barefoot

Barefoot's Rover 75 update

That looks a lovely place to be. In mileage terms you'll be fine up to 90,000 on a KV6, but not in time terms - still every 6 years.

I think most people recommend Lates 600 http://www.lates600.com/ in Rugby off the MG-R forum for reasonably priced belt changes, or possibly the guys at MG Mobile Mechanics in Derby http://www.mg-rovermobilemechanics.com/, although the latter are fully booked up until September last I heard...and that was two months ago.

...and breakdown #75

Just pottering to Loughborough, M1, A512 all good and then about 200 yards short of Sainsbury's the bloody temperature gauge warning light popped on with the dial vertical. About 30 seconds later I was switched off in the car park and on the phone to the nice recovery folk. There was apparently no mayo, just a few splashes of water and nothing left in the header tank. looks to me like a split hose. So, I completed my shopping  and had it recovered to my friendly mechanic, which is where it is now - in disgrace. No photos because I don't have a suitable phone. TBH the car has done less than a thousand miles in the last year, things like this are to be expected are they not? At least the wife wasn't driving it, and it wasn't raining.

Not the end of the world, it will be fine I'm sure. They can be a pain to bleed I hear.

I had a split hose on my last collection, 100 miles from home in the middle of the night.

Waited 4 hours for the AA.

4 hours ago, Mally said:

Not the end of the world, it will be fine I'm sure. They can be a pain to bleed I hear.

I had a split hose on my last collection, 100 miles from home in the middle of the night.

Waited 4 hours for the AA.

There was a time when I used to carry a roll of self-amalgamating tape in my collection mission toolkit, after two split hoses in quick succession.

Long overdue update - It turns out that the split hose was not in fact a split hose, but the expansion tank blowing off as the engine got a bit hot. The engine had warmed up because the water pump had sprung a leak. My usual man with the spanners is booked up for a bit, so I have arranged with another local garage, one that I've been keen to develop a relationship with for a while, to have the belts, water pump & idlers changed on Monday. It's not like it's a surprise to me, I knew that the belts had never been changed in 17 years....

I have finally added a new & rather welcome sticker underneath the bonnet of my new 75.

P1140515.thumb.JPG.5164f99bdb4bec72a060e3cb5f43a1a3.JPG

I've had all four belts changed along with all of the rollers/idlers and a new (non leaking) waterpump. Seventeen years/65,000 miles eh? Full bloody history apart from the belts, what goes through some folk's heads? I've also sorted the satellite telly so that it now speaks English instead of German. This is not a Brexit related action, it just makes things easier for me. I've also found a chap who will repair all the dodgy missing lines in the dash display for just £25 plus the postage. That can wait for a week or so, I've really done little more than potter back from the garage, but tomorrow, I'll take it for a nice 20 odd mile clatter, push the sports button, hold the pedal down a bit and see what sort of interesting noises it will make.

I R Xite...

I've been for a right entertaining drive around. Lots of shifter movement and lots of holding the pedal down. It makes some nice noises, but it doesn't seem rapid, just a bit brisk, a nice sense of urgency from time to time. Now that the dash display is back in English, I can see that I've done 40 odd miles at an average speed of 18 mph - I went into Loughborough on market day - but - I've achieved 30.3 mpg's! I know that there's nothing like a pen & paper and proper maths, but that's quite impressive. I bought some contact cleaner, removed the cover in the boot and am faced with these.

P1140517.thumb.JPG.6ca3d85113d3dba38083ba7dd23836b3.JPG

This one, above, on the left as you look in from the back makes a curious whirring sound!

P1140518.thumb.JPG.7b34ac3f9b34a9cb3a71cdfa97151675.JPG

Any idea which one is the radio and which is the telly?  And does this look like it will benefit from a bit of a clean up - I'm thinking remove the units, then the leaves, a bit of a polish up with a rag, remove the block connectors, a bit of a spray, possible tooth brush action, a bit of a wait to dry and then reassemble?

Or is there more to it than that?

Advice as always, more than welcome.

On 7/10/2019 at 2:44 PM, wuvvum said:

I think I have a spare radio receiver somewhere which I could send you.  Assume you've checked all the wiring to the existing unit (in the spare wheel well) is OK?

I hope that you still have it. A detailed trawl through the masses of paperwork revealed this little gem from 8.6.2011; 

"Checked radio, there is a fault with the radio itself and we are unable to resolve the problem, may need a new radio"

I am more than happy to send you whatever quantity of beer tokens you consider adequate.

Update; The digital display on the dash had a few missing lines, so I've sent that away to be magically restored, which leaves the car looking a bit sad.

P1140521.thumb.JPG.8be81013536194ff8ce2b417e80928e1.JPG

When this is returned & re-installed I've found a couple of auto electricians/ICE installers who seem happy to sort the non functioning & mindlessly complex radio out. I was just grumbling about it looking unloved, when I spotted the NSR tyre had gone flat.

P1140522.thumb.JPG.27ef7971bc041176b53724fa2589662d.JPG

There was a great big nail in it, so it's not too much of a surprise, just an irritant. There's no point me having it repaired because I'd always planned to put new all season tyres on for the fair wife to use it as a winter car, it just means I have to buy them a bit earlier than planned.

And then finally there's this,

P1140520.thumb.JPG.7b8d443501cd94ac290a395088bc5650.JPG

How,, in the name of sanity can you break this by slamming a glass window onto it? If I knew what it was called, I'd try to find a replacement.

As soon as I get these last things sorted, the Vel Satis will finally be up for raffle again.

Tyres arrived, faulty dash sorted, manky wiper bit on tailgate identified & ordered, just the radio to do and then, like the biggest twat on the planet, I take the T2 out into the street, pop the top, fit the new sparkly beady curtains, because that's where I'm at, the finishing touches stage. And then I put it back on the drive - under the car port without putting the roof back down again.

It is fucked, cracked like an eggshell. No chance of repairing it satisfactorily - insurance has bee contacted and a claim is under way - I am not happy, and the fair wife is not speaking to me. Enjoy some entertaining photographs to see just how fragile the fucker is. Split to beyond the first transverse bracing thing, the window/skylight has been dislodged & I've bent the strut that holds it up. Photographs sent direct to Dormobile, just waiting on an estimate & we'll have the roof/bellows/struts/headlining/windows & mirrors replaced.

I am a complete twat.

P1140537.thumb.JPG.6f6efc9f74f00e8e27bcf15adb4a9c3c.JPG

P1140538.thumb.JPG.6474abe7de87bcc59fee1c9bdbbc8998.JPG

P1140530.thumb.JPG.cc67727b4a3321b87e58355d30b4bac2.JPG

P1140534.thumb.JPG.283890743097cc178cae643bc8483c5d.JPG

P1140539.thumb.JPG.f3125d7b78908ad22307337b5cbb8580.JPG

P1140540.thumb.JPG.177e5a5a2fb8d84d774b51a2607c019c.JPG

P1140541.thumb.JPG.8ffe572f76d86354ce473998b4a22fcb.JPG

P1140542.thumb.JPG.0e635af2018b2a66ee7c8a2a935fcb7c.JPG

P1140543.thumb.JPG.c759735f2cd975ec1903cee68ab723e7.JPG

Fucked!

... a mate of mine repared a much more demolished on one side pop top on a t2; owners father in law drove it in under a 'lean to'; my mate first made a wooden frame  as a base  to work from then jigsaw assembled / glassed in all the picked up pieces back together n when it was resprayed you'd never know it'd happened n it fitted perfectly....

What a bummer.

However, as has been pointed out already it can all be fixed so you would never know anything had happened to it. GRP may be responsible for many of the World's automotive monstrosities but one thing it has on its side is that it is a piece of piss to work with. I particularly like the pom pom pom* noise you make in your head when you are stippling resin and mat into complicated shapes.

*That's the pom pom pom noise that part-time vet's assistant Harris used to make at teatime on Saturdays when he was creating something with a four inch paint brush. Other less handsy references are available.

15 hours ago, cobblers said:

I repaired an MX5 hardtop that had an engine dropped through it, you could climb through the hole. £40 of fibreglass and some time later and it was pretty much perfect.

I can't imagine itd be easy to find an engine crane that could get an engine high enough to drop through the camper roof so maybe just miss step one and follow all other steps. 

Update...

I interviewed a couple of local boat builders, (we're practically on top of the Trent Junction here), and I have to say that they lacked enthusiasm, so I am following the insurance route. I sent photographs & an estimate (from Dormobile) to the underwriters who have confirmed receipt and sent written permission for me to effect a temporary repair. It has therefore been temporarily fixed, and looks just as pretty as a split Dormobile roof possibly can, when it's been mackle'd back together with a series of riveted on steel plates, a great wob of mastic & finally a coat of paint that looks like its been applied with a yard brush. None the less, it is watertight* and just as strong as when it left the factory. I couldn't bring myself to take any photographs, you'll have to wait until I've had a bit of a drink in it at Camper Calling festival this weekend. You will probably weep a bit like what I have been doing.

After a month spent sulking, an update.

Just a week after driving into my car port, I received approval from the insurance to make temporary repairs. Pop rivets, steel plates and mastic were employed to effect a repair that was all* but invisible. Off on our jolly holidays for a fortnight during which I didn't bother chasing the insurance, back last week, chased then up and the repair has been approved. Cap £800, struts £450, Labour £1440 and transport down to Dormobile & back £900!

In other exciting news, the radio works again in the Rover 75. Trivial to some of you, but I bought this as a winter beater to replace the Vel Satis and to keep the 944 off the road. The fair wife won't spend hours on her commute without a proper working radio. I also felt that it was a little bit of a slug. It's supposed to be 180 bhp and it's a heavy old car, but it was reluctant to kick down and could barely be persuaded to rev to 5,000 rpm when it did. There was a LOT of free play in the throttle cable which is no longer there. I also had the grey smelly ATF changed and now I can't feel it change ratios, but I can hear it howl at 6,500 rpm.

Was quite pleased with myself until the 944 lost all its coolant. Split hose presumably. I'll sort that out next week. 

CD's found in multi changer - shocker!

The service history reveals that the radio never worked whilst the previous owner erm, owned it, so the discs must have belonged to the original owner.  Gilbert & Sulivan's greatest hits, Iolanthe, Elvis love songs, Solid Gold Sixties hits and the complete back catelogue of Alfie fucking Boe!

Tells you something about the chap, I think.