Has anyone had a lorry transported? Is it hi - NOW BODGE 50 HORSEBO11OX THREAD (Now with added turtles)

Mr_Bo11ox

30 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Yeah The Conversation was on telly the other night so I watched it. I had not realised just what a fantastic film that is. Very quiet, tense; a simple story with not many characters in it. But really atmospheric, really gripping throughout. Just a total treat from start to finish. A few good shite cars in it briefly too. 11/10

Thanks Mark Kermode. Will watch out for that one.

Great progress on the Dodge, but what of the terrapins? The family enjoyed hearing about them the other night and would like to know more.

Well the turtle news is that Maude has been up and down to the new beach area quite a few times now, practising her digging, but I don't think she's laid any eggs yet. She's got a good digging technique - uses her back legs swapping side to side after each 'sweep', its quite funny to watch. Today she dug right down to the bottom of the box, I hope she's not going to start moaning on that its not deep enough.

I think it can cause bad health problems if they don't get their eggs laid when they're ready but I don't know what else I can do to encourage her. Also I think I read that the first time they lay some eggs, its a bit of a drawn-out affair anyway. Hopefully she feels relaxed enough in the beach area that she's just working up to it.

Managed to get maybe an hour and a half in on this today. No more welding to be done on the passenger side so time to start stripping out the drivers side.

P1090450.jpg

That didnt take long. Here's some of the bits I removed - pedal box, brake servo, wiring loom.... The loom has 4 big plugs at the bulkhead, you can unplug these and remove the interior wiring harness complete. 

P1090451.jpg

Heres the brake master cylinder, I didnt want to disturb this, I find old hydraulic systems often start playing up when you try and bleed them thorough after a 'major disturbance' like this. The seal kits are expensive and if you need a rebuild (no new ones exist) its a £170 touch at past parts. I will clean this up a bit but I hope I don't end up needing to open it up!!

P1090453.jpg

Even the flippin pedal box needs some welding

P1090452.jpg

Anyway with that lot out I could have a proper look at the crustacea:

P1090455.jpg

P1090454.jpg

Hmm, looks pretty chronic but I don't think its any worse than the passenger side really. Basically just got to repeat what I've already done on the pass side. Must remember not to blast the neighbour's window with angle grinder sparks BTW

P1090459.jpg

P1090458.jpg

The drivers footwell isn't great. Al Bundy patched this up  in 2018 and i think he did what he could with the access he had (very limited) but now the dash and pedal box is out, this area really looks like it could do with some more in-depth sorting out. I might find it hard to look past this lot if I have invested loads of time sorting out the rotten bulkhead. At least this area is mainly constructed from fairly straightforward flat bits. Think I will order up some extra Zintec! Le sigh......

P1090456.jpg

Would it be worth keeping the master cylinder immersed in fresh brake fluid?  Figure it might help prevent the seals drying out?  No idea if it would help, just a thought that popped into my head.

I actually saw one of these trucks today, a matt black recovery flatbed apparently lacking any exhaust based on how loud it was from the opposote side of the dual carriageway, roaring off down the A5 sounding like a bloody Spitfire as I turned off into MK.  Can't remember last time I saw one.

Past Parts sell master cylinder kits which aren’t too expensive, about £30 I think. There is an exchange master cylinder on the shelf or was the last time I was there, but it carries a mega surcharge so best to send your one in first if you need one!

The clutch hydraulics can fail as well, again we’ve got all the kits on the shelf and can rebuild. Got all the flexis as well iirc. We get shitloads of enquiries for Dodge 50/RB44 brake/clutch cylinders of all types, yours is a posh one with front discs! As an aside, those discs are fashioned of purest unobtanium, same with the trackrod ends, kingpins, etc.

Cheers AD!! I am pretty certain I'll be drafting in PP at some stage, I am envisaging pulling the rear wheel cylinders off and sending them in for a refurb when the time comes to bleed the brakes through after reassembling this lot. I'm hoping the master cyl will survive the ordeal, but we'll see. The clutch master and slave are visibly pretty new-looking amazingly, so hopefully they will be OK, plus I have not broken into the system there.

I'm glad it's not just me who always seems to end up having to put a new master cylinder on every time I need to bleed the brakes on any car. Presumably (Angrydicky can probably clarify?) it's because the bore of the MC is corroded/clarted up outside of it's normal "throw" so pumping the pedal down the the floor to shift the fluid knackers the O rings?

1 hour ago, cobblers said:

I'm glad it's not just me who always seems to end up having to put a new master cylinder on every time I need to bleed the brakes on any car. Presumably (Angrydicky can probably clarify?) it's because the bore of the MC is corroded/clarted up outside of it's normal "throw" so pumping the pedal down the the floor to shift the fluid knackers the O rings?

Hi, Yes it knackers the seals by making them roll over as they pass the wear/dirty ridge and they don't function as they should. Pressure bleeding with out moving the pedal can over come that problem.

Colin

Wow.  Have just done a mega catch-up on this.  Have always loved Dodge 50s, but with the lack of skills and the state of them all these days, your thread is as close as I'll ever get!  Massive respect boyo.  What a legendary job!  

I also hear from Volksy that Fotorabia is sniffing around these parts again?  

Excellent.  I've been on autoshite-hiatus for a while, but THIS is the good shit!

Impressive work, cap'n. There's something immensely satisfying about seeing jagged bits of metal come together again to form a whole. Kinda like repairing an eggshell or something.

Really, really looking forward to seeing this all back together again and (hopefully) mobile before too long.

Onwards to victory!

Great work there Reginald_Testicles, both on tickling the Horsebollox and the hot terrapin action.

I had a proper chuckle at BoJack Horsebox too. I'd highly recommend the similarly named show.

Your welding has kept my mojo up on welding my Mk1 Fiesta while the weather has been nice, so thanks for that too!

They all 'Start perfect'!!! (Well, the Phaser engined ones do anyway)

Mine fired straight up first click after being left untouched for about 8 months!!!

They're a thing of wonder these Perkins engines. Happy to go at full chat all day, dragging a plough up and down a field or whatever. Theyre not a cheap item.... seems strange to me that they would end up in these trucks which are one big exercise in cooking something up on a shoestring. Same with the 5-speed ZF transmission, Fancy!!!