A Minor Adventure continues...

17-Coffees

I've always wanted a classic, something properly old. I also wanted something I could tinker with and make my own. This ticks both box's. 

So yesterday I bought my first classic, Tickman's old 1957 Morris Minor.  :mrgreen:

Driving it was fun, and better than I expected, really made me think and plan ahead but not as hard as I expected (The brakes are better than I though), but it'll take a little while to get used to it.

So my plans? Since it runs fine, it's just cosmetic things for now. Tidy up inside and out, replace bits of trim and so on. Also, I'll under-seal it!

I'll also paint the wings, probably just rattle can some primer on them for the time being. Just to make it all look one colour from 10 steps away. 

As it stands, it's still with Tickman just now getting a few things sorted, nothing major, so once it's in my garage, i'll get round to a proper post!

The 60 mile drive home will be an experience!

Lovely to see this old girl staying on here. Good idea on rattle canning the wings as well - the rest of the paintwork looks half tidy, so it’ll transform it back in one colour. Report back on how it drives - I still remember that I could wheelspin my old ‘69 saloon ridiculously easily.

I had a shot of it as well. The only other 'properly old' vehicle I've driven was a series 3 Land Rover.

This thing was lovely in comparison! Tickman was demonstrating that it is very easy to lock up all 4 wheels too.

My driving experience of this can be summed up with one statement I said while in the driver's seat: "where the fuck is 3rd gear?"

probably just rattle can some primer on them for the time being. Just to make it all look one colour from 10 steps away. 

Are the wings metal? Primer is porous, so make sure you add proper paint otherwise it will make it rust even faster, unless they are fibreglass in which case go for your life.

I had a shot of it as well. The only other 'properly old' vehicle I've driven was a series 3 Land Rover.This thing was lovely in comparison! Tickman was demonstrating that it is very easy to lock up all 4 wheels too.My driving experience of this can be summed up with one statement I said while in the driver's seat: "where the fuck is 3rd gear?"

Used to Land Rover gearboxes?

post-3942-0-65098200-1525618306_thumb.jpeg

Are the wings metal?

Thankfully they are fibreglass, so rust won’t be a problem.

Had an update from Tickman, he’s fitted a pair of seas from a Rover 220 coupe for me. They’ll help make the journey back more comfortable.

post-19988-0-11854400-1525623922_thumb.jpeg

I’ll be keeping the original ones, and probably fit them when I get it home.

As well as thet, he’s fitted a new water pump too!

post-19988-0-56173600-1525624342_thumb.jpeg

I can’t stop saying it, but massive thank you for that Tickman! :D

I'd be tempted to just leave the Rover seats in it. I really like the contrast between the seats and the steering wheel.

It’s crossed my mind that though! But I feel I’d end up with people thinking it’s a ratty looking sleeper running a V8 and want to try race it, rather than it being a ratty looking Minor.

-

I’ve made a list of things I’ll plan to do, and been searching for parts as well. I knew there was a plentiful supply of new and used parts with it being a popular classic, but also how cheap as well! Which is a bonus! :D

On another note, what does everyone recommend for under seal? Waxoil or anything better?

.......On another note, what does everyone recommend for under seal? Waxoil or anything better?

Waxoil isn't underseal, it is just a gloopy stuff to keep wet away from metal. There are lots of better alternatives, but waxoil smells quite nice. If you mix it with old oil and spray it everywhere twice a year it'll do.

Guest Hooli

Often get problems with 2nd. Worn syncro, snicks when selecting.

Can jump out on overrun.

Well it is a Leyland, but I just meant they are nice & precise to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Majestic.

post-19988-0-87198400-1526744107_thumb.jpeg

Finally picked it up today, admittedly I had some doubts and afterthoughts having bought it but having driven from Forfar to Ellon (70 miles or so) I’m pleased as punch! :D

Handled the A90 fine, as well as Aberdeen City Center. Everyone loves it it seems, friends, family, neighbors and randoms all smile when they see it.

Full report later today, as I’m just toddling about in it now enjoying the weather! B)

The all-important pez shot!

post-19977-0-04083700-1526746265_thumb.jpg

We then stopped past a car meet on the way through Aberdeen. It drew a wee bit of attention.

post-19977-0-99406100-1526746256_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-29639000-1526746313_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-67716300-1526746335_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-06863900-1526746351_thumb.jpg

Once we got to Ellon, we went for a little drive. It's a very pleasant way to bimble around.