The Shiters Quandry - Or what have you got for sale?

Stanky

Please help me.

Having released the Geep, I now have a space on the drive which I intend to fill with another vehicle, but I'm not sure where to begin on what to purchase. I have the shiters dilemma of grubby notes in hand, space on the drive and no idea what to do.

Provisional budget is £600, ideally to include buying and insuring/taxing it, though these could feasibly go on DD to spread the damage, and I want something that can offer thrills* that neither a cruise-o-matic Saab 9-3, nor a wizzy Toyota Yaris can offer. Ideally something that runs but I'm not aversed to a bit of work, though mechanical rather than bodywork is preferred.

I have looked as several 90s Japanese coupes, a LJKS-approved Honda Prelude, A Mazda MX-3 and a Toyota Paseo on the basis they are reasonably well wrought and reliable, and offer something to zoom around the lanes of Hampshire in. These are ok, but on presenting these as options to my wife, who has ultimate veto over the entire affair, suggested they looked a bit mid-life-crisis with me at the wheel. Those who've met me will understand, those who haven't think a fatter, balder Phil Mitchell and you're not really very far off.

So, she's said she'd prefer something more bonafide classic, but what to look at?

Having rooted through Ebay classic cars <50 miles from Stanky HQ and <£1000 and all this has highlighted is how lax some people's idea of what a 'classic' is. Car and Classic has a lot more offerings that would be likely to meet with domestic approval, but not at the price point I have in mind. Things that would potentially interest me seem to start at £2k or so on there, which is fair enough as what I've looked at seem to be well looked after. I suppose I'm after something a bit more down-at-heel which could be brought back up to a passable standard in my care.

Next, and possibly most importantly, until I get the garage sorted out (this will be a big job) the vehicle will live outside the front of Stanky towers, off the road on a block-paved drive. It will be boxed in 95% of the time so is reasonably secure but I have concerns about whether rust will set in if a 1960s - 1980s vehicle is stored in the elements rather than in a hermetically sealed, temperature controlled, security patrolled storage facility. Are my fears justified or am I talking tosh?

While I've no doubt that this thread may bring out offers of myriad vehicles from shiters, and this is most welcome, I'm having some difficulty nailing down what I might actually want to buy and own. Every vehicle purchase I've made has been on the basis of using the vehicle to do 10k+ miles a year as a general workhorse, and I've been lucky in this regard that almost all of the vehicles I've owned have been reliable, though I'm generally the final owner before the scrap man calleth. This vehicle would ideally be something thats not just a workhorse and could be used as a means in itself rather than just a way of getting from A to B in speed/comfort/reliablity.

A few ideas

1. A 1980s or 1990s Japanese sporty Coupe and deal with looking like another mid-life crisis loser. Prelude, MR2, MX5?

2. Something American, and therefore different. There are a few grim offerings around.

3. Something older, like a Morris Oxford or Triumph Herald or Reliant Scimitar? Would need decent-ish parts supply, though if its mechanically simple and a third car then whats there to lose?

4. Another kit car, but with a regi/V5 this time

5. Something else? I'm open to ideas. Are there any unmolested/undrifted Volvo 340s which aren't 105% rust by now? I liked the ones of those I had ~15 years ago?

I'd prefer to avoid the default options of MGB/Morris Minor/Triumph Spitfire but have no specific reasons to avoid them. My only experience with a MGB GT was that the seat wouldn't go back far enough. I'm 6' and 17 stone so worth bearing in mind I suppose. Also how do you find cars which people have put in the wrong category (inevitably "parts (other)" without having to wade through 11 billion pages of wheel bearings for mk1 Fiestas and handbrake cables for Anadol A8-16's?

I think CDC asked this exact question a while back, but is it possible to buy an MOT compliant example of an older car for less than £2k these days, or do I resign myself to a life of mundane motoring in end-of-life vehicles with no redeeming qualities and save my money for the inevitable trip to dignitas?

Sorry for the complete lack of structure to my requirements document. 1/10 for project management.

I know of a nightfire red MGF VVC that needs not very much to obtain an MOT. It's a 2000 year car so nicer interior. It's shod with good tyres and has had a replacement exhaust fitted. The VVC is huge fun and if you fit a 52mm throttle body (easy peasy)it makes you smile more.

Needs a new bonnet cable and door lock. Needs a suspension pump up for an MOT.

Cable is about 28 quid, door lock about the same and a pump up is 40 quid.

Engine sounds gorgeous and had the HG sorted an age ago and works happily. Also fits classic insurance.

£500 - located in North London

Threads like this tend to result in people just listing their own personal favourite cars, so in the spirit of that: have you considered a BX? Old and rare enough to be interesting/go on a classic insurance policy, but capable enough of daily use should you desire. All but the na diesels are an absolute hoot to drive - the best combination of ride and handling I've ever experienced. A well looked after turbo diesel will be quick enough to show most supposedly sporty stuff a clean pair of heels on the b-roads, too. Theyre aren't many for sale at this moment, but if you can be patient you can find a good one within budget.

Obvious barrett suggestion is obvious.

Various future-classic material has been vetoed already, despite my protests.

Something older is OK though, its just difficult to track down something suitable within the budget. Maybe its the time of year, or I just want the moon on a stick.

No idea why you would want a 340. A Triumph Acclaim is what you need.

Japanese reliability. £2k will get a rot free, low mileage example

Drives 100 x better than those Dutch built Renault engined heaps of disappointment! All the *fun* of a Volvo but with added French *reliability*. Had two 340s many years ago so I speak from experience!