barefoot

Barefoot T2 disaster!

2 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

I don't want the Jag. I should spend the money on mending my broken Jag instead. I don't want the Jag. I should spend the money on mending my broken Jag instead. I don't want the Jag. I should spend the money on mending my broken Jag instead. I don't want the Jag. I should spend the money on mending my broken Jag instead. I don't want the Jag. I should spend the money on mending my broken Jag instead. I don't want the Jag. I should spend the money on mending my broken Jag instead. I don't want the Jag. I should spend the money on mending my broken Jag instead. I don't want the Jag. I should spend the money on mending my broken Jag instead. I don't want the Jag. I should spend the money on mending my broken Jag instead. I don't want the Jag. I should spend the money on mending my broken Jag instead. I don't want the Jag. I should spend the money on mending my broken Jag instead.......

The man doth protest too much, me thinks.....

1 hour ago, Broadsword said:

It’s a good deal for £600. A transmission service is key with these. Functional air con a real bonus and with 12 months ticket it’s just good sense!

I know its a good deal. Its only £20 more than I paid for it several years ago and its in better condition than it is when I sold it.  ;)

1 hour ago, Tickman said:

Wow, good will power

Its now living nearby  and I'll see it regularly so its the next best thing. I really need to mend my red one. 

This ones got a lovely interior though. Really is a nice place to waft along. 

Really looks good on the road too. Has presence. 

25 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Its now living nearby  and I'll see it regularly so its the next best thing. I really need to mend my GT6. 

FTFY

3 hours ago, SiC said:

FTFY

I  need to sort the Shaguar first. Its parked on the road with no ticket. GT6 is taking a back seat for a few weeks. 

I just need a good run at it, I've literally had no spare time whatsoever over the last couple of months. 

...and then I spotted a rather nice motor car...

Without really thinking, I asked the seller about milage - 68,000 and cambelt - NO.

Despite a clean MOT history, I said that the bill for a belt would put it out of my budget and that my offer would be insulting, chap asked me to offer so I suggested half the asking price. To my astonishment it was accepted... I then had a ring around garages local to the car to price up a belt and amazingly found the very one who had serviced & maintained it for the last decade. "It's a lovely old car, the owner has spent a fortune, don't worry about the belt" they said," it'll be fine and it'll be much cheaper up north than around here".

So, given the failure of my last collection thread, I now have much more up to date technical equipment, some sandwiches, a Len Deighton and the money that I got for the Jaguar. Tomorrow, I leave at daybreak.

ready.JPG

Here we go; 

A little dull, because nothing exciting happened.

Caught the bus.

P1140486.thumb.JPG.f112c9d7caf34b84d4637db869128969.JPG

Waited for train & saw this

P1140488.thumb.JPG.a90e30cfe2fba4cd6ca8b79209509c6e.JPG

It clagged - A LOT, then I caught a different train, then another smaller train, then a 63 plate Merc Taxi, then I arrived at the vendor's. He looked desperately unwell, so I didn't hang about. I paid the agreed price, roughly half the asking, and set off for home. There's no petrol shot, because the bloody car was full of fuel!

Arrived home without further ado.

P1140495.thumb.JPG.d39ee8de56bf76ff8c080ba62f9ded9d.JPG

P1140496.thumb.JPG.366d0e3c2208b70ee9cb2d5ee185683e.JPG

It's a 2.5 litre automatic and apparently a 'Sovereign' Connoisseur SE? Whatever, it has only done 64,000 miles, but it is far from perfect. Top of my list before I delve much deeper is a replacement key, both are utterly fucked, but appear to work mechanically. The radio is also either fucked, or simply not intuitive to use. It appeared to only pick up crackly tennis, so I switched it off. There's someone on here with piles of R75 goodies isn't there?

Join the Rover 75/ZT club. free but £10 for full access. 

Someone  there will sort you a key. Best to sit down first though.

Is the boot wet near the lights? Has the rear wiper seized up yet?

They are very nice, just don't go overboard with your spending.

At the end of the day it will be worth as much as the key :)

1 hour ago, Mally said:

Join the Rover 75/ZT club. free but £10 for full access. 

Someone  there will sort you a key. Best to sit down first though.

Is the boot wet near the lights? Has the rear wiper seized up yet?

They are very nice, just don't go overboard with your spending.

At the end of the day it will be worth as much as the key :)

It's only the buttons that have fallen off, I've ordered a new case for £3.99 - the value of my new motor!

Update; a bit of a clean & polish later...

It appears that the first owner traded in his Rover 825 for this at 3,000 miles, and the second owner bought it in 2010 and sold it to me yesterday.

A thorough clean & polish has revealed, 1 Euro, 46p, a small, slightly tacky broach and no jack. The PAS fluid was a little low and the oil is thicker and blacker than I'd like. There's a fist sized dent on the OSR and a myriad of tiny scratches. Chap's (German) wife was covered in costume jewellery and masses of bracelets. There's also 7 mats; three fitted carpet over-mats and a full set of rubber one's which look recent. The top dash display is fubarred. Driving home last night, the rear wiper wouldn't sweep and I'd noticed what looked like a red worm on the screen, removing my spectacles & squinting at home, caused the worm to transform into a car with the boot open. I shut the rear window and the wiper burst back into life. The display for the satnav/TV/entertainment device is in German, and there is no life in the radio at all. There's a 6 CD  unit in the glove box. The luggage cover is also missing, but it has ice cold air conditioning, three position memory seats and a sublimely smooth slushbox. Ten minutes on ebay last night found NOS radio/satnavs for £140, new instrument clusters & rear covers from about £20. The tyres are a curiously tiny 195/65X15!

Fuck all that, have some pictures- 

P1140497.thumb.JPG.762085777cf7606223ddfc51b984265d.JPG

P1140503.thumb.JPG.a0a8f265db105fae815489856d1c3c88.JPG

P1140500.thumb.JPG.5dbe0eb089c2eee6ca9e08bab61ffdf5.JPG

P1140502.thumb.JPG.ebd5c97f4e74c3ea0664d2be735225fd.JPG

P1140506.thumb.JPG.e162a45767821ebad9894a044c2eb15d.JPG

P1140507.thumb.JPG.4ac5057b1667101fbe3770068f1cc039.JPG

P1140508.thumb.JPG.8cced6af7cc69eb9faf0f34b56e78676.JPG

P1140501.JPG

Just make sure you cable tie the bonnet release to the front wing asap.

Known issue in that the connector pops off the wing, and then there is too much slack in the cable and bonnet does not open.

Nice easy preventative fix to stop a world of pain...

Would recommend "Arctic's" hand brake mod on the 75 forum if your hand brake is a little sloppy.

Looks lovely by the way.

If you're going to upgrade the radio / nav, I would recommend getting the larger screen version from the later E46 (which shares the same setup), which is more or less a straight fit (a couple of minutes with a hacksaw to trim a couple of the mounting brackets) and enables the DVD version of the sat nav receiver to be used - they are still producing updated maps for that system, the CD version is not being updated any more as far as I can see.

If you're going to keep the in-dash unit and just want the radio to work, I think I have a spare radio receiver somewhere which I could send you.  Assume you've checked all the wiring to the existing unit (in the spare wheel well) is OK?

On 7/10/2019 at 2:05 PM, gadgetgricey said:

Just make sure you cable tie the bonnet release to the front wing asap.

Known issue in that the connector pops off the wing, and then there is too much slack in the cable and bonnet does not open.

Nice easy preventative fix to stop a world of pain...

Would recommend "Arctic's" hand brake mod on the 75 forum if your hand brake is a little sloppy.

Looks lovely by the way.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the bonnet cable, although the handbrake holds the car in drive even when the engine is cold.

On 7/10/2019 at 2:44 PM, wuvvum said:

If you're going to upgrade the radio / nav, I would recommend getting the larger screen version from the later E46 (which shares the same setup), which is more or less a straight fit (a couple of minutes with a hacksaw to trim a couple of the mounting brackets) and enables the DVD version of the sat nav receiver to be used - they are still producing updated maps for that system, the CD version is not being updated any more as far as I can see.

If you're going to keep the in-dash unit and just want the radio to work, I think I have a spare radio receiver somewhere which I could send you.  Assume you've checked all the wiring to the existing unit (in the spare wheel well) is OK?

I am more than happy with stock radio's. I'd be happy to send you beer tokens in exchange for your radio receiver if that's what turns out to be the problem. But where exactly do I look for the relevant wiring in the spare wheel well?

The radio receiver is mounted under the boot floor at the back of the spare wheel well, along with the (now useless since they switched off the analogue signal) TV receiver.  There's a multiplug into the back of it - check whether that has power to it, and whether the pins are clean (it can sometimes get damp in there, especially if the rear screen seal is dodgy, so electrical stuff can occasionally corrode).

A big thanks for that Wuv, I will have a look tomorrow.

I don't suppose that anyone knows which German word is used for 'settings' so I can open the Satnav menu & put it back into English, do they?