Has anyone had a lorry transported? Is it hi - NOW BODGE 50 HORSEBO11OX THREAD (Now with added turtles)

Mr_Bo11ox

P1090421.jpg

Every time I hoover a rust flake out of the footwell on the talbot images like this flash up in my mind.

Fair play to you though man, cutting massive lumps out seems to deffo be the best way to do this, a lot of guys would end up pissarsing about with 9000 little patches snotted on all over the place with spikes of MIG wire dangling out from the back left right and center.

Wouldn't have fancied doing it without the donor bits though!

Top job, excellent fabrication and an excellent approach.

It’s a good job you hadn’t got it finished earlier or we might have seen you on the news “car enthusiast from the midlands planned to live the lockdown in a converted horsebox, turned around by pohwleece at the border”

Ha!!! Know what you mean, it will be a shame to cover this all up again when i know how much work has gone into it.

Got big plans to 'soundproof' the cab however as much as possible, ordered some sound deadening foam to cover the whole bulkhead and various grommets and bungs to seal up assorted unused holes. I don't know if I will achieve any detectable improvement in NVH within the cab, but I hope so as previously it was like being trapped inside a filing cabinet that's rolling down the side of Mt Kilimanjaro

If it's that shiny faced 8mm thick self adhesive "sound deadening" foam I wouldn't bother with it, I put 3 layers over the entire inside of my T25 and it made exactly FUCK ALL difference,  I used about 2 large rolls of it in a little van and it was still a right noisy unpleasant bastard to be in. I think it's primarily for heat insulation.

Flashband/ bitument dynamat knockoff stuff seemed to make an OK difference when I used that on other stuff

21 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Got big plans to 'soundproof' the cab however as much as possible, ordered some sound deadening foam to cover the whole bulkhead and various grommets and bungs to seal up assorted unused holes. I don't know if I will achieve any detectable improvement in NVH within the cab, but I hope so as previously it was like being trapped inside a filing cabinet that's rolling down the side of Mt Kilimanjaro

It's never going to be a model of refinement when you've got a 4-litre Phaser basically sat in your lap.  The engine cover does have a certain level of soundproofing from the factory on these at least - unlike the Commer Walkthrough where the engine cover is basically just half a coal scuttle.

8 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Its some 6mm closed cell neopreney stuff . Don't tell me that!!!!

I have also got a shedload of 'sound deadening pads' (which I think are like thick flashband material) which I am gonna chuck all over the floor as I reassemble the cab.

Yeah, that's the stuff. Dark grey foam? I spent hours and hours fitting it all over the T25, I cut slices of it to put inbetween the ribs on the floor and bulkhead around the engine in the back to build up to a flat surface then layered three layers on top. Two layers covering the entire roof, 3 or 4 layers under the seat tubs and covered all the insides of the side panels, doors, up under the front bulkhead and everything. Science can't explain it, but it was no quieter. The stuff I used was nearly 10mm thick too.

I'll play devils advocate here, how noisy was your T25 at the outset Cobblers, I've used some of that stuff on my LDV and it's made a difference, although it has taken quite a bit! My understanding is that for low frequencies you need mass loaded vinyl for the bulkhead/floor of the cab, I won't even begin to try and explain it, there's going to be somebody here who knows already!

It was a right noisy bastard, Loads of road noise from the massive silly wheels I had on it plus I put a mk3 golf engine in as well and had to DIY the exhaust and intake so there was loads of engine type noise. The talbot is like a rolls royce in comparison, but perhaps because I used to drive everywhere at 80mph in the T25 and obviously I'm going a lot slower in the talbot.

Tell you what it is, admittedly there are some potential downsides to it (such as 150,000 deaths worldwide so far), but I am quietly very thankful for the relentless onslaught of the global Covid-19 pandemic which has mothballed much of the country and gifted me the time to weld this thing up. I would never have got embroiled in this job if i was only able to do 1-2 hours per week on it which is the normal situation.

In fact working less hours, and working from home, is meaning I have some time to do some stuff that I actually like doing, I had completely forgotten what that felt like. When the lockdown starts getting lifted I need to change my life a bit and get more time back of my own.

I suspect there will be a lot more working from home when this is over (compared to before it started) with obvious environmental benefits.  The benefit to mental health of the social interaction with work colleagues shouldn't be underestimated though.

Edited to add:  I usually think I'm  averagely competent at car tinkering.  Then I read a Bollox thread and feel totally inadequate!

On 4/12/2020 at 10:20 AM, cobblers said:

Nice one man, I must admit I'd be pretty intimidated by the scale of things to do on this big old bastard, good to see some work being completed. Made any plans for the back half yet?

Youtube has recently started suggesting a load of videos by blokes who live full time in converted ambulances and stuff, and if it wasn't for the wife, I reckon that's what I'd be doing, just pottering around between various fields of the peak district. Better than paying a mortgage. A bloke I know is in lockdown living in a trailer tent on a field in Edale, the poxy bastard. 

I keep looking at my welder and the crusty passenger sill on the talbot, but the 6 month MOT extension thing is giving me enough of an excuse to not get started.

Yo @cobblers!

Concerning the back half, I have certainly got some ideas, 'plans' is probably pushing it a bit though. My ideas are:

1.  Replace the roof of the box. At the moment its made from some sort of semi-transparent white plastic that is covered in carbuncles on the top surface and has gone all ripply, brittle and horrible. My idea is to drill out all the rivets, remove it and bin it and replace it with  3-4mm plywood with an aluminium skin over the top. I think that thickness of plywood will bend OK to the curved front section and I also reckon if I get all the materials lined up and cut to size in advance (and buy an air-powered rivet gun) I ought to be able to fit it in a day. I think it could well be a 2-man job though lugging all that plywood and ally sheet up a height. Would you be up for helping me when i get to that stage? 
  2. Strip the sides of the box back to the frame and clean/paint it. I also plan on moving the 2nd-from-rearmost vertical tubes of the frame forward a few inches, so that they can support a permanent 'back wall' inside the box that will give a space maybe 10-12" deep between the back wall and the ramp when the ramp is up.
  3. Re-clad the box in cedar matchboard cladding (applied on the inside of the frame). Going to treat it with oil. I think that will cost a few hundred quid in cladding but i think it will look great and should last OK and be easy to re-treat with oil every so often.
  4. Make a new floor from that composite stuff thats made in the unit near your place. Maybe with a layer of plywood glued on the top over which some nice flooring can go.
  5. 'do the inside!!' haven't planned that in much detail yet TBH but I want to include a bed above the cab, a sofa/loafing bench, little table, decent cooking area and a little shower cubicle/bathroom of some sort. Probs a couple of big solar panels on the roof too. I imagine a dead caravan being involved at this stage.

When you get onto the back end things will move fast. A big square ish box should be easy to fit out. Happy to give you a hand with the roof, I reckon a few ratchet straps and stuff will make the job a bit easier.  I've got an air riveter I could fetch down if I can find the bastard.

Not so sure on the plywood though, it always delaminates if you bend it, What about Dibond/  Aluminium composite sheeting? It's two coated aluminium sheets with some foam/plastic core inside, it would be bang on for the front curved bit at least, maybe for the whole roof - It's used for cladding on buildings. About £75 quid for an 8x4 sheet though so it's quite a bit dearer than ply, but probably cheaper than ply+ a skin of aly.

The sign place over the way uses it, I could always ask him. You can print straight onto it, so you could finish it with something like this:

spacer.png

I fished a sheet out of the skip a while ago but it was all buckled and I just used it to paint stuff on. I've still got whats left of it if you want a look at something. Is there any frame in the middle on that front bit?