barefoot

Barefoot T2 disaster!

Since the EPB warning light came on last week, the fair wife has been using the XJ8 for her commute & I have been pottering about in the Vel Satis.

In a curious turn of events, the EPB light has gone out today - which is good.

But the fair wife reports a complete lack of anything from the Jaguar on the way home this evening - which is not good.

No power, slowing down and waiting for lorries to pass her on the inside so that she could get to the hard shoulder.

Once there, whilst looking for her phone, the car apparently set off like a rocket!

Apparently she never took it out of drive, never tried to restart it, since the engine never apparently stopped,

And apparently never took her foot off the accelerator since it took off at speed?

I am unsure what happened here & I'm guessing that she didn't use the brakes to stop it?

Asking for more information at the moment simply results in, 'you make me drive a death trap etc.'

Any ideas folks?

When I had the car it used to sometimes just cut out when I got to the top of Hollins hill towards Guiseley. I thought it was maybe the throttle body as it was a common problem but it didn't happen enough for me to do anything about it.

Had she just driven up a big hill by chance?

T'weren't me, guv.

Scary, scary shit. When I had it, I noticed that the wheel nuts fore and aft were different sizes, but it never occurred to me that this might be due to the wrong discs having been fitted. I just assumed French weirdness...

Good luck with putting the EPB issues to bed.

PS. Breadvan is a great bloke.

I don't think in all my years I've ever heard of a car with incorrect disks fitted.

Well done whatever pro is responsible.

Is a bloke called Mick at Diamond Motors in Long Eaton.

When I had the car it used to sometimes just cut out when I got to the top of Hollins hill towards Guiseley. I thought it was maybe the throttle body as it was a common problem but it didn't happen enough for me to do anything about it.

Had she just driven up a big hill by chance?

Thanks Scotty, but the throttle body was removed and cleaned when I had the cams & chains sorted, about 9,000 miles ago.

Vel Satis now appears to be sorted, the rear discs were from a Laguna.

Chap tells me I've a noisy dual mass flywheel* and that the error codes apparently caused by the O2 sensor

are probably down to a slight leak** from the exhaust.

*I knew this.

** I didn't know this

Is it the original paint code? It looks lovely.

It is indeed

Does it work?

It did when I put it in there, but that was about five years ago, so I suspect not without some attention.

In a couple or three weeks, we're off in the Bay of lasting Joy to explore the Scottish highlands & Islands.

Today was just a quick shake down run up to the Derbyshite hills for a quick overnighter.

But the bus, struggled like a bastard on the M1, seemingly unable to rev properly, top speed was down from a heady 58 to about 50.

Came off at 29 and onto the A617, pulled over, but there were no obvious loose leads or anything so we made a run for home...

I quickly became unsettled of the lack of hard shoulder and opted to call it a day at Tibshelf services.

post-4623-0-42196100-1555165297_thumb.jpg

It took Autoaid a dismal three hours to get anyone out to us. 

A second recovery company arrived after the first, Richford Motors failed us completely.

post-4623-0-00335600-1555165673_thumb.jpg

A pleasant enough day was spent in the crisp spring sunshine, but the fair wife was less than impressed.

post-4623-0-05511800-1555165716_thumb.jpg

Off now to leave a review on trusted trader... 

Are you still running the standard points and condensor on this?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yes, And I suspect a fucked condensor.

Maybe his power steering has packed up

Has that recovery bloke never heard of weight distribution?  Or did he not realise there's a heavy lump up the Bay of Joy's arse?

Bizarrely, the curious weight distribution made for a very smooth ride home.

I've ridden in very, very jerky recovery trucks, but I suspect that it's further back than intended,

I had to hold the brake pedal pressed down after the hand brake had repeatedly failed to hold the bus on the sloped recovery bed.

Yes, And I suspect a fucked condensor.

Bizarrely, the curious weight distribution made for a very smooth ride home.

I've ridden in very, very jerky recovery trucks, but I suspect that it's further back than intended,

I had to hold the brake pedal pressed down after the hand brake had repeatedly failed to hold the bus on the sloped recovery bed.

It does sound exactly like the symptoms mine had. The accuspark electronic dizzy is a great budget swap. Fit and forget.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

See if you can guess which popular error message has made yet another appearance on the Vel Satis' screen of impending doom...

I rang the nice man at Diamond motors, he who prescribed new discs/pads, to go with the new cables, callipers, control unit...

He'll be able to plug me in on Monday.

I wonder what can possibly be wrong now...

It appears to be working fine, engaging & disengaging as required. I suspect that I'll have it read and learn something,

but that the long term solution will probably be to just keep on using it and wait for it to go out again.

I have that Oh Noe Renault app on a telephone, but it tells me that my blue tooth dongle is crap.

Can anyone recommend a brand of BT plug in that is likely to work?

So I can delete the code myself and reassure the fair wife that all is well with the world.