barefoot

Barefoot Breakdown - Identified.

That looks a lovely place to be. In mileage terms you'll be fine up to 90,000 on a KV6, but not in time terms - still every 6 years.

I think most people recommend Lates 600 http://www.lates600.com/ in Rugby off the MG-R forum for reasonably priced belt changes, or possibly the guys at MG Mobile Mechanics in Derby http://www.mg-rovermobilemechanics.com/, although the latter are fully booked up until September last I heard...and that was two months ago.

...and breakdown #75

Just pottering to Loughborough, M1, A512 all good and then about 200 yards short of Sainsbury's the bloody temperature gauge warning light popped on with the dial vertical. About 30 seconds later I was switched off in the car park and on the phone to the nice recovery folk. There was apparently no mayo, just a few splashes of water and nothing left in the header tank. looks to me like a split hose. So, I completed my shopping  and had it recovered to my friendly mechanic, which is where it is now - in disgrace. No photos because I don't have a suitable phone. TBH the car has done less than a thousand miles in the last year, things like this are to be expected are they not? At least the wife wasn't driving it, and it wasn't raining.

4 hours ago, Mally said:

Not the end of the world, it will be fine I'm sure. They can be a pain to bleed I hear.

I had a split hose on my last collection, 100 miles from home in the middle of the night.

Waited 4 hours for the AA.

There was a time when I used to carry a roll of self-amalgamating tape in my collection mission toolkit, after two split hoses in quick succession.

Long overdue update - It turns out that the split hose was not in fact a split hose, but the expansion tank blowing off as the engine got a bit hot. The engine had warmed up because the water pump had sprung a leak. My usual man with the spanners is booked up for a bit, so I have arranged with another local garage, one that I've been keen to develop a relationship with for a while, to have the belts, water pump & idlers changed on Monday. It's not like it's a surprise to me, I knew that the belts had never been changed in 17 years....