Has anyone had a lorry transported? Is it hi - NOW BODGE 50 HORSEBO11OX THREAD (Now with added turtles)

Mr_Bo11ox

I've seen a horsebox that looks perfect for what I want. I'm not really in a position to buy one just now but this one looks absolutely bob-on and might be cheap as chips. Here it is:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/renault-dodge-horsebox/302752696674

Screen%20Shot%202018-12-05%20at%2022.14.

Its got no brakes at all so defo a recovery job to get it home though. Its a 5.6 tonne gross so probably weighs about 3500-3600 empty i reckon. Its 190 miles from my unit which is the only place I could currenly store it but it seems like it could tick enough boxes that I might be up for paying to have it transported. I've stuck it on shiply, but I know there are 20 people equipped to shift a car for every one person equipped to shift something big like this.

Does anyone have any experience of shifting trucks? What sort of machine would be needed to transport this? Seems optimistic to me that a 7.5 tonne flatbed could carry it legally. Any tips on what its likely to cost to get it trucked 190 miles?

Cheers gang.

Do you know the ULW of it, B01? From memory most 7.5 tonners can take about 3.5 tonnes, but stand to be corrected. I know people who know people, so can probably find someone to quote you if needed. Looking at the size of it though, it'll be a low loader job.

Generally, if you're not in a rush you'll get a better quote as someone will do it as a backload.

*Doesn't 'Scruff' on here drive a low loader for a living

Ha, internet searched it to find ULW and came across this...

http://autoshite.com/topic/11589-newbie-selling-renault-dodge-50-series-recovery-truck/

...different body (obvs) but suggesting payload of 2500kgs, so fair to assume 3,100 unladen?

Well I dont know whats up with the brakes, the shoes are supposedly MIA but who knows what other little noggins have gone awry!!! I asked the seller if the shoes were present but they dont know.

Brake bits for these are seemingly MEGA RARE and I can imagine there are a few differerent sorts for the different weights so i think fixing it might be a little too complicated for an 'on the fly' sort of gig.

I would look at it for you as Fleet (well its probably about 15/18 miles from me) but would be too dark when I come back in the week. I know these things are fairly time sensitive - I could have a look for you next weekend and I will drive over there for you... but as I say, I’m afraid it won’t be until next weekend when I have a spare bit of time

Where is it? My best mate is an hgv fitter...has worked on many a horsebox too!

Can you have someone local have a look at it for you?

I'd certainly be up for paying someone local to fettle the brakes, if they have time and somewhere to park it while some brake shoes are identified and tracked down!

Is the plan to turn this into some kind of camper / dwelling?

Just wondering what you intend to do about the enormous door that takes up half a side.

Good luck and all that...

Astro-turf it, give it little fold-down legs, a windmill, picket fence and a small plastic clown.    Crazy Golf on the go.....

I'll be entering the shite-shifting game as of next week however, my payload is a mere 2.6t. Soz.

Rule of thumb is unladen weight is about half the gross (unless you have some unusually heavy body fitted - reefer bodies are heavy, as are Hiabs etc), so your horsebox probably weighs a knats under 3t in my uneducated guesstimation. In which case it would be fine on a 7.5 tonner. A lot of recovery outfits use 13ish tonners anyway now since you need to be pushing forty at least these days to drive a 7.5t on your 'car' licence and it gives you the payload to carry a fully loaded (or even overloaded) 3.5tonner.

If Bub's up for lending, I reckon his trike would make a cracking A-frame to tug that wonder wagon, then it just needs parking on grass so it can have a moat dug to do justice to that drawbridge on the side. For the rear brakes, maybe it would be feasible to source and modify backplates from something more common, there's only so many drum and cylinder sizes, biggest challenge could potentially be connecting the handbrake. 

If it's anything like shifting a bus...yes, it costs a bloody fortune.

Unless you A: Know someone. B: someone owes you a favour. C: you're bloody lucky...or all of the above.

This has killed many a potential project in the bus preservation world that would be pretty easily saved if they could have been driven to somewhere useful.