VW PASSAT 1.9TDi

Jim Bell

Interesting, what year did the PDs come in then? I’m looking at a A6 TDi and obviously id want to veg it.

At different times on different cars I guess. If Im reading wiki right A6s were using PDs (01/98-04/01). I may be reading wrong though.

VE stuff rocks.

My Golf in SDI flavour has the VE pump and the same block as the legendary ALH lumps but without the turbo, no DMF either. They're a very simple thing indeed with lots of space to work...

26583951637_2f0c3d4d49_b.jpg

Last year I spotted an (AQM) SDI Octavia go through Ebay with 514,000 miles clocked up that was described as still running well with MOT... Even with the stress of a turbo the VE engines regularly see 300k+, but without one and in SDI format they're virtually indestructible :shock:

From what Im reading on the internet the afn isnt obd mapable.

, its chip out only, which sounds a bit more frightening to be honest.

(Semi) Proffessional advice would be a good start though, could you pm me some contact info man?

Some are, depends on year. You can find out by looking at the ecu which lives in a box on the drivers side scuttle, or if you have or can borrow a VCDS it will give you the ecu part number when you connect to it.

The older 100-shape A6 is fine, only the very earliest newer shape A6 1.9s are veg friendly.

This Passat looks canny, dibs on roffle/resale.

The one I’m looking at is a 1999 model so I’m guessing too new.

VE stuff rocks.

My Golf in SDI flavour has the VE pump and the same block as the legendary ALH lumps but without the turbo, no DMF either. They're a very simple thing indeed with lots of space to work...

26583951637_2f0c3d4d49_b.jpg

Last year I spotted an (AQM) SDI Octavia go through Ebay with 514,000 miles clocked up that was described as still running well with MOT... Even with the stress of a turbo the VE engines regularly see 300k+, but without one and in SDI format they're virtually indestructible :shock:

Whilst that is impressive mileage, picloting a VAG SDI for 500k is going to be a chore of equal fun* to that of the person who babysits Pete Doherty in rehab, ensuring he stays clean, sensible and reflective.

WW - great to see that following putting it around on a massive scale, you've settled down a bit, and found a sensible keeper. Looks a gem, for sure.

Interesting, what year did the PDs come in then? I’m looking at a A6 TDi and obviously id want to veg it.

Quickest and easiest way to differentiate PD vs mechanical pump: PD has oil filler cap to flywheel end of camcover, the old 90/110 VE-pumped engines have them at the cambelt end.

The PDs are veg-able, just not as abuse-tolerant as what came before. If you're gonna run 70%+ veg then a fphe (£10-20 on ebay) and twin tank system will keep things sweet.

I managed to destroy an SDI engine at 118k.

Yikes... How?

Whilst that is impressive mileage, picloting a VAG SDI for 500k is going to be a chore of equal fun* to that of the person who babysits Pete Doherty in rehab, ensuring he stays clean, sensible and reflective.

Yes, fun factor= nil and 500k in one would be pretty grim, but think of the savings made <_<

Possibly, but it might be one of the last VE TDI ones. Run the reg through Total Car Check, it'll tell you the PS, 110 is what you want.

Yikes... How?

Yes, fun factor= nil and 500k in one would be pretty grim, but think of the savings made <_<

Years of neglect I think, I had been changing the oil in my Inca but the bottom end of the engine gave up. SDIs are fine if you're not in a hurry and one of the simplest modern engines you can find.

Possibly, but it might be one of the last VE TDI ones. Run the reg through Total Car Check, it'll tell you the PS, 110 is what you want.

It doesn’t really say anything.. (sorry for the thread hijack!) it’s a mysterious non runner so I may just give it a massive swerve anyway.

post-388-0-04794600-1527671476_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...