The Ex-forum of several shiters 95 Mazda 323 coupé - for sale again!

egg

You managed to get the DMB man to respond to a request to purchase something? That deserves a pat on the back alone.

It was a little bit grudging to be fair, and he was 'not sure I can do it for a while', but I was persistent :-)

Captive nuts are more nutty (to me anyway)

Sometimes they are called speed or chimney nuts. Basic versions are like you have with a couple of tongues bashed out for a self-tapper and others have a proper internal thread for machine screws to go into. Others have nuts attached.

Just to confuse things, star lock washers sometimes get called spire clips.

I did look at the picture of the rear window and thought it said "Tampons", though. Seemed a funny name for a car dealer.

Yeah, I removed that this morning. Not particularly attractive sticker, very crispy, and slight distraction on rear window. Measurements were taken so it can still be re-created if needed, lol.

post-20084-0-08921600-1530443141_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

As reported in the news thread, the driver's seat snapped off it's moorings again (as was done for the MOT) so this has sat doing nothing for a couple of weeks while the Mondeo takes on all duties.

I ordered a cheapo exhaust off ebay - and damn, yes it is a bit cheap!! Welding looks 'industrial' and both boxes have dents in them. It's come from Germany, so doubt I'll be asked to send it back....it will be handed over to my mech shortly and I'll expect swearing....£70 for these bits delivered.

post-20084-0-64772100-1533925297_thumb.jpg

post-20084-0-31937900-1533925305_thumb.jpg

post-20084-0-85616900-1533925312_thumb.jpg

In my experience, exhausts off ebay require so much fettling to make them actually fit that my the end of it I would have been perfectly happy to pay £500 for a custom one-off stainless system fitted by a pro just to save myself the hassle.

I'm sure that one will be absolutely fine, though

It's got three rubber mounts, and a couple of other bits - so, yes, looks like it is all there. I mean I expect it needs a new cat section and front downpipe - but this will be an improvement!

Thanks! Great spot, added to the list...It's only on 30,000 miles!

Other 323c's still in existence (and roadworthy)

M37 ACV - Green 1.5 GLX

M767 PAG - MOT expired last month, SORN'D. Up for sale for £995 April 2016. Green

N734 FBV - Red GLX

N707 FBV - White GLX Auto

M335 BLP - White GLX

(J50634 in Jersey)

• 4 weeks later...

The new exhaust has been fitted (middle and back box) haven't spoken to my mechanic yet to see if it was a faff or not. While he was at it, I got him to re-weld the loose drivers seat back on the base frame and do an oil and filter change (I supplied him bonus cheap Home Bargains Unipart 5/30w). Total bill to arrive, but the car feels a lot better.

I think there is probably a blow from the front section or even the manifold, but not farting so much now!

Conclusion: back in service.

Update - just spoken to the mechanic....

- the exhaust was too long so he had to cut and weld it  :shock: (He's not a happy bunny about that - and I won't be when I get the bill - cheap exhaust = false economy!)

- he thinks it is the downpipe blowing - so I need to get that replaced

- there's some wear on the passenger tyre on the inside - seems to be pulling left - needs looking at

- he didn't charge me for the seat welding as conceded he didn't do it well enough first time.

Pull left may be the tyre itself, especially if it's got odd wear on it.

Yep, agree, new tyres are on the 'long list' of jobs anyway. So usual dilemma, do I just order a pair of fronts anyway at cheap online prices, or take it to a local place, who might say I can leave it for a bit - or charge me a lot for a ditchfinder.

I think you’d be struggling to find an exhausts all let alone a decent one for that. A Bosal or whatever would be easier to fit but at the banger end of the market you would be looking considerably more to buy it so it’s swings and roundabouts. I’d see if the down pipe is blowing from the gasket or round the flex. If it’s cracked you can get them welded if you can find someone good at welding cast but they often crack again. At the risk of sounding like a bodger I’d get some sikaflex and paste it over a crack if there is one. Might work for longer than you’d expect.

Blackcircles will do Yoko Bluearths for £55 a corner which I really liked on my Fusion, or Avons @ £43 each. 

Current tyres dated 2013.

I think this car has done a lot of sitting about, so they may have gone a bit out of shape in this summer's heat. 

I think you’d be struggling to find an exhausts all let alone a decent one for that. A Bosal or whatever would be easier to fit but at the banger end of the market you would be looking considerably more to buy it so it’s swings and roundabouts. I’d see if the down pipe is blowing from the gasket or round the flex. If it’s cracked you can get them welded if you can find someone good at welding cast but they often crack again. At the risk of sounding like a bodger I’d get some sikaflex and paste it over a crack if there is one. Might work for longer than you’d expect.

Might be an option. I'm still not sure how long this car is staying with me, so depends on how much I want to spend, just pushes the future roffle price up :-)