Creatively Titled Rover 400 Thread

Ghosty

FUCK FUCK THREADED SPARK PLUG BORE SEND HELP

Dislike.

When you took the plug out, were there pieces of aluminum from the head in the threads of the plug? I've only ever had similar on a motorbike engine, it wasn't severe and I managed to tidy it up with a tap set and installed the plug fine. Maybe you'll be able to do the same if it's not to serious? 

Installing a helicoil looks quite easy, but we attempted it on a mates car years ago and found it to be extremely nerve wracking. 

I cross-threaded The Volvo's number 1 spark plug a few years ago (ironically the easiest to access), but I managed to save the day using a proprietary spark plug chaser I bought cheaply on eBay. I imagine that any decent car spares shop (and Halfords) will sell them.

Top tip: if you use one, put lots of grease on the chaser's threads to collect any swarf.

They've lopped the ISO off, and directly crimped a proprietary connector on so I need to buy and re-wire some ISO plugs.

What's wrong with crimps? Looks like ISO on the end which I bet it didn't have originally.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Er, it's white...

Are you thinking of Oyster Beige, by any chance, or are you referring to the Prism velour seats and 'slate' dash and door cards?

I'm not a nerd, I just have the brochure because it was cheap on eBay.

oil: done

filter: shit access; on rear of engine UNDER THE INLET MANIFOLD, looks clean so can wait for a while until proper tools are acquired

spark plugs: done

ATF: done, will do again

wiper blades: done

The boot didn't always close, sometimes it bounced. Turns out the trim around the base of the rear windscreen was loose.

T-Cutted some scratches out, realised the car needs machine polishing

The front bumper is just off its mounting lugs at the sides, this is easy to fix. I want to take it off anyway as it gives better access to mount the horn compressor.

Guest Hooli

They've lopped the ISO off, and directly crimped a proprietary connector on so I need to buy and re-wire some ISO plugs.

Bah!

Nowt that 20mins with crimps & a new ISO won't fix though. It's the ideal* job for siting in the car on a rainy day.