

On 4/17/2020 at 12:10 PM, spartacus said:

I'll play devils advocate here, how noisy was your T25 at the outset Cobblers, I've used some of that stuff on my LDV and it's made a difference, although it has taken quite a bit! My understanding is that for low frequencies you need mass loaded vinyl for the bulkhead/floor of the cab, I won't even begin to try and explain it, there's going to be somebody here who knows already!

The best stuff has thin layers of lead or lead-loaded plastic between layers of elastomer like neoprene etc; it's expensive and it works. Halyard Marine sell it, there are probably other sources. Obvs the AS way would be to get some cheap neoprene and evostik roofing lead over it.

So satisfying when new metal appears where before there was nothing but dust and air. Seeing this has given me a bit of a mojo boost for the Fiesta.

I have no experience of how to fix up the carpets, but would it make sense to cover the floor in clingfilm or something and use something rubbery and spreadable to make moulded base board which you could then stick the carpet to using a heat gun or something to help spread it into the curves? Could you potentially even make the base of of the sound proofing mat silver side down with fibre glass or something on top so it holds its shape when removed.

9 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

Bostik flash band will quieten down larger panels that resonate. 

The marine stuff with the metal layer is good but heavy.  Might be best for engine and transmission cover.

Second that, I've used this on camper van projects to pad out panels, floors and roof areas and it works surprisingly well.

For the carpet, cut along the top and bottom curve of the vertical bit of the moulded bit in the middle.  If you cut from the bulkhead edge where the vertical curves join in a point, you should find that you have a big flat piece for the floor, a smaller flat piece for the top of the cover, and a weird Chesire Cat smile shaped piece that wraps around.  To remake, you basically take these pattern pieces, add a bit extra material  to the edges, and sew along what were the cut curves.  If you add up to an inch to the edge all the carpet pieces you should avoid any issues with the carpet being too short around the edges and can trim it back to suit.

You can also make the hump separately from the main floor section if you prefer, and attached the carpet and sound proofing directly to the hump so that piece can be removed without lifting the whole carpet, should you need to.  If you use a rubber backed carpet generally you don't need to worry about frayed edges, if frayed edges are a concern you can buy various different sorts of edge binding that you simply sew on, you just have to be fairly accurate with that if you want a nice fit.