Strange Desires: Hindustan Ambassador/DAF/FSO/Polski Fiat, blahblahblah

Urban_Paranoia

For some reason, now that I’m over 50, my thoughts are turning to vehicles which - in my younger years - would have been the cause for much derision...

Hindustan Ambassador

DAF

FSO

Lada

Polski Fiat

Trabant

Wartburg

Etc

I can’t work out if it’s the onset of early dementia or a growing affection for the previously unloved corners of automotive transport.

On a serious note, I know that many of the above (and similar) have a big following nowadays, so I’m not entirely alone. ;)

So...specifications:

•Cheap-ish

•Quirky

*A bit naff

•Not entirely water-soluble

•Fun to own*

•Preferably not a total basket case**

*This may not be possible.

**This may also not be possible.

I'm afraid all the ones listed are desirable classics for the mainstream collectors and have thus long since left Autoshite territory.

It's because all those over 50s are suddenly hankering after them thinking it would make them appear somewhat strange.

The real underdogs of the Cold War era are from the exact opposite of the spectrum - posh Western saloons.

Those are avoided like the clap, so that would be the truly strange desire.

•Cheap-ish

•Quirky

*A bit naff

•Not entirely water-soluble

•Fun to own*

•Preferably not a total basket case**

*This may not be possible.

**This may also not be possible.

DAFs tick all those boxes.

They're still the cheapest possible way into 1970s motoring, and I really don't understand why. They're well-built, nice to drive and easy to fix with excellent spares support.

Instead of the popular Hindustan Ambassador, get yourself a highly undesireable and much rarer Austin Ambassador.  Derision is guaranteed.  They are never expensive, definitely quirky, absolutely a bit naff, surprisingly rot resistant, can be fun to own (they handle better than you'd expect), and there are examples out there that aren't total basket cases.  Don't get the older Princess, though, they're gaining in popularity and price in a way the Ambassador - an ostensibly better car in every regard - just isn't.

Tidy Ladas & FSOs are now commanding silly money, same goes for Skoda Estelles, Yugos aren't though, and I had great fun driving a Yugo 45A that had barely 15,000 miles on and was mint.and didn't cost the owner very much at all

Lada Samara and Skoda Favorit are still cheapish and early versions of both are still very Warsaw Pact. Also Yugo Sana, although finding one might be tricky. Yugo 45 is a good call, basically a Fiat 127 in a sharp suit.

These used to be everywhere in the West Midlands, a dealer called Swithland Motors was wealthy enough to blanket Central TV with ads for them. Then they all disappeared overnight in about 1994.

EDIT: forget all the above, just buy whatever shonky Dacia DW and Cats manage to drive back from the Balkans!!!

Yugo 45 is a good call, basically a Fiat 127 in a sharp suit.

Yugos are a bizarre mix of 127 and 128, both in terms of panels and in terms of running gear. Compared to their Italian relatives, they're (even more) poorly built and feel rather agricultural to drive, but there is a definitive "iron curtain" charm about them !