Has anyone had a lorry transported? Is it hi - NOW BODGE 50 HORSEBO11OX THREAD (Now with added turtles)

Mr_Bo11ox

14 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Back on the lorry, I cleaned up the new scuttle and uncovered a load of rust (surprise surprise)

P1090396.jpg

I don't mind the odd pinhole, but that was too much. So:

P1090398.jpg

P1090400.jpg

Thats better

Next, because I had chopped it out, the ends of the new scuttle were missing. I had to extend it to replace the bits 'left behind' in the scrap cab:

P1090403.jpg

Made it over-long with the idea that I would chop it down to fit. Had to do lots of measuring to be reasonably sure the 'extension' would sit comfortably against the front wing, the bulkhead and the scuttle drains.

P1090405.jpg

OK that will do!!

Right there was not a lot else I could do with it at this stage. Had to get ready to start slicing the old bulkhead out.

Started by draining the coolant:

P1090406.jpg

This was fresh coolant not long ago, now its black! I think I will bin it and clean the circuit out with a dishwasher tablet before refilling it.

P1090407.jpg

With the coolant drained and the expansion bottle off, I could get a good eyeful of the grot:

P1090408.jpg

Took the heater out. Every single cable and lever on this is seized solid. Will see if I can free them off, if not I have a spare heater box from the scrap cab (dont know if that is any better mind you)

P1090409.jpg

Eeeewwww!

P1090411.jpg

OK now we have good access to the whole bulkhead.

P1090414.jpg

Started working out and marking up where to slice this thing down to fit. measured up and scribed all the cut lines:

P1090415.jpg

After a lot of chopping I had this. I chopped it in 'half' as I want to do the job one side at a time so as to not feel too overwhelmed by the whole truck being in a million pieces!! Looks useful though right?

P1090416.jpg

Started marking up on the bulkhead as well;

P1090418.jpg

Lots of measuring and scribing

P1090420.jpg

Ooohhh!! Thats the malignant tissue excised (Yes i know it has gone metastatic)

P1090421.jpg

Nice big gaping hole in the cab now

P1090422.jpg

Offered it up. Needed quite a lot chopping off the 'extension' and a bit of fettling but was not too bad a fit.

Not great though. Those vertical stiffening ribs actually don't line up all that well. I've got it clamped on that rectangular fan duct in the middle, if I align that, the vertical ribs are out by about 8mm at the outer edge! 

I did read that the metalwork on these is all over the shop. I think the bits that were common to the yankee van, were pressed in the states and sent to Dunstable. The Dodge 50-specific bits were tooled up in the UK. They had loads of problems because the yankee parts were off tooling that was already ancient and the parts were nowt like the drawings. So tooling up new parts to fit with them was a nightmare and it led to never-ending panel fit and cab assembly problems. Certainly there is a marked visible difference between these two scuttle panels.

P1090425.jpg

P1090429.jpg

P1090426.jpg

P1090428.jpg

Anyway, after having it in and out half a dozen times I was happy with the fit Ias much as I was ever gonna be). I removed it and cleaned up all the edges ready for welding. Then I took a deep breath and stitched it in!!!

P1090436.jpg

Fucking BOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!

P1090432.jpg

After like 4 days of preparation it only took about half an hour to weld it in. I've still got to do the curvy bit at the outer edge but will get on that tomorrow. But, the bulkhead itself seems very satisfactory. Phew!!

P1090435.jpg

P1090433.jpg

What a job!!! I can't wait to get it all cleaned up and a coat of paint and seam sealant on it. That will be a right mojo booster.

Obvs I still have the drivers side to do but I'm hoping I can do that a little quicker now i've done it once already. Hopefully i will need less 'thinking time' on it.

P1090437.jpg

After all this high-intensity tat work over the last few days, the garage is looking like a total shit tip! I might invest an hour in sorting it out this weekend. Or I might not!!! 

More soon!!!

Awesome stuff once more! keep up the good work

im happy to see "the mojo" has returned for this project :) 

Brilliant to see yet another update. As you say, this whole change in lifestyle thing certainly makes time to reflect on what is or should be most important. 

When it's eventually finished, you need to drive to a decent spot/B&Q car park, kick back on your custom fitted sofa and treat yourself with a gift...

balls of steel.jpeg

13 minutes ago, cobblers said:

"Bollox Bulkhead services -  Any bulkhead repaired no job to big or small" I reckon thats the lifestyle change you need man. Plod around the country sorting out massive great rotholes on motorhomes in the rain. Just imagine what a boost to your mental health it would be!

But if anyone asks you to weld up the steering-rack-to-bulkhead mount on a Saab 9-3, tell them to FRO.

There was a right carryoff a few months back on the facebook page of that bloke who's done some bits of welding on my van, He'd welded pretty much an entire new lower half up on a transit minibus that some potless woman was running around as her only car. By the sounds of it he'd done her quite a favour on the price and obviously done a "robust" job of it with plates rather than her spending money on repair sections to do a nice job.

She ran it through the test and it passed, but got an advisory just saying "welding done to a standard" (What does that mean anyway?) she was giving it all that claiming he'd ripped her off and put her kiddiewinks in danger etc, all her mates were piling on as well. I felt really bad for the bloke, you just can't win.

Anyway if you come up and do the bulkhead on my talbot I'll pay £75 and it's got to be done to basically as new standard using bits of steel cut out of the side of an old PC case. Obviously you'll need to take the windscreen out and any other rust you find round that is your problem not mine

7 minutes ago, cobblers said:

She ran it through the test and it passed, but got an advisory just saying "welding done to a standard" (What does that mean anyway?) she was giving it all that claiming he'd ripped her off and put her kiddiewinks in danger etc, all her mates were piling on as well. I felt really bad for the bloke, you just can't win.

It means that the garage didn't get the work, and this is his way of proving a point. As for the woman, well. 

Not that I'd be able to afford his services but I'd 100% let MrB at any of my cars, welding or mechanicals. 

4 hours ago, cobblers said:

There was a right carryoff a few months back on the facebook page of that bloke who's done some bits of welding on my van, He'd welded pretty much an entire new lower half up on a transit minibus that some potless woman was running around as her only car. By the sounds of it he'd done her quite a favour on the price and obviously done a "robust" job of it with plates rather than her spending money on repair sections to do a nice job.

Anyway if you come up and do the bulkhead on my talbot I'll pay £75 and it's got to be done to basically as new standard using bits of steel cut out of the side of an old PC case. Obviously you'll need to take the windscreen out and any other rust you find round that is your problem not mine

Has he disappeared off facebook that guy? Not seen him for a while, Always seemed to do splendid work. I hope he told that women to ram it!!!

He was on there last Friday because I pencilled the talbot in with him for a sill on it, but he's disappeared! The private message thing just says "Facebook user" instead of "Transit County". Must have woken up one morning and just set fire to his computer instead of dealing with any more talbots! 

I think I've got his mobile number somewhere.  His name was Dee something or other I seem to recall.

That's him! I ordered the sill 10 days ago, it's been sat at Nottingham parcelforce depot all week, probably jutting out into the corridor being run over with a fork truck every 45 seconds. TBH it couldn't make it fit much worse. I bet some lockdown zealot has seen the "Coastal Motorhomes" packing tape and keeps throwing it to the bottom of the pile.

I remember taking you to fetch this. 2018 seems so far away. The trip was eventful. The Romanian plated sprinter with twin axle trailer and Ford ranger doing well in excess of 90mph on the motorway, me losing my windscreen due to captain Cockhead trying to overtake me and mr bollocks through the Chevrons and peppering my car with stones and debris from the siding. I wasnt impressed as I had 3 or so days before i was going to isle of wight and needed to get screen replaced.  How he thought he could get past an Octavia and a horse box is beyond me.  Looking a lot better for the work you have done. 

I still cant get over that sprinter. We were doing 85,them supercars from the services went past us at a fair lick then the sprinter passed us and them like stood still. He was out of view in no time. That ford ranger and trailer it was on being towed by the sprinter must have weighed in excess of 3 ton 

17 minutes ago, bub2006 said:

I still cant get over that sprinter. We were doing 85,them supercars from the services went past us at a fair lick then the sprinter passed us and them like stood still. He was out of view in no time. That ford ranger and trailer it was on being towed by the sprinter must have weighed in excess of 3 ton 

Reminds me of that Belingo driven by the old couple on the m1 when you picked me up to collect the Xantia! 

We were pushing on in relative comfort (a4) and this Berlingo just kept up bubs arse. Doddery old couple in the front

7 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Little bit more done on the Bodge 50 yesterday. (Also got a new Avatar as I think we've all seen enough of the frog-faced fascist twat and poster boy for fuckwitted 'Im not a racist but'-types Nigel Farage)

Also finished off the welding on th passenger side:

P1090445.jpg

Had to make a tricky patch with a 3-d curvature, I did the old 'Esther Rantzen teeth' trick on it but it wasn't my best ever effort

It's nice not to be reminded of Farridge, now that the cunt's not on the news 24/7

I will now forever think of radiussing (?) repair panels in that way as Esther Ranty's teeth.

Very fitting. Unlike most of my repair panels.

Yeah The Conversation was on telly the other night so I watched it. I had not realised just what a fantastic film that is. Very quiet, tense; a simple story with not many characters in it. But really atmospheric, really gripping throughout. Just a total treat from start to finish. A few good shite cars in it briefly too. 11/10