Peter C

Mercedes W124 200E - Rolling Resto - Discussing S-Class Mercs

Discovering this thread again brings back the memory of doing exactly the same stuffs on W124 I used to have.  Right down to sucking up the PAS fluid using tiny 3ml syringes.

1 hour ago, Danterzza said:

spacer.png

Come on W140's are fit as fuckity fuck fuck.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1180448

There are a couple of W140s on Auto Trader for sub £2k. As tempting as they are, I would rather not know how much investment they would need to make them useable and reliable.

The coupes look a bit like they are trying too hard IMHO. The saloons look real bruisers and must be super-comfortable. One or two round here - real presence. A 500 on LPG would be perfect. I prefer the saloons all round.

In 1980s serials and films, especially in American productions, a W126 was always seen as a status symbol.

294.thumb.jpg.8dfe013d532debfa3297cc5d1f4abda9.jpg

295.jpg.a3af154b6c577a60c247366ed3e4d39d.jpg

296.thumb.jpg.7a60251f47cb202f7f0e79c157a553e4.jpg

The lease on my Korean SUV is coming to an end within the next 11 months and for a new daily I am considering getting an S-Class Mercedes. As the car will be used all year round, I don't particularly want a mint example, something for £3-4k should be sufficient for my needs.

I would love a W126 300SE (the V8s are too juicy) and I would have bought one last month (£3k via Auto Trader, looked great) but it would have meant leaving it or the SUV standing for 11 months. I would also be up for a W140, again in 6 cylinder flavour. The later cars became infinitely more complicated. The W220, aside from being a rust bucket, has issues with the air suspension whilst the not that old W221, which are available from approx £4k, can be money pits due to complicated electrical issues. 

Decisions decisions. 

Yes. The 126 are very thirsty in V8 form. Nice but having run both I still think that the 124 is a nicer steer. 

But.. a full fat 126 500 or 560 is quite a lot of fun too. But then again a 124 24V is quite good too...

Decisions decisions...

Ahaa! My thread has arrived at last. 'S' class Mercs, my favourite subject.

I have had a variety of 116s in straight six and various V8s including a 450SEL 6,9, now that was thirsty!

126s are a better car, but not by that much, just newer and not so rusty. I LOVE the 126s, they are so classy and smooth, beautiflly well built, will last for ever if looked after to even a basic amount, I'd have another in a moment.

Get one.

xtriple, I am impressed that you had a 6.9. If it was good enough for James Hunt....

Years ago I had a W126 300SE, silver with black leather. Hang on, I’m going to find a photo of it...

8 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

20 years ago you could pick them up for a few hundred. Those were the days....

I did just that, I paid £400 for a tidy 300SE with a new MoT.

I had a 420 - £225; a 500 - £350; a 560 -£500...sigh. All MoT. But...they did drink petrol which made them expensive. I still have a 560SEC I bought in 2002 for £1500...I have the original invoice £56,000 in 1982...more than quite a lot of houses then.

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

20 years ago you could pick them up for a few hundred. Those were the days....

I bought an ex Libyan oil company ‘89 500sel for £500 in 2012- great machine and 800 for a 1993 500sel the same year. Those were the days!

I can’t find the pics of those but here are a couple I owned around the same time- I had my drive filled with about 6 at once at one point. the black 420SE was £750 And sold my 560sec on here for £200 (ok it was terminally rotten) but it had an mot and a (supposedly ) 300bhp 5.6 v8 sounds amazing but it was fucked. (Des bought it)

A7701DAB-3D07-4021-B1EB-4AFC69E5A3E9.png

DD076714-B923-4679-AF60-72866790E05E.png

That’s me chucking the ‘91 420 over a roundabout. Took it to Germany and cruised happily at 110mph and started in temps of -16. Lovely car.

8A80C938-9DCD-40E6-8088-F5426CB6116C.thumb.png.7c1bfcd5649c188ef93ae44451d28efc.png

A tidy W220 can be had for sub £2k.

291127B0-268B-476B-B830-FC189A842D2B.thumb.png.571caaa1d0c409dcb78747761fe0bbc9.png

Or for £4k you can have a W221.

Amazing levels of luxury for beer money but so much to go wrong and potentially very expensive to fix. Does anyone have experience of either model?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Zelandeth
      Well I've been meaning to sign up here in forever, but kept forgetting. Thanks to someone over on another forum I frequent poking me about it recently the subject was forced back into my very brief attention span for long enough to get me to act on the instruction.

I figure that my little varied fleet might bring you lot some amusement...

So...we've got:

1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate (now fuel injected, as I reckon the later cars should have been from the factory...).
      1989 Saab 900i Automatic.
      1987 Skoda 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.
      1985 Sinclair C5.
      2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.

Now getting the photos together has taken me far longer than I'd expected...so you're gonna get a couple of photos of each car for now, and I'll come back with some more information tomorrow when I've got a bit more time...

Firstly...The Lada. Before anyone asks - in response to the single question I get asked about this car: No, it is not for sale. Took me 13 years and my father's inheritance to find the thing.

Yes, it's got the usual rusty wings...Hoping that will be resolved in the next couple of months.

Next, a proper old Saab. One of the very last 8 valve cars apparently, and all the better for it. I've driven two 16v autos and they were horrible - the auto box works sooooo much better with the torque curve of the 8 valve engine. Just wish it had an overdrive for motorway cruising...

Next up a *real* Skoda...back when they put the engine where it belongs, right out the back. In the best possible colour of course...eye-searingly bright orange.

Seat covers have been added since that photo was taken as it suffers from the usual rotting seat cloth problem that affects virtually all Estelles.

Then we have possibly the world's scruffiest Sinclair C5...

Realised when looking for this that I really need to get some more photos of the thing...I use it often enough after all! We have a dog who's half husky, so this is a really good way of getting him some exercise.

Finally - again, I really need to take more photos of - we have the little Pug 107.

Included for the sake of variety even if it's a bit mainstream! First (and probably to be the only) new car I've bought, and has been a cracking little motor and has asked for very little in return for putting up with nearly three years of Oxford-Milton Keynes commuter traffic, before finally escaping that fate when my housemate moved to a new job. Now it doesn't do many miles and is my default car for "when I've managed to break everything else."

I'll fill in some more details tomorrow - I warn you though that I do tend to ramble...
    • By strangeangel
      I thought I'd start a thread for this as I'll probably end up asking all sorts of questions, given that this is my first 'proper' Citroën.

So... the ground clearance lever won't go all the way to the highest setting (all others work), which is bad 'cos the book says I need it to do that in order to check the LHM level. It feels like something's seized, so I don't want to force it. Any ideas for a plan of attack would be much appreciated.

Next up are the wheels. I now have a set of 205 pepperpots that have just gone off for powder coating & I need to get some tyres for them. The handbook says the car should have 165/70R14s on, the wheels came with 185/65R14 on. Any thoughts about what size I should get please? Cheers.

• By snagglepuss
      Didn't bother to do a collection thread as was a 30min drive so fairly boring.

Yesterday I won this

Which is effectively going to replace the civic and the xantia.

Picked car from a bodywork guy in foreign lands (Yorkshire).

First thoughts are that I think it has been sitting for a while but started straight up. Apart from service bits and potentially a cambelt everything seems to be good with it. Comes pre dented.

Current is differently abled tax so that will need to be changed.

Windscreen has small crack in passenger side.

Runs really cold, this is after 30 miles of motorway

Mind you it honks. Properly honks. Not as much as the focus I got from Shadow but not far off.

List of jobs

Oil change
      Spark plugs
      Air filter
      Thermostat
      Rear boot struts
      Front discs and pads
      Cam belt plus bits
      Ball joints
      Drop links
      Rear anti roll bar bushes
      Stereo code