Saabnut

Saabnuts Assorted Shite Blog - No AXes to grind!

Being an in boot tank, it is in very good condition, with just a little surface rust on the bottom from standing water in the boot whilst it has been sat in my garden. Plan is to donate it to a friend who has a series 1 landie frankenstein V8 with LPG so he can jury rig my tank and use the gas from the tank.

I took a gas tank out of a Mk2 Cortina when everyone had a Mk2 Cortina.

Had been a Taxi I think. Tank was 1/2 full. We put in in my boot, drove a mile into moorland, carried it a fair distance, opened the tap a little and ran.

It spread like a mist a foot high for a fair distance.

I was young and daft then........no longer young!

Nuts! Well bolts actually! I have reminded myself why I always bin locking wheel nuts/bolts as soon as I buy a car, but sometimes you do not get the chance to do it! Decided to swap the rear shock mounts and front calipers on the newly acquired 9-3. Got it into position in the shed and the locking wheelnut key broke clean off so now have to wait on some removal sockets arriving.

So next I decided to look at the old 9-3. I basically destroyed the plastic at the front in the winter when I hit a large lump of ice that fell off a lorry. An hour or so had it tie-wrapped and duct taped back together :lol: So I thought I would tackle the rear brakes. Spent the next hour or so trying to find my caliper wind back tool, but with no joy. Then I remembered I lent it to someone, so have spent the rest of the afternoon trying to track it down, so far without success!

Still some progress today even if not by me! My friend phoned to say the recently aborted collection thread is back on after he swapped part of the injection fuel regulator system and the Hall sensor in the dizzy so the latest acquisition is now running and ready to collect. The Discovery of Doom seems to be behaving and my trailer is being returned to me Tuesday evening so a collection should be on for later this week!

A bit up and down as usual at the moment! Wheel nut removal tools are not due until the end of the week, but I do have my wind back tool home. Remembered who I lent it to, or to be more accurate as I went through the possibilities, one of my friends said yes :-) My friend dropped it off with me, but as usual enthusiasm for that particular job had waned. Of course, it has rained since, so I have made a start in replacing the CD player in the old Saab 900 with a DAB unit, but that is going as well as anything electrical I tend to do. Came in about midday for a brew and remembered the AX is due an MOT at the end of the month. Phoned my tester to see when they had a slot and was told 3pm!

So, swapped a couple of cars around to get the AX out and off I went. When I got to the test station, I was in good company

1051067731_IMG_36721.thumb.JPG.c6507affb3639d8c0dbe1bb3c3198d9a.JPG

After a cup of coffee this happened

2069998681_IMG_36731.thumb.JPG.9abe890e5aa52ddee91595ec1b9993fb.JPG

And a bit later this happened

2088171766_IMG_36741.thumb.JPG.9f6818678a59c3af9161f03c85e9ede6.JPG

A clean pass! I was expecting to spend the next day or two with a grinder and polishing up my welding (non) skills, having never been under the AX, but both myself and the MOT tester were astonished at how good it is underneath. The tester even called my mate over (who is the stations second tester) for a look! A good dosing of waxoyl is now on the cards rather than grinding! I'll take that!