Nurburgring track

sierraman

Halcyon days, no pesky seatbelts in them days.

It does look more pleasant back then, apart from the potential to be ejected from your moving vehicle being ever present.

I think the girl at 25s was lucky if she only lost a few teeth, it was 1970 but I assume it's a girl

Been there April last year in the BMW and loved it, but its also scary as hell. You have to keep in mind that you've got supercars (and borderline mental E36 drivers) constantly trying to push you off the road. Going at the speeds you are doing on there, things get tricky fairly quickly if you can't take the ideal racing line in tight corners. And you don't wanna hit the grass as that pretty much means financial bankruptcy, even if your car is repairable in the end. Its also quite the gamble considering there could be an oil spill coming out of nowhere after every turn.

I'll probably be there in September again lol.

Here's the video of my first lap, it makes things look about 4 times as slow as it really was. I constantly had to stay on the brakes and keep right to let the others pass.

https://youtu.be/hjik1DZymcQ?t=1m1s

I wouldn't mind a lap, it's somewhere on the list after a lap of the TT on mad Sunday.

Doubt I'd take the bike to the ring. I wouldnt be looking to set any records, just get a couple of safe laps in without getting in anyone's way so a car would be the way to do it as I find it too tempting to open the bike up. This would lead to certain death because I'm no Rossi.....hell I'm not even the guy that cuts Rossi's hedges......

So because I'm not a helmsman by any stretch it would need to be something that could be enjoyed on the journey to the ring itself.....no point knackering yourself driving hundreds of miles in some track car wannabe only to pootle round the ring itself at two tenths.

Out of interest, and because I'm much to lazy to find out for myself, how long does it take to drive there from landing at calais?

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Talking of expensive. This chap parked in the wrong place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JYLUL9MRyQ

I do not want to go!

Why did he stop where he did? Fair play to him warning other cars etc but is the advice not as per track days and don't stop for accidents you aren't involved in?

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

It's very aptly nicknamed The Green Hell.

I've always hated it.

There many more enjoyable circuits in the UK. It is a challenging circuit, but the risk of getting it wrong and being financially fucked over are very high. It's awful in the wet, it's nearly always busy and the risk of it all going very badly wrong are too salty for me. That's why I stopped going in 2006 - it was just carnage on my last Touristfahrten day then, multiple accidents, track closures and so on. The era of it being inexpensive fun is long gone.

I *do* intend however to find out how fast I can belt the Activa around Knockhill. Carefully.

I've driven that twice before, and it is a cracking track...will be interesting to actually drive it in something better suited to it. Sad I never got the Cappuccino there.

Knockhill is a great circuit with a standstill corner.

I love my trackdays but those two crash videos made me shiver - the initial crash was bad enough but without a marshall on each corner to stop the session that pile up was inevitable. I'll stick to Knockhill, thanks.

Although I would like to go out as a passenger in the ring-taxi, probably (hopefully) much safer.

the initial crash was bad enough but without a marshall on each corner to stop the session that pile up was inevitable. 

Marshalls seem conspicuous by their absence at the Ring. So many accidents are avoidable because of this. 

The Nurburgring in its entirety is Disneyland with no H&S run by Germans. 

It almost becomes mesmorising watching various videos of folks wrecking their cars at Nurburgring. The pattern of causes is quite telling...

FWD - oversteer induced involuntarily and then compounded by not staying on the power

RWD - accelerating way to early and getting speared into the inside wall

AWD - taken by surprise when their 'grippy' car understeers them straight off the track and/or then decides to snap-oversteer when they lift off or stamp the throttle

I would agree with an earlier comment about how safe modernz appear to be in terms of protecting over-enthusiastic drivers from themselves and I'd hazard a guess that the manufacturers could get a lot of useful crash test data from those real life scenarios than running things off-set into concrete posts at 30mph.

By the way, Manfred Winkelhock won the luckiest escape at Flugplatz contest back in 1980...

https://youtu.be/g1NJk6qVKlQ

And here's another top 10 compilation with a combination of civilians, unaware bikists and racing drivers getting it wrong too...

I've been a few times,but never round the track. It's a long way home with bald tyres and no pads left.. Also the red mist is expensive and painful. First time on a track, at Knockhill I ended up on my roof, and thats only 1.3 miles. Gawd knows how I'd end up after 12.9. The days of trying to be a hero are long gone. I'll stick to the Xbox..

I'll stick to the Xbox..

Having watched the nurburgring videos I'd like to think I could handle the track better than some, but I agree. Sticking to Project Cars is a much easier prospect - doesn't take the entire day out either.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

There many more enjoyable circuits in the UK. It is a challenging circuit, but the risk of getting it wrong and being financially fucked over are very high. It's awful in the wet, it's nearly always busy and the risk of it all going very badly wrong are too salty for me. That's why I stopped going in 2006 - it was just carnage on my last Touristfahrten day then, multiple accidents, track closures and so on. The era of it being inexpensive fun is long gone.

Pretty much this for me too I went a couple of times in the early 2000's, last in '05, it was getting dangerous then or mores to the point, the chances of being caught up in someone else's fuckup and bellendery was too high for me to want to go again. The costs just don't bear thinking about.

The prices are silly now too, it was about five Euros a lap if I recall correctly the last time and there were lots of locals there in quite beaten up looking hot hatches that were frighteningly fast. I suspect there aren't many now.

No real desire to go again, as said,the days of inexpensive fun there are gone forever.

Yes. My first ever laps were in a 1.4 or 1.6 Astra Mark 4 hire car, Opel flavour of course. A superb handling road car shows its limitations pretty quickly on a track - it's not even remotely the same. On my last trip in 2007 (I lied, sorry) I was doing about 90-100 mph around the Pflanzgarten and some fucking Polish clown in a Vectra/Cavalier pulled across on me. I put two wheels on the grass, lifted off and coasted through at 70-80 to avoid colliding with him. That same trip I saw a biker lose not, hit the barrier and go over it at around the same spot later - I slowed and stopped, my co pilot waved a hi viz to slow other cars and there was the biker, stuck in a tree 10 feet or so below. It took marshalls about 3-4 mins to pitch up.

This sounds reactionary, but they really should finish the touristfahrten and just have proper sensible trackdays. How many folk die every year at Silverstone? 

Comparing the Ring with other tracks is futile.

The Ring is a standalone in history and sadly also tragedy.

There is a tree at Hohe Acht that should have been planted elsewhere, for all I care.

I went back to it after I was released from hospital and nailed a silver badge to it.

It reads: This is my tree. Do not reuse!

Also, the tourist driving sessions are timed bridge to gantry, since the main straight cannot be driven at full speed due to the entry/exit.

A lap is thus about a mile shorter than during a race. I used to do sub 8 minute race laps in the late Eighties.

I first went there in '98, so stressed that I was sick after one lap. Have been at least once a year ever since. Always hate it. Can't stop going. Was there in March in my Alfa Romeo, making a film, span massively and nearly shit my pants. Won't ever go again. Until next year.

Your insurance won't help you, the Polizei aren't too sympathetic to anyone who cocks up, there's a huge disparity in the performance of cars/bikes and skill of driver/riders, the owners will shag you senseless if you come stuck. It's dangerous, stupid and over-rated. I highly recommend it.

The GP circuit is great fun, access from the historic pits near the dorint hotel, lots of run off and much safer. Cheap, too.

Gute reise.

I'd love to go but chatting to a colleague at work has put me totally off. He said that the Brits are notorious over there. Not helped by the vast majority of our insurers actually providing insurance to drive on the road - despite it being a public road. You can see there is no run offs at all, but its even more apparent when on the road.

If you make a mistake, you're almost certainly going to go in hard. Even if you manage to escape heroically* it's likely someone else will hit you anyway.

Comparing the Ring with other tracks is futile.

The Ring is a standalone in history and sadly also tragedy.

There is a tree at Hohe Acht that should have been planted elsewhere, for all I care.

I went back to it after I was released from hospital and nailed a silver badge to it.

It reads: This is my tree. Do not reuse!

Also, the tourist driving sessions are timed bridge to gantry, since the main straight cannot be drive at full speed due to the entry/exit.

A lap is thus about a mile shorter than during a race. I used to do sub 8 minute race laps in the late Eighties.

My fastest was 9.45 in a 318Ti VLN car. I was so pleased until the owner did it a minute faster.