VW PASSAT 1.9TDi

Jim Bell

Last collection thread.............for a while, hopefully.

Im getting out of the roulette game, hanging up my spurs and packing in the horse trading. Im settling down with a nice middle aged European with a big arse.

Today, our mystery prize in the middle ish of the country and will be attended by train and bus and train and another train.

Prace bets naow!

Your hints are MUNDANE and PRE MILLENIUM (JUST).

I'm mad for "plain"or salt flavour crisps lately. Still can't beat a good pack of tescozzzzz bacon rashers though but must be own brand. Have at least 1 litre of water handy afterwards though, V.Salty.

.... Good thing, travelling by train, we have only this 'thread derailment'!

I'm mad for "plain"or salt flavour crisps lately. Still can't beat a good pack of tescozzzzz bacon rashers though but must be own brand. Have at least 1 litre of water handy afterwards though, V.Salty.

i try to east at least 1 bag aday... have i got a problem

oh and u collecting a skoda superb estate?

Lets see what Honest John thinks:

What's good:

Trim lasts well (much better than in earlier models).

Properly looked after, these cars can stay looking new for years.

Excellent economy from TDI 90 and 110 - many owners will better 50 mpg.

Comparatively good performance in NCAP crash tests.

Fourth most reliable car in 2001 Fleet News Survey of 620,000 fleet cars mostly under 3 years old.

Whats not so good:

Went back to overhanging engine design.

Steering a bit too light, especially on motorways. Vague feeling can be partially cured by fitting aftermarket Bilstein dampers.

Imprecise gearshift.

Hasn't lived up to its quality promise. Since 1997, Ford Mondeos have been far more reliable. Yet perceived quality still leads to high residuals making them expensive used buys until they hit high mileages.

Poor AM radio reception.

Came lower than Mondeo and Freelander in 'R' reg J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Survey. 1998-2000 petrol and diesels average for breakdowns and faults, poor for problems. Very poor individual model score in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 198 v/s lowest 31.93).

And more:

Alarming number of build-quality faults and problems, such as leaks from screen area, leaves block plenum chamber drains, under-dash rattles, seatbelts failing to free-reel, rear shock absorbers failing.

Front door lock barrels of 1997 - 1998 Passats can be prised out with a screwdriver and the doors opened without activating the microwave alarm.

Plenum chamber drains block (especially the hard to clear one one under the battery) and seals fail allowing water ingress which can lead to electrical and electronic failures and eventually collects in rear footwell. Check very carefully for signs of water leaks (feel footwell carpets for damp). May be a structural leak, may be a blocked ventilation plenum chamber drain, or may be because the a/c condenser drain pipe is blocked leading to water being dumped into the footwell. Very important to clear plenum chamber drains of leaves as water damage to the ECU can wreck the engine. Apparently this water can be drawn into the brake servo and causes corrosion to the servo housing and brake master cylinder that can result in reduced brake force or failure altogether.