VW PASSAT 1.9TDi

Jim Bell

I always thought they were 90, 110 & 130.

All silver tdi - 90

Silver tdi red i - 110

Silver t red di - 130

Not sure if any way to check.

We still have some old insurance Docs here for the Passat and as I thought it is listed as the 110 TDI, SE spec too! sims00 replaced the TDI badge I noticed since we sold it as the Red had faded it from the sun. Good Work my Grandad would approve.  :-)

Ours is great. I wish it had a sixth gear, 5th on the motorway and the engine note is intrusive. The front suspension can be a PITA - so much so some mechanics will pass on the work. What out for the tailgate - they rot like a banana.

I always thought they were 90, 110 & 130.

All silver tdi - 90

Silver td red i - 110

Silver t red di - 130

Not sure if any way to check.

Early b5 were 90 and 110, even early sport was 110. Later b5 came along and we had the 90, 110, and 115 sport. B5.5 pd were 100, 115, 130

Yeah its definitely 110. Feels easy to drive off boost but theres power there if you press for it. Ideal for me really as I like ecconomical beans where possible.

Sims did indeed replace the boot badges, and the shift gaiter and probably a lot of other stuff to keep the car looking clean and bright. I know people say shit like this all the time but getting into it just felt to me like getting into a new car (though from the past). This may be because Ive been driving dirty old shoes of late but Im sure its mainly because Mr Burnsides grandad took such good care of it. The car really is a testiment to him and is an example of the difference in attitude between that generation and the modern disposable 3 year lease brigade.

He looked after it and if he could have done that longer, or forever, Im sure he would have.

Well done that man. Autoshite salutes you.

Introduced the missus to the car today. Took her out for ice cream down on the North Sea coast (i.e. the end of the street)

post-5435-0-47516300-1527342950_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-65111300-1527343027_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-35508400-1527343051_thumb.jpg

Very oddly for something Ive purchased, the missus loves it.

She wouldnt believe how old it is and has asked to borrow it to take all her stock to this years Yarndale .

The dog hasnt been in the back yet but its a thumbs up from two thirds of the family.

One thing Ive found already, is that when you park a Passat, theres a 73% chance that itll be next to another Passat.

post-5435-0-71783200-1527343604_thumb.jpg

Yeah its definitely 110. Feels easy to drive off boost but theres power there if you press for it. Ideal for me really as I like ecconomical beans where possible.

Sims did indeed replace the boot badges, and the shift gaiter and probably a lot of other stuff to keep the car looking clean and bright. I know people say shit like this all the time but getting into it just felt to me like getting into a new car (though from the past). This may be because Ive been driving dirty old shoes of late but Im sure its mainly because Mr Burnsides grandad took such good care of it. The car really is a testiment to him and is an example of the difference in attitude between that generation and the modern disposable 3 year lease brigade.

He looked after it and if he could have done that longer, or forever, Im sure he would have.

Well done that man. Autoshite salutes you.

That's really kind of you to say, my Grandad would definitely approve of Autoshite. He certainly of the mend and make do attitude rather than just upgrade to keep up with the Jones etc.

As I've mentioned before when my Mum was a kid he owned 3 Vauxhall PA Cresta's and he did an engine swap on one by himself using my mum and aunties swings as a hoist. 

The engine swap went well but the swings were toast !

Great to see pictures of this being enjoyed today too down the Sea Side, just what my Grandad and myself wanted and bonus too that your other half approves. 

He always said to me to take care when driving it as it "shifts" but this car feels great to just potter along in, though it seam's to have plenty enough poke if needed.

Happy Motoring and thanks again to Autoshite for being Autoshite.

The rear end

Lovely clean load cover.

post-5435-0-34228500-1527349375_thumb.jpg

Loads of room.

post-5435-0-54694200-1527349456_thumb.jpg

Because I'm a bit of a pervert that way, Ive repurposed the boot liner from my dads Zafira. I was gouig to buy a new one but this one fits near enough so will do the job well enough.

post-5435-0-17467000-1527349563_thumb.jpg

Now I really must sort out some rear headrests. Looks weird without them.

post-5435-0-04544700-1527349632_thumb.jpg

Some general fannying today. Cleaned the car (again) and raised the AS colours on the good ship Passat.

post-5435-0-26975700-1527430690_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-23495200-1527430759_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-76163300-1527430783_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-83061400-1527430806_thumb.jpg

The mirror glass is the passenger side mirror was loose and not responding to electrical commands.

Had a look in it and the crimps had popped off the tabs and one of the ball joint locator arm things looks borken.

post-5435-0-91549200-1527431013_thumb.jpg

I crimped up the contacts a bit better and tried to relocate the glass on its balls/pegs. Didnt have great success but pushed it back together as best as it would go so I can see behind. Replacement wing mirror to be sourced and fitted somewhere down the line.

post-5435-0-83853600-1527431195_thumb.jpg

Had a drive out in the sun and love the car even more than I did yesterday.

Introduced the missus to the car today. Took her out for ice cream down on the North Sea coast (i.e. the end of the street)

attachicon.gif20180526_124126.jpg

attachicon.gif20180526_124053.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180526_131724_168.jpg

Very oddly for something Ive purchased, the missus loves it.

She wouldnt believe how old it is and has asked to borrow it to take all her stock to this years Yarndale .

The dog hasnt been in the back yet but its a thumbs up from two thirds of the family.

One thing Ive found already, is that when you park a Passat, theres a 73% chance that itll be next to another Passat.

attachicon.gif20180526_135522.jpg

That is the best spot of EVER. As S959VAK was a faithful servant of mine for a good couple of years and many many k’s. Glad it’s still soldering on. Will dig a pic out soon for 100% confirmation.

Also gash wheels and lights NOTHING to do with me.

That is the best spot of EVER. As S959VAK was a faithful servant of mine for a good couple of years and many many k’s. Glad it’s still soldering on. Will dig a pic out soon for 100% confirmation.

Also gash wheels and lights NOTHING to do with me.

Ha! What are the odds man?!

Small world eh?

I had a saloon one in that colour, gave £200 for it sans MOT but one was literally written or for it as a bit of a debt to the guy selling so all in for £250.

It had, for at least ten years been run almost solely on red Derv, so much so that when I ran out on white the glow plug lamp flashed and it went into a bit of a limp mode now and again. I ran out back on red after a few months and all was well.

It had been remapped and was incredible on fuel but also really fast, I've got a 110 Leon in standard form and it would have blown it to bits in a drag race*.

It actually handled really well and was mega comfy with the only let down being it was a total dog in every other way, battered and bruised, stank of fags, loads of electrical issues plus a bad battery drain, I think a few window regs went on it in the end.

It was a proper garage owners car, worked but wasn't a nice place to be although as rough as it was it never broke down or failed to make a journey, did loads of (probably) illegal towing with a dolly in it and it never got phased.

A nice one like that in estate format is a car for life, a remap will actually at economy and certainly improve performance, honestly vag shite gets a lot of criticism but it's like any other German car in my opinion, if it's serviced it will be fine,if it's had years and years of neglect it will be hard to get it back to a reliable standard.

The only cars I've ever owned that really don't suffer terribly from a lack of servicing are older Ford's and Jap stuff, they do seem to just soldier on.

I think you've had a great buy there.

I had one of these as my first “good” car when it was about 4 years old., I had the 20v turbo pez for about 3 years and loved it. The quality of the interior and all that was much better than most stuff out at the time . My wheel did fall off though so watch for that .

Mate of mine is remapping VAGs for a living out of his home, might be worth giving him a shout?

From what Im reading on the internet the afn isnt obd mapable.

, its chip out only, which sounds a bit more frightening to be honest.

(Semi) Proffessional advice would be a good start though, could you pm me some contact info man?