Has anyone had a lorry transported? Is it hi - NOW BODGE 50 HORSEBO11OX THREAD (Now with added turtles)

Mr_Bo11ox

We rebuild LOADS of brake and clutch cylinders for these at work and yes, all components are made of purest unobtanium. 

The old shoes will need to be relined too. Whatever you do, don't throw away old components as they can't be replaced! I had some poor woman desperate for a trackrod end for hers the other day, they are also exceptionally rare and I felt sorry for her but what can you do if there's no spares available?

Balls of titanium for even considering one of these old Dodge things. Premier league light truck shite! One of my bus-bothering mates from Scotland has one which is getting a complete rebuild and nearing completion, have a good look through his Flickr stream (including transportation from one workshop to another)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/calummelrose/albums/72157678315843442

We rebuild LOADS of brake and clutch cylinders for these at work and yes, all components are made of purest unobtanium. 

The old shoes will need to be relined too. Whatever you do, don't throw away old components as they can't be replaced! I had some poor woman desperate for a trackrod end for hers the other day, they are also exceptionally rare and I felt sorry for her but what can you do if there's no spares available?

Make them.

I seem to think the shoes are missing from this one.

Must be something with the same radius you could convert.

Or maybe an anchor?

Personally I'd forget it, but if it does happen I'd like to call for a look.

Are the shoes missing because PO couldn't find any and has hawked them round suppliers, if these things were used in the military I have an MOD contact who would be able to see if any were lying about on a dusty shelf somewhere and could be liberated, I'd need the full reg though  

There's a bloke up my street with a fairly badass Isuzu spec lift truck that can carry 3500kg. He reckons he's up for it! But, I would hate for him to get bummed by VOSA which seems a possibility unless I can demonstrate the weight of the horsebox.

He's going to want to tow it with the rear wheels on the spec if he can then - that Phaser engine is extremely heavy and he'll find himself doing a wheelie every time he puts his foot down if he tows it on the front wheels.

I just cant see that these missing brake shoes are such a massive ballache. Theyre a problem for shifting it of course, but with a bit of time spent researching and/or modifying I'm sure some other shoes could be persuaded to fit. There must be some other truck with the same drum diamater and shoes the same width or wider surely. The metal bit of the brake shoe can always be chopped about/redrilled/welded or whatever. It seems like a time thing more than a money thing to me!

Blimey Boll, I know you're up for a challenge but given it's the size of Belgium, half a country away and has all the parts availability of Lord Lucan, are you sure this is the horsebox for you?

Ha!!! The location is a pain in the arse admittedly, but it just seems to tick a lot of boxes. I know these old things are a load of grief with rust and unobtainable parts but I reckon one would be a great base for the 'tiny house' project I spend all day dreaming about. This one looks in pretty decent nick overall, and the size seems about right to me - I reckon it would even fit on the drive when i was ready to do summert with it.

I want to agree with you Bo11, your mini house project intrigues me and will be one of those threads that goes stratospheric very quickly... But, I'm reading between the lines of that ad and I reckon they've 'lost' some fairly important hard to find parts.

I've no doubt you could sort it out but at what cost to you in money and time.

I reckon that 'drawbridge' would make a great verandah/living area extension in a warm country though.

50-series parts can be an absolute bastard but they are out there Boll; from memory there is an issue with front caliper bolts working loose on these "Mk2" 50s, the earlier ones are drums all round.

Calum Melrose on flickr has been mentioned, him and a fella called Graham Cochrane are rebuilding a Mk1 with Chrysler autobox and from memory they broke up a few 50s so may have a few bits and pieces, fairly sure Mk1 and Mk2 back ends are the same - we had some Mk2 parts but they were destroyed with the Mk2 they were stored in.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brake shoes could be fabricated quite easily, it's the fiddly things like self adjusters that would be an arse, might be easier to swap the whole axle for something more common, maybe a change of ratio could be entertained at the same time or if the end result won't be multiple tonnage a swap to single wheel to help with fuel economy. Get it bought, it's not every day you get a chance of your own gaff with a drawbridge.

It may seem the ideal vehicle but logically thinking would it not work out better to pay a bit more for something a bit closer so saving in transport and also something that parts are easier to obtain? Sorry if it's already discussed and I've missed it though.

Well i didnt bid on that Dodge 50 in the end, it went for £710, so I bet would have been getting on for £1100 landed at my unit. Even at that price I'm sort of regretting it admittedly, but I guess I'm in no hurry eh. The business with my wage 'overpayment' has made me feel a bit less rich than I did a week ago!! I think thats what put me off.

I did some googling today and convinced myself that I could persuade some brake shoes from a Dodge RAM pick up to fit with a little modification (right diameter, 0.5" too narrow). Still thats an experiment for another day.

While I'm on a horsebox tip check this out!!!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Man-VW-8-136-Lorry-Horsebox-7-5-t/263731864305

I love these old MAN trucks with the 'fat LT' cab. On an X-reg this is a pretty early one I think. Check out the austere 1970's VW interior!!!! The box looks nicely made as well. I emailed the seller and he reckons its a 5.8 non-turbo diesel with no power steering. Hardcore!!!!

It'll be heavy but perfectly manageable I reckon.

I was somewhat terrified before taking out a Daimler CVG6 (60s double decker, no power steering and a Gardner 6LX in the nose) given the stories I'd been fed about it. Was perfectly bloody fine! The only times I noticed it being anything beyond "a bit heavy" were when parking or one junction where thanks to the road layout you have to basically wait until you're inches from the kerb then wind like hell to get the nose round.

It's a bit like driving the Lada though - once you're used to the car you stop even really noticing the heavy, vague steering.

That's got pretty skinny tyres too, it would be quite manageable I think.