egg

Egg's 95 Mazda 323 coupé - Having a brief rest

54 minutes ago, Sir Snipes said:

Just get whatever properly fits.  'Gets right on my tits when I see JDM plates squeezed onto a UK plate shaped recess. It looks friggin awful.

It has a JDM sized recess. Which is really why I'm a bit unsure on this one.

The Mazda is having a half term breather as it arrives at 83,000 miles.

I asked local mechanic do to an oil and filter change, and while he's at it give it a good check over to see how it's bearing up doing 250 miles a week through a wet winter.

The filter is very small, on the back of the block, under all of the inlet manifold etc, so is only accessible from underneath, and you'd have to get right under the car on a jack/stands to reach it - so the value in doing the change myself is limited given the effort that would be involved in lying in the road (excuses, excuses). I asked him to go back to 5w30, it's done the last 6 months on 10w40 (cheap oil from Tesco when it was on offer).

The verdict is it is all ok 'drives well'. There's a bit of underseal pealing and he commented about the rusty wheel arch, but he says it should go through the next MOT fine (due 3 month's time in May).

We talked about doing a transmission oil change - but he said the value in it is probably minimal given age of the car. Might get another opinion on that.

So £65 for peace of mind that this 25 year old car can carry on doing it's thing for now.

One of my all time favourites, this one.

@RoadworkUK pointed me to a great brochure resource for Japanese cars in the Corona (car) thread. 

I'm loving some of the dealer options you could get on this. The little sight marker at the front, dashboard tissue holder, cup holder...

1994_neo_bj_11_b.jpg

Body kit is cool too.

Also here is the 1.8 5 speed, not sold in the UK, which I reckon could be a fun car - the 'interplay X'!

1994_neo_bj_04_b.jpg

Also, look at the ICE options!

1994_neo_bj_10_b.jpg

Great to look back at this era! One of my Edinburgh friends was batshit mad for EK Civics around 15 years ago and paid insane money for assorted JDM bits, including that parking pole thing and the associated dashboard switch. 

9 hours ago, mk2_craig said:

paid insane money for assorted JDM bits

I have found some used cup holders on ebay Germany! Obviously not a current priority! Amayama.com  (parts from Japan) still list them new...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Getrankehalter-vorn-Mazda-323C-BA-Bj-97-0036605-BC1D6439XC/292198412490

s-l1600.jpg