Nurburgring track

sierraman

I would agree with an earlier comment about how safe modernz appear to be in terms of protecting over-enthusiastic drivers from themselves and I'd hazard a guess that the manufacturers could get a lot of useful crash test data from those real life scenarios than running things off-set into concrete posts at 30mph.

Surely part of the reason that the vast majority of Modernz are so much safer and stronger, and protect their occupants is *because* manufacturers have been running things off-set into concrete posts at 30mph for so long now?

The prospect of driving on the Nurburgring is a very interesting one to me. The prospect of driving on the Nurburgring (or indeed any track at all) with the absurd mix of vehicles and capabilities that exists there frightens me silly.

Oh look, there's a 2CV / Coach / other absurdly slow vehicle right in front of me and I can't easily pass.

Oh look, there's a complete wanker in an Audi/BMW/Porsche 3" from my rear bumper, travelling about 50mph faster than me.

*huge fucking crash*

The prospect of driving on the Nurburgring is a very interesting one to me. The prospect of driving on the Nurburgring (or indeed any track at all) with the absurd mix of vehicles and capabilities that exists there frightens me silly.

Oh look, there's a 2CV / Coach / other absurdly slow vehicle right in front of me and I can't easily pass.

Oh look, there's a complete wanker in an Audi/BMW/Porsche 3" from my rear bumper, travelling about 50mph faster than me.

*huge fucking crash*

You’ve got the idea.

Been there a few times to watch - seen some fairly daft (i.e. wholly avoidable) crashes occur. I've no desire to ride around their either*. The roads around the area are great though, and pretty much empty during the day.

I used to do quite a few trackdays on bikes, but dont enjoy them anymore, preferring the deserted roads in most of Europe. The only trackday i do now is the BSB one at Blyton Park near Gainsborough, mainly for the instruction given. Proper instructors, no just blokes in hi viz vests wanting to race their mates all day.

*A total lie......

Guest Hooli

Blyton Park near Gainsborough

I had no idea that place existed! Been out round that way lots & never seen any signs.

I had no idea that place existed! Been out round that way lots & never seen any signs.

Nice circuit worth checking out. 1.6 miles round, well surfaced, good run off on most corners, and fast. The British Superbike School use it, and they have some great instructors there. they only put 12 out on the circuit at once, 3 riders to each instructor. They don't care what bike you ride either.

https://britishsuperbikeschool.com/

Maybe we should have an AS bike trackday?

So far it was said that the 'Ring is unpredictable, dangerous, overhyped and many other things. And I hate it.

There is a track not too far from it, that is grossly underhyped, even more unpredictable, has an even bigger altitude change

and like no other is able to separate the men from the boys. Spa Francorchamps. And I love it as much as I hate the 'Ring.

• 8 months later...

Passenger is annoying but the guy driving is excellent at teaching how to drive the track with an experienced instructor. Not at all what I expected from the click bait video title.

Out of all the Nordschleife videos I've watched, this is definitely one of the best. Well worth a watch.