The second best thing out of Sweden.. I really hate exhausts

Simonsays

as much as I admire the shite hero status of this - it’s expensive and really kicks your credit rating in the balls

Sorry for thread drift but why does it? Surely if its paid back in full asap it shouldn't make any difference whatsoever to your rating??

Sorry for thread drift but why does it? Surely if its paid back in full asap it shouldn't make any difference whatsoever to your rating??

Because credit rating companies think that, if you get cash from your credit card, you must be in desperate need for money, indicating that you have financial issues. At least that's what I read.

Volvo V40 Classic S with a misery spec 1.6 litre engine. Comes with a full ticket listing a single advisory for a rusty back box.

Sporting 150k the engine runs smooth as. Manual gearchange is good and it actually has 4 matching Michelin crossclimate tyres with actual tread on them.

It probably needs a front wheel bearing sooner than later and the front pads and discs are approaching the end of their useful life.

The head unit looks basic but sounds great. There's a built in sub in the boot.

All the electrics work. Even the air con!

post-25855-0-81402100-1526648103_thumb.jpg

post-25855-0-58194700-1526648130_thumb.jpg

post-25855-0-16106700-1526648156_thumb.jpg

Lolvo V40 Classic S with a misery spec 1.6 litre engine. Comes with a full ticket listing a single advisory for a rusty back box.

Sporting 150k the engine runs smooth as. Manual gearchange is good and it actually has 4 matching mitchelin crossclimate tyres with actual tread on them.

It probably needs a front wheel bearing sooner than later and the front pads and discs are approaching the end of their useful life.

The head unit looks basic but sounds great. There's a built in sub in the boot.

All the electrics work. Even the air con!

Not bad that.

Why do you drive to the republic for a cash machine then?

Place isn't that small jumkman! However Halifax branches have closed all over the province... in fact hundreds of various branches have shut..

On the day in question I travelled from moira to lisburn, to find the branch closed, so either I had to go to Belfast city centre, and deal with traffic and parking, or double back from lisburn and head to lurgan!!

To qualify for Lolvo status, it needs to have turbochargers or a massive engine or both. That, my friend, is a Volvo, but none the worse for that. Looks tidy!

Edit: although get it checked out for rust, it looks like it's had a lot of corrosion in the past. They wouldn't be the first dealer to put it through an MOT and have previous corrosion issues mysteriously disappear. There may be unpleasantness hiding, although I hope not!

To qualify for Lolvo status, it needs to have turbochargers or a massive engine or both. That, my friend, is a Volvo, but none the worse for that. Looks tidy!Edit: although get it checked out for rust, it looks like it's had a lot of corrosion in the past. They wouldn't be the first dealer to put it through an MOT and have previous corrosion issues mysteriously disappear. There may be unpleasantness hiding, although I hope not!

You're right there mind. Not too many lol's to be had in this!

It's going up in the air soon to have pads and discs done. It'll get a proper once over then. If it lasts a year I'll be happy...

Anybody that uses dashboard silicone spray needs to have their head hacksawed off.

It took me and the laddo about an hour to remove the stuff with multiple applications of warm soapy water and general purpose cleaner. 6 microfibre clothes and half a kitchen roll.

Its now a very nice place to sit, the seats are a bit of a revelation. I think most people who drive modern cars (including me) dont realise that their seats are basically shit. The well worn volvo has the most supportive and comfy seats I've ever experienced.

Tyres inflated to correct psi today for added safety.

Top buying skills.  I think these V40s are excellent.  I have had two, a diesel and a petrol, although the petrol was the 2 litre.  The cup holder problem can be easily solved.  The first one I had did not have cup holders by the handbrake but they were an option.  If you go on ebay and keep looking a cup holder handbrake surround will come up.  Then you simply undo a few screws and change them over.  Have a look at ebay item number 323250024614.

Top buying skills.  I think these V40s are excellent.  I have had two, a diesel and a petrol, although the petrol was the 2 litre.  The cup holder problem can be easily solved.  The first one I had did not have cup holders by the handbrake but they were an option.  If you go on ebay and keep looking a cup holder handbrake surround will come up.  Then you simply undo a few screws and change them over.  Have a look at ebay item number 323250024614.

That has made my day!

Thanks for the tip off, I've bought it.

Last time (only time) I bought a car registered disabled I had to rush to a post office in Swindon at 1645.

Hadn't ever been there before.

Even tackled the 'formidable' roundabout whilst in a blind rush.

Fun and games right?

No sir, cross the word disabled out with black pen and write the correct tax class. Fill out the logbook as you would normally and send off to the DVLA. Taxing at the post office when changing tax class from disabled to normal (you won’t be able to do this online) they’ll take the log book from you there and then and send off for you - they normally have a pile of them that go off from the post office (envelope and stamp not required)

Done many a time I bought a Toyota Yaris Verso!...

Because credit rating companies think that, if you get cash from your credit card, you must be in desperate need for money, indicating that you have financial issues. At least that's what I read.

Yep this is the thing. Also it's really expensive because they charge interest from the withdrawal rather than from the next statement. Don't do it, to the point you might almost be better off taking out a whole separate bank loan.

Ive counted the cupholders.

Zero.

Wtf am I meant to do with my McCoffee?

Never noticed that on the testdrive.

Under the slidey thing by the handbrake innit? I had an earlier one, with the vulgar always on display cup holders.

Lovely things *40s. Completely devoid of any character, but comfortable, competent, and solid. Clear winner of the which-of-the-cars-I've-owned-would-I-prefer-to-have-an-accident-in award.

The built in parking ticket clip is worth every penny of whatever you paid for this.

Brakes.

I have them.

Shiny discs and pads on each corner. I'd toyed with the idea of DIY but am so glad I didn't. All the caliper bolts and slide pins were well stuck. I was early to collect it from the garage and my friendly mechanic was having to give it some serious welly to get the last one off.

I'm happy that the car has had in independent once over. No serious rot although it does need a new middle section of exhaust. What i thought was wheel bearing noise was apparently a sticking caliper.

Happy days.

Done nearly 300 miles in this since picking it up. My modern is sitting unloved on the drive. New brakes have bedded in nicely.

Things to do as and when money becomes available.

1 I think I'm missing an exhaust hanger somewhere as it rattles a bit.

2 I'd like to replace the drivers seatbelt as its starting to fray a bit. Looks to be reasonably easy to do and about £50 from a breakers

3 Just noticed a crack in a rear light cluster. Already priced at about £17 on eBay

4 Service. Have all the bits, just lacking the time

5 Clutch? Doubt it.. it's not slipping so I can live with it for a while

6 Timing belt. Ummm... Dunno. I took a punt on a car with no service history here. It might never have been done, it might have been done 10K miles ago. The car came with matching decent quality tyres so someone has at least tried looking after it recently.

Parking ticket holders.

Have always broken within months of me buying a vehicle. Which is weird, because usually I look after my stuff. Are they all flimsy? Or am I doing them wrong?

Mine - on 2 C5s - have never given any trouble, had the most recent one for six years (2013 vintage).

Parking ticket holders.

Have always broken within months of me buying a vehicle. Which is weird, because usually I look after my stuff. Are they all flimsy? Or am I doing them wrong?

Press the ticket against screen and slide behind clip. Removal is ditto. Don't try and flex the clip because it is old, uv degraded and brittle.

Bodge is in place.

A layer of holts paste

One of those jubilee clip thingies

A bandage

Some wire

More paste on top.

Seems to have gone off nicely and is much quieter than before.

I've added 'car park attendance' to my list of jobs. I have the urge to deploy my ticket holder