Saabnut

Saabnuts Assorted Shite Blog - Some Success

3 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Sad to see a complete looking B5 Passat being hoisted like that - sure I could have harvested some useful bits off it! Still, they are currently still fairly common

From the rear it looked complete, there was no front end on it, no LHF suspension and most of the interior was missing. Another shiter had also been down to liberate a few bits. It had done its bit to keep others alive! :-)

Tomorrow I have a collection to do for a friend, a simple job of picking up the bodyshell from storage and delivering it to his garage about 5 miles away. To do this I will need the Discovery of Doom and my Ifor Williams trailer with the electric winch. This week another friend borrowed my trailer as I am going to store his project car in my shed whilst he moves house and he reported the winch immediately started paying out as soon as power was applied. Today I unloaded the trailer and investigated the winch.

As the motor still turns, the problem must be the control box which I suspect has had water ingress, Opened it up, and yes, there has been water in there!

145220325_IMG_00701.thumb.JPG.8f30728469048dce62cd843a4e995a7f.JPG

Tried water dispersant but it would appear I am too late for that. On the right of the picture there is a small electronic type box which concerns me as I know sod all about electronics. I removed the complete box to further investigate then had a brainwave. I thought I would take power directly from the battery to the wires to the motor via jump leads, thinking that would solve the problem for tomorrow, but as said I know sod all about these things and that did not work! I have wimped out and organised some assistants for tomorrow and will investigate the control box later. I will take a long ratchet strab as an emergency if slow winch!

As to the car I am storing, a couple of photies

1121826517_IMG_00711.thumb.JPG.4d9e5a5940709aae44ed9707cef452da.JPG

1521874249_IMG_00731.thumb.JPG.41da7f3b5877f9cf05c7482e327b2ba4.JPG

137381855_IMG_00741.thumb.JPG.c4dc13ec927f53b98df10bfb1197a754.JPG

Early start this morning (who knew there are TWO 7:30s on a Sunday) as this afternoon I had promised to help a friend paint his workshop that he is selling and this morning I had to move the latest resto project for another friend who is also my ex business partner. Bernie bought this car some 15 years ago for himself to do after he retired . He started on the Chassis about 5 yrars ago, but he keeps getting distracted with other projects like the MGB lurking in the background of one of the pics. The chassis and mechanicals are now complete so today was the day the previously shot blasted and primered shell was returned to his home garage from storage so he can start on that.

Bernie works to the highest of standards and this will be superb once finished. Anybody care to try and identify what it is?

168118834_IMG_00761.thumb.JPG.d01fbeb05ffbd86a0d7b5ba8da2f3e8f.JPG

576937664_IMG_00781.thumb.JPG.4430c904da506f7b66b9cbd0b1c24a0d.JPG

1777195631_IMG_00791.thumb.JPG.1c18bf0d641f842304732c5e83617d07.JPG

21 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

1935-7 Plymouth?

One year out! Oh, and it is not a Plymouth. 1938

The photos do not truly reflect its size and this was the smaller one! And it was RHD from new......

Been a bit* quiet due to the shite weather and a complete lack of enthusiasm! Nothin much achieved except the 53 plate Discovery TD5 I bought to replace the Discovery of Doom has done its job and the DOD has started (mostly) behaving itself so when I was offered a deal on it, I did! The main reason is I have agreed to buy a low mileage/low owner Disco 1 which I prefer so both TD5s can go. The new owner came over today to collect it (after it had gone I realised I did not have a photo of it) and he came in his p/ex.

It is scruffy, has a minging interior (it was used as a dog carrier on shoots), has no MOT and a very rotten chassis. Perfect as a spares car though and it has a nearly new set of tyres!

1198484450_IMG_00801.thumb.JPG.0b2a27c9f86405fd73d817931eb83a0b.JPG

2112785688_IMG_00821.thumb.JPG.298c4ec4fdcdb2047bd1e1c7de7ab960.JPG

On 9/26/2019 at 8:11 PM, bunglebus said:

Sad to see a complete looking B5 Passat being hoisted like that - sure I could have harvested some useful bits off it! Still, they are currently still fairly common

Had a few bits off it for mine and it was pretty well stripped when i got at it.

I knew I should not have tempted fate by selling the Discovery replacement. As soon as the Discovery Of Doom realised its proposed replacement had gone, it reverted to its old ways.  Tomorrow, I am supposed to be delivering a road roller I recently sold to its new owner just over 100 miles away. To do this I have arranged to borrow a friends plant trailer, so this morning headed off to collect it. On the way there, the DOD started making a strange noise, a grinding noise that seemed to be speed dependent but this was cured* by turning the volume up on the radio.

Trailer collected, on the way back I ran out of radio volume and the brakes seemed to be less than 100% so on arriving home, into the workshop. Front right hand caliper carrier had decided that one bolt was plenty so had got rid of the second. My fault, I obviously had not tightened it enough when I fitted the new carrier, annoying because they are special bolts at nearly a fiver each. Fortunately, being a tightwad I had kept the old bolts, and the better one soon fitted.

A test run showed the brakes are back to how they should be, but there is still a rumbling from somewhere. As it was now getting dark, decided to leave it until tomorrow. Thought I would use the time to do the last outstanding job on the recently acquired Saab 9-5, which only had one main beam headlight working. Removed the front bumper and the offending headlight and found the problem. No bulb at all, and half the bulb holder missing! At this point my rechargeable work light decided it had been working long enough and wanted a recharge so it went out.

Not much achieved................

Time for an update. Firstly some friends arrived Saturday morning (having travelled up from Maidstone and Hull) to strip the engine and gearbox from a rusty Saab 9-5 that I had collected for them. All went to plan and by mid afternoon Sunday te deed was done. Part way through...

632091877_IMG_00851.thumb.JPG.627b086108c69113c78f5abea5701ef9.JPG

And how it looks now

935674151_IMG_00861.thumb.JPG.2e85c1c394d0dc1e0598bc6251f763ce.JPG

After my friends had left with the goodies, I decided to have a look at the Discovery of Doom to see if I could track down the grinding noise. The fact it had to get over about 20mph to make itself known made it tricky to diagnose. Took it up the road and it was still there, stopped and crawled all aound/under it and could see nothing wrong and all discs were cool to the touch which basically ruled out brakes. Went back home puzzled but another friend arrived who is a professional mechanic so sent him out to test it. He came back about 5 minutes later and pronounced front nearside wheel bearing failure. A quick jack up confirmed his diagnosis as as soon as the weight came off it was very clearly stuffed! FFS, more bits ordered! A picture to shame it!

1335083911_IMG_00921.thumb.JPG.568fde931fc80ef1b987b50e4c85bf09.JPG

Whilst drinking tea with my friend, I mentioned how there was no power to the main beam headlight on the nearside of the Saab 9-5 I recently purchased from cpjitservices of this parish and how so far I had traced the wiring back but not found a problem so was suspecting something in the headlight itself, and as how several bits were missing from the headlight I was going to put an appeal on UKSaabs for a replacement. My friend, who in my defence is used to modern shite asked if I had checked the fuses, and I said it could not be a fuse as the offside was working fine, but he said some moderns have seperate fuses. Hmmmmm...

So this morning another friend came over to borrow my big trailer, the cost to him was to drop off the dead Iveco shell at the bridge as he would be passing. Fired this up for the first time since May (started first turn as it always does)

1143707575_IMG_00911.thumb.JPG.0c9094128cbbb8d5c79ed37a1e07ea3a.JPG

Reversed the trailer to the van and pushed it on to the trailer with the Massey. Trouble was as the van has no engine/box when fully on the trailer it was still very tail heavy. Decided to put the van on backwards, and to make things easier, put the fork extensions on and lifted the van and turned the trailer round. This worked but as the van has a tow bar fitted, it would not go on the trailer without destroying my electric winch. Gave up with that and put the van in a temporary storage spot until I can borrow a Stihl saw and reduce it to more managable lumps

399056490_IMG_00891.thumb.JPG.27464f339472dcca949856fdac72c739.JPG

So my friend escaped with my trailer and I got on with other things. As the Discovery is OTR until the new hub arrives, the only other vehicle on the road with a tow bar is my old Saab 900 convertible so hitched the trailer on that and loaded the roller ready to deliver it

878570817_IMG_00871.thumb.JPG.be749eaeecffcbd2e4415a41b768b4d9.JPG

After that, mindful of what my friend had said about fuses on modern cars, I had a look at the 9-5 and sure enough there are indeed seperate fuses sometimes I am a bloody idiot! . A quick swap and I had a working light and a tie wrap later and it was secured in place. Refitted the headlight and front bumper and came in feeling smug. Quick phone call and it is booked in for MOT tomorrow morning at 0945. Wish me luck!

429776669_IMG_00901.thumb.JPG.4d9aae3da467ad2f09cca4a04d6514d9.JPG

Some success today - but sadly not with the Discovery of Doom as the parts have not arrived. No, the Saab 9-5 passed its MOT today thanks to an understanding and shite friendly tester.

Tomorrow it tows a road roller down to between Edinburgh and Glasgow (Shotts), then fetches some seats to go south, then fetches a load of bits for Mr 6C. Thursday i will head for Sheffield, Saturday Leicestershire and Sunday LeMans. A proper test.....