Galaxy.... Not just a bar of yummy chocolate.

purplebargeken

The Galaxy will be staying with me a little longer folks. 

Thought I may as well start a thread.

The Galaxy. It's a 7 seater, grey interior, red, very red exterior.

Manual and 2 litre petrol flavour.

Things it needs.

I need to fit the better steering wheel, this has all the horn buttons on it. It's less manky too.

It could do with a rocker cover gasket.

The rear are carpet is worn in a couple of places which is sad as the rest of it is ace.

The exhaust has some smoll holes in the long bit. Really small but they are there.

Underneath needs a small bit of welding, think fag packet sized. The rest of it is very, very, very solid.

It needs a drivers door mirror glass due to crackage.  DAB radio to be fitted. 

The clock needs replacing. I bought one but can't find it. I have no idea why I can't find it. It is a puzzle. yet I know if I buy another one, I will instantly find the original one. 

Most biggest faff....... for some reason the black plastic push button thing on the front grille that allows bonnet openings, is being a silly sod and not doing what it is meant to. The pull cable that initially opens the bonnet is fine. I may just spray WD40 or some such stuff in there and see what happens.

Any other ideas that does not involve smashing the grille to small bits would be gratefully appreciated. 

Happily charged up battery needs to be fitted but a bit hindered by the above.

Otherwise it's all gravy.

It's an R reg. There was a for sale thread on here somewhere that shows piccies.

Cheers Mo. 

A well known shitter is communicating with me and is contemplating a swap but I am torn in all honesty.

It's a saloon version of a car I know quite well and is in classic territory but the plan for the Galaxy was to bugger off at weekends and car shows and so on. 

Am very conflicted. 

Make sure that the key goes all the way into the lock and that the plastic grill doesn’t foul the fob before the blade is fully home.

I have to push the mondeo grill in a fair bit to allow the key to turn.

This is an earlier version, so no keyhole behind the badge.

You pull the handle, the bonnet pops up a fraction, there is a black plastic pressy in thing that pops partially out from behind the grille. In theory, press this and the bonnet releases. It seems that a bit of WD40 should resolve this. 

So sez the internet,

Okay, I concede on the Caramac, it is God's gift to humankind.  Sadly Caramac doesn't link with a Ford based product in any way. I'm fairly certain there wasn't a Ford Caramac. There should have been.

No captains chair in this one, I am stunned it has electric front windows and electric door mirrors tbh. Told you it was pretty povo spec.

Less to go wrong I guess.

A mate of mine who is harmless and dull had a td galaxy , very dull and not harmless judging by the trail of burning oil smoke , has finally given up on it , something selectorie in the slush box went , last time I went in it it had just turned 560000 miles , they just don't last nowadays do they

I have an air mattress, a plastic storage thing with drawers for odds and sods, I also have additional interior lights. I would imagine that blackout stuff for windows and a gas canister cooker wouldn't go amiss. What else do people have in their weekend camper type shizzle? What do I need to obtain (within a reasonable budget) and given the space limitations. Any particular products recommended?

Some guys at work swear by the Jetboil stoves.

I looked on eBay and they are about £70.

Sod that. I don't care how fast or compact it is.

I bought a gas canister, a burner, a stand and a tin cup for less than £20.

Still waiting for it to arrive from China though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeLg3jL0cKs

I of course have ignored the non-opening bonnet and have bought the following essential items:

New passenger side cup holder.

Uncracked plastic light panel thingy that fits on the tail gate.

Replacement gear lever gaiter, cos old one worn and horrible. 

Next bit will be a drivers side mirror. 

I have a can of GT85 on standby.

Got to take measurements for new carpet in the rear.

those 'suitcase' gas cookers that use the aerosol sized cans are great..about 5 mins to boil a good old fashioned whistling kettle, and fairly stable too, unlike the old tripod camping stoves...also about £10 and £4 for 4 cans of gas...a can used to last weeks boiling a kettle....or 4 hours on max as a heater

I had a white Irish Galaxy, as seen here.

https://cazana.com/uk/car/JKZ2963

Was a very good car, It had the 1.9 VAG Lump, was pretty good on fuel too. Leccy Windows but not mirrors I believe. Drove alright, Had a weird issue with its gearbox, you could pull up at a junction, dip the clutch pedal to the floor and the car would still be in gear, it was fun, let me tell you! Trying to creep out was a mare!

But aside from that, it was a good car. Think when I scrapped it it had something like 306k on the clock, in the end the gearbox just caved in.

These must be the only Ford of that era that doesn't really seem to rot.

Our next door neighbours had a white R reg diesel they bought from some people over the road who'd had it from new. It had well over 200k on it when it shat its gearbox, so that does seem to be the weak link in these otherwise fairly bulletproof cars.