Citroën C4 "coupé", full MOT, £450

wuvvum

As mentioned elsewhere, the C4 passed its MOT yesterday and it's now time for it to go to a new home.  It still needs a few jobs doing, none of which are particularly expensive, but I've spent far too much time and money on it already and I'd rather spend the limited fettling time that I have on getting the 205 back on the road.

It's a 1.6 VTR 3 door.  Good bits:

-Full MOT

-New cat, rear silencer, rear shock, lambda sensor

-Funky split rear screen so you can pretend you're Egg in his 323

-Drives well enough, brakes are very good if extremely over-assisted

-Interior is quite interesting by modern* car standards

-It's generally fairly tidy

-Tyres are good - the fronts were nicked from the Mondeo I bought off the Moog, which were nearly new

Less good bits:

-It flashes up a P0121 fault code and puts the "service" light on after a few miles of driving.  This is to do with the throttle body, which is a common thing on these apparently.  Second-hand throttle bodies can be had off the Bay for about 20 quid, but due to the unique way the C4 is designed you have to take the scuttle panel off to get to it, which quite frankly I can't be arsed with. It seems to go into a sort of "default" throttle map when the light is on, which makes it less responsive, although it'll still happily roll along at motorway speeds.  It normally resets itself once the car has cooled down

-Heater fan only works on the highest setting

-Cruise control is temperamental

-Some of the pixels / lines / whatever the fuck they are on the centre dashboard display don't work.  Also the rev counter doesn't always display the numbers, although the little bars still go up and down and it still turns red when you hit the, er, red line, which I think is pretty cool

-Some kind person has put a thin scratch in the paint down the offside at some point

-Alternator is whiny, although it hasn't got any worse since I've had the car and it still works fine

-Bit of an exhaust blow from the fannymould to cat join, as the gasket was knackered and the cat didn't come with a new one.  It wasn't bad enough to fail the MOT but does make a bit of noise

It's done 128K or thereabouts.  One other minor point: despite what it says on the MOT advisories, the EML isn't on - that was copied across from an earlier test before I changed the lambda sensor.

I think it's cheap for a C4 with a full test - it certainly owes me more than that - but I just can't be bothered with it any more.

Pictures:

post-190-0-20235700-1526209436_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-16340400-1526209474_thumb.jpg

In NE Norfolk.

I haven't, because it's a twat to get to on a C4 being buried under the scuttle panel (panel would have to come off, which means wipers off etc etc).  I probably should give it a try, but I've spent far too much of my last few weekends working on the car to get it through its test and I'm having a break from it at the moment.

I am biased, but I think the C4 Coupe is a great looking car and has a proper dose of Citroen quirkyness both inside and out. Outside, it doesn't look like anything else as it has that swoopy round overall cab forward shape with a vertical cut off tail and two piece rear window (looks even better with the rear spoiler like on my VTS). Inside, it doesn't look like anything else as the dash has a central binnacle with huge backlit digital speedo (backlit by natural light, so it never gets washed out by the sun like many LED dashboards), a digital tacho that lights up in red when it hits the red line, strange geometric shapes on the doors and most dash and interior trim is finished in abstract patterns rather than the pretend leather of most cars. I don't really understand why they are so cheap.

Edit; How come no one has noticed them or seen what the interior looks like? Does no one read my posts haha?

• 3 weeks later...

Well over the bank holiday weekend I pulled my finger out and removed various bits of C4 in order to attack the throttle body with a can of carb cleaner.  Having put it all back together again and since done 80 or so miles without the issue reoccurring, I am officially declaring it fixorated.  I'm still selling it for the same bargain price though, 'cos I'm nice like that.

I also took a couple of interior pics, one showing the funky instruments (although sadly you don't get the full benefit of the carbon fibre-effect trim on the centre console because the lighting was pants).

post-190-0-23592700-1527794486_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-04013300-1527794522_thumb.jpg

had a diesel one as a courtesy car..centre of steering wheel didn't move as it had some gauge in there..well weird.. went VERY well though for a diesel....did the clock, and it was still accelerating....

I really like them but having only just bought the Saab I really can't justify it. Sorely tempted at that price though!

I know it's been suggested already, how about hitting that roffle tag and see what happens? I'd have two.

(Tiny bit scared that I'm in more than one roffle at the moment, not quite sure what I'd do if I win them all...)

I have the boring 5 door hatch and it's still a funky looking thing.

Wheel does indeed stay put, which is pretty forgettable once the novelty wears off, though annoyingly the horn is a tiny button along the lower half of the rim - I always forget and end-up bashing the centre of the wheel ineffectively when trying to tell someone off.

Edit: actually mine is the same doom-blue colour and also has the 16inch wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife decided (well, somebody decided for her) that yesterday was the day to write off her/  Upon getting home this evening I thought "Ahh.. theres a beautiful C4 on Autoshite" and came charging to the advert.  Unfortunately its far to manually for her "automatic only license".  On saying that this is a great looking car that shouldn't be for sale still.  There is a few C4's for sale round Hull area (I do not wish to venture there unless I have to) but they are "too silver" apparently.  This is a fine looking steed.

• 2 weeks later...