sporty-shite

Riding the roffle wave!!111!1!Sportys French fruitcake. Clio 172. £1150 or roffle at £20 a go. Free extra ticket to four random entrants once 55 sold.

1.Pandamonium

3.M'coli

4. Minimad5

6.Moog

8. Mrs M'Coli

10. Tickman

16. robthedonkey

18. JoelloM

20. Minimad5

21.Kiltox

26.Kringle

27. Minimad5

28. Moog

33.Outlaw118

37. Loserone

40. Minimad5

46. Loserone

48. Minimad5

51. Yes Oui Si

54. Minimad5

57. billy_bunter

59. Minimad5

After roffle results from the Jag, the itch for something "a bit more me" was intense. Luckily, a certain little French fancy came up which also cured a logistics problem.

Off I went, and brought this little thing back. Gave it a valet when I got home (baby wipes and pound shop dashboard spray) and a decent wash.

Here it is....

41933101312_ef7a638dd8_b.jpg20180508_145605 by Chris France, on Flickr

41258957354_80ceafe96d_b.jpg20180508_145640 by Chris France, on Flickr

27108616577_3a447020a8_b.jpg20180508_145617 by Chris France, on Flickr

And a contrast of small French hatchbacks. One smooth and sedate, one bonkers.

41933099932_c33276134a_b.jpg20180508_145703 by Chris France, on Flickr

Next to look at is exhaust and engine mount. It's got a vibration under hard acceleration. I believe there's a "dog bone" engine mount which is prone to wear, and the cat has been cut out, so the pipe may not be perfectly straight.

Also need to fit the proper 172 back seats I've bagged, and asses which bits of trim I need before raiding the local scrappy.

Edited to finally sort photos out!

Well fucking brilliant. It's done a Renault already. On the way home from work, and the ABS light came on. Followed by the airbag light. And the EML. Then the radio stopped working. Then the speedo stopped working. Then it started misfiring.

Stopped for petrol, because it was on its arse, and when got back to it, turning the key elicited a few clicking relays and a bit of buzzing from the clocks.

Waiting for green flag. And I'm fucking cold and hungry.

Little French bastard.

Arses. I'd be checking the alternator is charging first. Mine did all sorts of crazy things when the alternator died.

Thought about that.w but it did the same on my way to work this morning, then fired straight up when I left to come home.

Hopefully green flag guy can plug it in and give me a clue.

Arses. I'd be checking the alternator is charging first. Mine did all sorts of crazy things when the alternator died.

Top marks for Dome!!! Jump started it, checked charging, and it's kicking out a paltry 9 volts. Checked the back of the alternator, and the main lead looks a bit crusty, so hopefully I can clean that up and get a result, although a new alternator isn't the end of the world. At least I know what it needs.

Top marks for Dome!!! Jump started it, checked charging, and it's kicking out a paltry 9 volts. Checked the back of the alternator, and the main lead looks a bit crusty, so hopefully I can clean that up and get a result, although a new alternator isn't the end of the world. At least I know what it needs.

Hope it is just the electrical connections as access isn't the best for changing (don't ask Dome or you will find him in the fetal position rocking) 

I only had a lack of electricity after nearly three weeks of not being touched but a jump start and it charged itself back up fine. 

Well, it isn't the connections. Tested it tonight. 10 volts across battery, which was just the charge left on it. Tested from back of alternator and got something like 1.6v. Tested after the connection and got the same 10 volts as I got at battery. Looks like it's skinnned knuckles on my next day off!!

Step 1

Remove the front bumper...

And no, the alternator isn't shared with anything else.

I tried changing the regulator in mine but that didn't work.

Then I bought a cheap used one but that didn't work.

Then I got the used one fixed but that still didn't work.

Then I bought a new one.

Safe yourself the trouble and buy new in the first place!

I love these cars but the type r is like a dream to work on in comparison

Update. It'sin pieces awaiting the alternator I ordered on a premium next day delivery. Phoned ECP to chase it up, and apparently, it's not in stock and shouldn't be showing in their website.

"Yeah, we can get yu one, it'll be early next week though"

Had to go with it, because it's the cheapest by far. May do some more Internet research tonight, though.

I just adore these things...

And yes... I prefer the 172 to the 182..

Yes it's French and delicate... and you're fixing something silly every fortnight..

You know you're alive when drivig one..

Late update.Fpollowing much arsing about, and a couple of polite telephone calls to express my disappointment and frustration, I ended up with a more expensive alternator from ECP, at the same price (obvs), but I ended up having to collect it from Warrington, so I didn't have to wait any longer. This was fitted, with the aid of a large jubilee clip for the aux belt tensioner, a new connector to replace the broken one on the main feed wire, and only a small amount of swearing and ranting.

Electrically, all is good *touches wood*.

However, since I bought it, there has been a vibration under hard acceleration. I had put this down to a faulty engine mount, and after having read (or dreamt) that the upper gearbox mount had been replaced, and knowing that the upper engine mount was good, presumed that the "dogbone" was worn and in need of replacement. Feeling flush, I ordered a poly bush set for it, and set about replacing said bushes, ans changing the oil and filer today.

Up on ramps, and had a look around. Found this.....

41910019814_5852097926_b.jpg2018-06-06_10-23-43 by Chris France, on Flickr

Didin't realise there was another gearbox mount at the front!!! This looks pretty shagged, and the dogbone actually seems ok. So, I'll have to get one of these ordered, and get back on it on my next day off, which is next week now. Might as well do the dogbone whilst I'm abit it, though, so I'll do the two at the same time.

Changed oil and filter, and sprayed a bit of carb cleaner into the throttle body, just to see if I could get rid of a bit of the lumpy idle. Oils nice and clean, now, but idel is still the same, not that I'm bothered.

Still love driving this thing, though, so I don't m ind throwing a couple of quid at it. MOT is due soon, hopefully that won't be too traumatic!

Upper gearbox rubber was replaced at the same time as the main top engine mount. I thought the dog bone was ok too so didn't change it. I didn't know there was another mount and can't quite place it from the picture.

Both Me and Neil were discussing this the other day as it is quite a bit (a lot) faster the the current shit 182 that arrived. 

Have you a friendly tester for the decat pipe?

Upper gearbox rubber was replaced at the same time as the main top engine mount. I thought the dog bone was ok too so didn't change it. I didn't know there was another mount and can't quite place it from the picture.

Both Me and Neil were discussing this the other day as it is quite a bit (a lot) faster the the current shit 182 that arrived.

Have you a friendly tester for the decat pipe?

It is a fucking weapon. Top cliobantz