barefoot

Barefoot T2 disaster!

I would recommend that anyone not familiar with butter pies stays that way.... Do not get acquainted. Unless you are seriously underweight or a Japanese wrestling type... They are addictive especially when warmed through in an oven.....

Occasionally served hot in a squashed barm cake. Just don't do it people.

Just say no.

Errr..

I'm glad you're liking it Dave. I really fell for the old bus during the month I was borrowing it. Once you get used to changing gear early, using the torque and slouching comfortably in the chairs it's such a relaxing car.

Will wasn't joking about the tyres though, be very very careful in the wet.

You also said that he drove like your elderly Aunt!

Update, the fair lady barefoot has expressed an interest is using this as her WBOD whislt her Porsche is repainted - a bit. We're off out for a spot of Woolarding with the inlaws in the morning. If she continues to be enthused, I'll cough up for a set of decent winter boots for it.

Popped down to my local friendly garage mate who likes French cars to give him a bit of a laugh...

He's never seen one before.

"is it a two litre turbo? I'll bet it's got those horrible pencil coils'

Off with the engine cover...

'That ones not even bolted in look'

'Oh someone's overtightened it, that should sort your missfire, if not bring it back I'll do it with chemical metal!'

The fair wife will be taking it for a drive at some point this week, if she likes it (a lot) - winter Nexens will be purchased.

And in other news, I found this on the interweb;

I want to get my n/s window opening and closing smoothly – I have to keep flicking switch to get it to work at present – and I will be needing it to work properly to pay all the tolls when I next go to France!

Has anyone had similar problems with their windows?

yep
usually you've had the battery off
just need re-programing
push it down until it the glass hits bottom
then back up to the top
when its at the top just press it up a few times so it can learn where top is
then press it down and sometimes you have to do the same as for up - i.e. press it down a few times when its at the bottom

then bingo it should work!

Is that really likely to resolve a comedy, jerky down in stages window?

(I've never owned a French car or a modern car before).

And in other news, I found this on the interweb;

I want to get my n/s window opening and closing smoothly – I have to keep flicking switch to get it to work at present – and I will be needing it to work properly to pay all the tolls when I next go to France!

Has anyone had similar problems with their windows?

yep

usually you've had the battery off

just need re-programing

push it down until it the glass hits bottom

then back up to the top

when its at the top just press it up a few times so it can learn where top is

then press it down and sometimes you have to do the same as for up - i.e. press it down a few times when its at the bottom

then bingo it should work!

Is that really likely to resolve a comedy, jerky down in stages window?

(I've never owned a French car or a modern car before).

Been done .. many many times. It isnt that. 

I have changed the cable, silicone sprayed the channels and greased the runners and it worked ok for 3 weeks. Then went back to being annoying! 

Good news about the misfire. I never even got that far. 

It's a WBOD it'll probably never have the windows wound down.

And it's never actually misfired, I only mentioned it to the bloke, so I guess it's a common problem.

He also said, 'Two litre Turbo? I bet it flies'.

And when the engine cover was removed, it was only held on, very loosely by a single one of the four locating rubber things.

Anyone else think that if I took it off and shoved it in the garage with the rest of the engine shroud things it's quieten it right down

And maybe it would want to fly?

I'm thinking of that horrible clatter when you change up - rattling engine cover anyone?

It's a WBOD it'll probably never have the windows wound down.

^ this

And when the engine cover was removed, it was only held on, very loosely by a single one of the four locating rubber things.

They all do that, sir.  They are fiddly thing to get on and off and get forced.  Usually because impatient with a Renner.

Does anyone know what downside there is to running without the engine cowl on?

It can't be any noisier, because of the horrible vibrations, but will the electrics gat all wet and infested with gremlins?

Will nuns & kittens die?

I can't believe that Renna put the cover on just to make the engine bay look tidy/pretty.

Cost accountants & engineers - I imagine that it must serve some purpose.

That's what I thought.

A brief test drive without it reveals that the dreadful harshness of the engine is all but gone.

It cheerfully pulled to 5,000 rpm and sounded like a proper car, that dreadful row as the engine slows when you change up has totally gone.

I rang a Renault dealer today who, when chap had stopped laughing, asked me to bring it in for him to have a look at so that he could order me the correct rubber grommet things.

We'll see how much the blighters cost.

Does anyone know what downside there is to running without the engine cowl on?

It can't be any noisier, because of the horrible vibrations, but will the electrics gat all wet and infested with gremlins?

Will nuns & kittens die?

I can't believe that Renna put the cover on just to make the engine bay look tidy/pretty.

Cost accountants & engineers - I imagine that it must serve some purpose.

The gremlins are already there, the cover just stops them jumping about too much...