Best and worst names for cars

Tamworthbay

much as Apple would like people to call the iPhone X the iPhone 10 ... despite the fact the iphone 8 is a 7s by the established standards and there is no iphone 9...

but Iphone nomencalutre and consistency is a moveable feast se urIphone , Iphone 3g , 3gs, 4 , 4s , 5 , 5s , 5c , 6 , se , 6s , 7, 8, X

It's because OSX is Operating System 10, and the iPhone X is the tenth anniversary model. Various numbers are skipped as they're unlucky or don't fit.... There's no OnePlus 4 or Note 6 because 4 is unlucky in China (I think?) and the Note was one step behind the Galaxy S range every year so it seemed inferior, hence the bump.

I'm sure I heard a radio advert for the Grandland that called it X and not Cross or Ten or whatever.

I also remember the James Bond copyright owners being very strict that the Peugeot 1007 was the one-oh-oh-seven and the word Double could not be used.

Seeing a (Toyota) Corona always brings back fond memories of dimple-necked bottles filled with fizzy pop that were delivered by the milkman. A sizeable reward of six new pence could be had, simply by returning an empty bottle to him.

(Actual reward may have been more or less than 6p; it was nearly 50 years ago FFS)

What annoys me even more about this is that Ford have their range of EcoBoost engines. Pronounced as you would expect (i.e. not Echo Boost).

Thus, they use the same spelling and two different pronunciations, depending on what they're referring to!

It also doesn't help that the EcoSport (I'm not calling it an Echo Sport) is a hateful POS.

Yep thats a pet annoyance of mine as well, In my opinion it all went downhill when ford stopped using the L through to ghia for trim levels

Toyota Space Cruiser is a great name. It sounds like something out of a sci-fi film. Mitsubishi Sigma sounds fantastic in a deep Glaswegian accent - cms206 gave me a fit of the giggles when he said it at Shitefest 16. I also like the Sao Penza as legend has it the name should have been Panzer but ended up being spelled the way it's pronounced in a South African accent. Maybe that's just because I have a soft spot for South Africans thanks to a lovely and very sexy South African girl I met at uni. 

As for silly names, the Nissan Micra Wave takes the biscuit. I know modern cars are just appliances on wheels but calling one a microwave is a step too far. Renault Koleos is awful too as it sounds like some sort of horrible disease.

I bet VW didn't think anything wrong with calling their SUV after a bloodthirsty tribe, or their small Skoda Soft Roader after the abominable snowman, both cars are hateful and in the Skoda's case came with the option of a Stannah stairlift, and plastic seats you could wipe the piss off 

Forester and Outback were acceptable for useful estate cars.

Impreza suggests an impressively fast rear-engined Hillman.

But Subaru seem to given up now:

Tribeca (tribe car?, try becker? trib eeker?) 

XV        (fifteen in Roman)

Levorg     (Grovel)

BRZ       That is just three left-over letters.

Best ever brand name?  Studebakerpost-17481-0-12325000-1526218570_thumb.jpg

Best ever model name (Hudson) Terraplanepost-17481-0-03201700-1526218565_thumb.jpg

I have always been surprised why Ford chose to name two of their cars after top shelf wank mags.

A bit off-topic, but the mention of wank mags reminded me of something that happened in a factory I worked at in the late 70's. The toilet cubicles had those old high mounted cisterns, & people used to stash wank mags behind them. One day, someone entered one of the cubicles, & spotted something protruding from behind the cistern. Expecting a wank mag, he gave said item a sharp tug, & out popped a pair of under pants full of shit! He dropped them on the floor & stormed out. Minutes later, one of the supervisors walked into the same cubicle, slipped on the shitty pants, fell over & broke his arm!

• 2 weeks later...

VW Derby

Why "Derby'? Why not Corby. "Oh yeah, I have a Corby"....

To be fair, they did give a trouser press the "Corby" name. These days, you could call it the "Corbyn".

Toyota Space Cruiser is a great name. It sounds like something out of a sci-fi film.

I can assure you it doesn't handle like one.

As for silly names, the Nissan Micra Wave takes the biscuit.....

The advert campaign for the previous generation Micra took the biscuit:

post-23014-0-71629300-1527527648_thumb.jpg

Citroen CX is a great name when you learn that it refers to the French way of writing the formula for drag co-efficient.

Car names I love:

Citroen CX (as stated)

Austin Ambassador (alliteration based fun)

FSO Polonez Prima (posh name, cheap car)

Car names I hate:

Seat Arona (like a bad aroma)

Seat Covoda Vario (this name caught me off guard the first time I heard it)

Reliant Rialto (controversial: but sounds like a tacky bar)

Dacia Duster (comes with pink and yellow feathers... also an anagram for Rusted)

• 5 years later...