Manufacturer test mules

CortinaDave

Hadn’t heard that one before. Any more info?

Apparently they were working with a company called Camcon who were developing a system which used electronic valve actuation, each valve capable of being opened independently thus completely variable lift and duration. I’m sure some engines these days might use similar systems or at least partial electronic valves, Fiat and Ducati spring to mind.

Can't work out if photoshopped, crashed, or it's just meant to be like that.

2018-Ford-Focus-Wagon-Mule7.jpg

Yes, it's supposed to be like that. O noticed on the rear boot the name "Elvis" so googled: 'Ford Focus Elvis' and got this link:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=ms-android-samsung&biw=360&bih=287&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=zSL2WuX3IIGdkwXXhYXYCQ&q=ford+focus+elvis&oq=ford+focus+elvis&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3...8815.9980..11232...0....247.1190.0j2j4......0....1.........0i7i30j30i10.gjxoSWm5wbI%3D#imgrc=TG_roQNkDBapvM:

I'm guessing they were on the way to developing the Focus estate. I recall that Ford did have some strange names for development vehicles.

I also seem to recall coming across a website that charted all the surviving Land Rover development vehicles that have actually been sold to the general public/collectors.

You're right.

Quite sadly I created a spreadsheet for a lot of the early Mondeos. Didn't find a single FMC reg that's still around, a couple (42 and 44) made it to 2010 and I know a few are off the road in museums but none are still taxed.

Oh, 17 made it to 2011.

They're not test mules though, just early production. In fact going on VIN, the FMC cars are a few thousand into production - there's regular registered cars built earlier. K717SLB for example was a month before and rumour has it there were some 1992 cars built.

I'm sure I'd seen some pictures of a Sierra with FWD chassis and weird lights but can't find it now.

I think the XJ220 Transit is one of my favourites. I was having a good look around when putting together the current issue of Classic Jaguar that went on sale today (hint, hint!). Apparently, it was good for 172mph! That was apparently done on the standard Transit front suspension. It apparently didn't handle it very well...

Another favourite test Jag is the MkX that had the quad-cam V12 installed before they decided on single-cam V12s. Apparently it was rather brisk!

There are quite a few prototypes it would be great fun to reproduce. A Daimlerised MKX Jaguar with the Daimler 4.5 V8 and Daimler badges and a crinkly grille and rear plate surround. Jaguar made a prototype but didn't proceeed. The Ausin 3 Litre V8 Wolseley with the Rover V8. It apparently transformed the stodgey 3 Litre. I had a 3Litre, not a great engine that spoiled the car as it was. Someone has actually made the Vauxhall Cresta Daimler 2.5 litre mash- up prototype.

The ideas were still there. It’s such a bloody shame we screwed up, sold out and held up our hands in surrender.

It really could have worked.

Hadn’t heard that one before. Any more info?

There were some bloody talented people at longbridge those last few years. That the MG  design team were handed the 75 and told to make it appeal to young people is like trying being handed John Major and told to make him into Jay-Z.... And yet on a budget of sod all the ZT turned out to be a really good car with an entirely different personality to the 75.

Such a shame it all went pear shaped, they really did try their damndest to make it work

I remember have a race with a pre production X Type Jaguar on my GSXR600SRAD. I can assure you the JLR test driver knew how to fucking drive! I'd easily outrun traffic plod driving T5 Volvos on that bike but he was stuck to my back wheel for over five miles.

A couple of fishing tales but true.

I went round the Rover test track at the factory in a pre-production Range Rover when I was a child. Family member was a friend of one of the directors.

I remember have a race with a pre production X Type Jaguar on my GSXR600SRAD. I can assure you the JLR test driver knew how to fucking drive! I'd easily outrun traffic plod driving T5 Volvos on that bike but he was stuck to my back wheel for over five miles.

Have you ever seen on YouTube the race between a Fireblade and a Porsche 911 on the A57?

Saab 900 Safari prototypes, these 2 are the only remaining ones, the red one is owned by someone in the Netherlands and the blue one is in the Saab mus

1981_saab_900_safari_red_exterior_04.jpg

https://www.saabplanet.com/saab-900-safari/

22295166096_5192fbac53_b.jpg

https://driventowrite.com/2016/11/06/saab-safari-estate-saab-museum/

That red Saab, WOULD!, an ex Leeds City Transport Daimler CVG6 was used as a mule for Dennis for driveline trials for the upcoming Dominator, I bet BL were chuffed about that LOL, there was also a mock up long wheelbase Leyland AN69 development chassis in left hand drive form that wasn't bodied at first, it was rebuilt to right hand drive, then sent to Lowestoft, who put an Olympian style body on it, and it was flogged to Fishwicks, not sure what happened to it

I'm being lazy as I'm on my phone, but I found out yesterday via Wikipedia that Porsche used Audi 100 Coupes as 928 mules. The first had widened arches but the second was sectioned lengthways and 4.5" added to the middle.

I came on to post pix of these and spotted your post! Here you go:

post-16950-0-02383200-1526294347_thumb.jpg

post-16950-0-98481200-1526294354_thumb.jpg

post-16950-0-04352900-1526294365_thumb.jpg

-----

This would have been around mid 70s, say 74-75. Porsche were also working with VW/Audi at this time on a commission for a 2 litre RWD coupe. They used an Opel Manta test mule for this project:

post-16950-0-12312300-1526295652_thumb.jpg

post-16950-0-66233900-1526295663_thumb.jpg

Looking at the 70's rationalisation of the VW line up to be all fwd/front engine (pasat/scirocco/golf/polo) it's unlikely that it would have been a VW. The new Audi 100 that was released in 1976 was available as saloon and Avant, and the Coupe S wasn't directly replaced in 1976 so there was a coupe model gap in the Audi range until the release of the 80 based Coupe in 1980.

I'd guess that this car would have been the 1976 Audi Coupe until VW canned the project at the 11th hour when it was production ready and Porsche bought the rights to it, swapped the badges and launched it as the 924, but still built at an Audi (actually NSU) factory and using an Audi engine. So these prototypes would have been Audi Coupe prototypes:

post-16950-0-88545100-1526295954_thumb.jpg

post-16950-0-53281900-1526295968_thumb.jpg

(can you tell I've been looking into the history of the Porsche - VW/Audi relationship?)

This would have been around mid 70s, say 74-75. Porsche were also working with VW/Audi at this time on a commission for a 2 litre RWD coupe. They used an Opel Manta test mule for this project:

There was also a BMW 2002, which was used as the first engine mule for the 924. Although the 924 might have been more logical as an Audi model (and it did have an internal type number starting with 4, which all VAG nerds know was only used for Audi models), there are photos of early styling mockups with VW badges in some of the books about the 924, so I think the idea was for it to be a VW model, at least until the Scirocco came along.

Next door currently has a Roewe RX5 parked on the driveway with no rear seats and a couple of odd tape-labelled switches next to the gearstick, definitely some kind of test car... he's very quiet and rarely home though so I don't know anything more than that. Will see if I can sneak a pic...