Glazing shite - weird and wonderful windows

rantingYoof

Crosley inspired approach to the rear window/C-pillar interface on the hardtop on the left too.  Always looked really off when they did the hardtops where the C pillar was thicker at the top than the bottom and all the bodylines were done with a ruler.

After eBaytat thread, which is often brilliant, think this is my favourite ever thread.

It's certainly, er, illuminating.

1930s glazing experiments were among the best, given the limitations of technology. Grummer's Aeroprofilée style was great if a little awkward. Here on Alfa and Renault bases.

post-3924-0-60076600-1527674361_thumb.jpg

post-3924-0-71157800-1527674338_thumb.jpg

Less well known is this Dutch effort from Vesters & Neirinck on a Lancia DiLambda

post-3924-0-07398500-1527674436_thumb.jpg

post-3924-0-95831000-1527674501_thumb.jpg

That giant Heuliez double decker greenhouse , made me wonder about the lack of modesty for female passengers, which reminded me of these things.post-17414-0-71131300-1527680438_thumb.jpeg

They are everywhere around Honolulu and almost without fail one will pull up next to you in traffic. Again almost without fail as you innocently glance to your left you will stare straight into someone's crotch just as they ( or their husband,father etc) look down at you. It got to the stage. I would stare straight ahead like a psycho at all red lights.

And here's its even more classy glassy sibling :

Ah.. a solar person oven! I wonder why it never caught on.

As I mentioned in my historic shite thread, I was very surprised that the pre-facelift J5-van had opening quarterlights.. this on a late-1990 vehicle. Was this the last vehicle to have opening quarterlights? I miss them a lot.

Have we got to six pages without a mention of Jean-Henri Labourdette's Vutotal system? Labourdette was obsessed with the idea of doing away with window pillars completely and invented the patented Vutotal system using extra thick glass. Most often seen on open cars but occasionally applied to coupés. In these instances, the side windows had no frames of any kind - the two pieces of glass simply intersected on two different plains. Imagine the tolerances needed to get these things to stay watertight! (nb, I imagine they were never actually watertight).

Seen here on the most desirable car of all time and the one I would be re-creating if I won the lottery, the Jean Andreau-styled aerodynamic Delage V12 Le Mans challenger. It never raced in this form and the body was subsequently removed and destroyed.

post-3924-0-68712300-1527684934_thumb.jpg

post-3924-0-80233800-1527684948_thumb.jpg

Letourneur & Marchand built a few cars using the Vutotal patent, too. This is a slightly toned-down Delage D6 obviously influenced by the Andreau car but using some cues from the L&M Aerosport cars. This one is lost, too, as far as I know.

post-3924-0-69983600-1527685037_thumb.jpg

The Shite descendent of all this is probably the Sunbeam-Talbot with its frameless rear window edge, which can be traced to the Talbot 10 and before that the Hillman Aero Minx Cresta, which was almost certainly a direct copy of Vutotal ideas

post-3924-0-22994200-1527685562_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Agreed, @rantingYoof . It looks preety oppressive for children sitting in the rear. Nice to look out of the side windows occasionally rather than be hypnotised by screens.

I was watching a road test on the current Suzuki Swift and, while it looks OK from the outside, there was a lot of plastic around the rear glass that also appeared to make it a pain for kids to see out of.

13 hours ago, jmsguzzi said:

The new Mazda3 is ridiculous, my Dad was looking at the previous gen when in the market and they felt claustrophobic so this one will be even worse. Mind you the saloon version looks way better and I’m not usually a fan of snatchbacks..

7745E5C6-D240-4C67-AD8D-46A2CB6B88B0.jpeg

I don't quite get how we can have safety regulations & safety testing galore but it's ok to make cars you can't actually see out of properly?